Ordering Car Parts

651 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by txyaloo
caddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have a recommendation on where to order parts from if RockAuto is out of stock on a part? I am looking a for a cowl trim piece that goes at the base of the windshield for an explorer. I realize I can go to a dealership but I'd like to try to save a few bucks if possible.
txyaloo
AG
Search the part number on ebay or Amazon. 90% of the time, Amazon is cheaper than Rock Auto after tax and shipping.

You might also check Advance Auto with the part number. I picked up some F150 grilles from them last year using a 20% off coupon that made it a lot cheaper than any of the online stores.
Flaith
AG
Yeah, definitely get the part number first. Summit is usually my 2nd e-stop on my e-shopping e-journey.
tree91
AG
Try LKQ if you're ok with a junkyard part. They're awesome.

https://lkqonline.com/
dodger02
AG
You have to be a little careful with some parts at places like Amazon and Ebay. I know NGK cautions people to only buy their plugs from reputable dealers (e.g. Summit or RockAuto) for fear of counterfeits.

But for something like cowl trim, Ebay may work well.
Ag for Life
AG
dodger02 said:

You have to be a little careful with some parts at places like Amazon and Ebay. I know NGK cautions people to only buy their plugs from reputable dealers (e.g. Summit or RockAuto) for fear of counterfeits.

Yep. Amazon has a ton of counterfeit parts, buyer beware!

For Ford trim pieces and factory parts I order from out of state dealers direct. (Fairway Ford in Ohio is one) For whatever reason that is way cheaper than the local dealer parts counter.
texags08
AG
Ag for Life said:

dodger02 said:

Yep. Amazon has a ton of counterfeit parts, buyer beware!

For Ford trim pieces and factory parts I order from out of state dealers direct. (Fairway Ford in Ohio is one) For whatever reason that is way cheaper than the local dealer parts counter.

Agreed, I lucked into finding a new driveshaft at a Dallas dealership, but all of the local dealerships were hundreds of dollars higher. The out of state ones had the same pricing as Dallas but I would have had to pay a ton in shipping. Bonus that I already had to drive to Dallas for work to pick it up.
txyaloo
AG
dodger02 said:

That's the only reason I suggested those. Doesn't really matter if it's a knock off and easy to return to Amazon. I replaced the cowl on my F250 with a knock off a few years ago with no issues. $50 vs something like $250 for the ford piece.

Now that everyone online charges tax, I tend to buy local for normal car parts. Advanced nearly always has a 15-20% off coupon. I get parts same day, and don't have to screw with terrible customer service when trying to swap out a lifetime warranty part. I had to do 3 executive escalations with Amazon over the last few years when they refused to swap out a lifetime warranty part.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.