Chevy Silverado opinions

1,341 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by FIDO*98*
Pac1698
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm thinking of getting a Chevy Silverado 1500. I'm looking at either the LTZ or the High Country and trying to decide if it's worth the price to get the 6.2 V8 or go with the 5.3. I don't need the 6.2, but most of the trucks that I'm looking at have that engine. Is the high country worth the extra money (better ride comfort)? I'm replacing an F-150 lariat that was great except for the v6 eco boost engine. It made my wife car sick the way it shifted.
crowman2010
AG
Pac1698 said:

I'm thinking of getting a Chevy Silverado 1500. I'm looking at either the LTZ or the High Country and trying to decide if it's worth the price to get the 6.2 V8 or go with the 5.3. I don't need the 6.2, but most of the trucks that I'm looking at have that engine. Is the high country worth the extra money (better ride comfort)? I'm replacing an F-150 lariat that was great except for the v6 eco boost engine. It made my wife car sick the way it shifted.
3.0L Diesel - you're welcome!
Owner - Mosquito and Pest Authority | www.bugsbite.com
3rd Platoon
AG
My 2019 Silverado has a 5.3, and it's great. It's more than what I need despite how awesome the 6.2 is. My biggest gripe isn't the engine, though. Mine still has the 8-speed transmission, and the 1st-2nd gear shift up and down is notorious for lurching. I've had the transmission checked and programmed twice, both under warranty.

Otherwise, I've put 78K miles on it, and it's been great, especially on familiar road trips. Mine is the RST trim with leather and parking sensors. I love my truck!
Ag for Life
AG
Pac1698 said:

You do realize that if you get a GM 10 speed transmission they were co-developed by GM and Ford and are virtually identical?
ElephantRider
AG
FWIW everyone I know that has one loves the 3.0 diesel. That would be my top option if I were looking at a 1500
Pac1698
AG
Yes, it's a little embarrassing being a mechanical engineer and not thinking that comment through, I think it's actually the torque that is causing the lurching. It's very responsive which sucks in stop and go traffic (and that's even driving it in ECO mode). Does that make more sense?
Pac1698
AG
I finished my test drive and was very happy with the 5.3, it's definitely enough comfort and power for daily driving and going to the ranch. It's the high country midnight edition, I would have preferred a standard version, but they all seem to come with 22" wheels, which is not my thing. If this one falls through then I might look into the diesel. But I don't really tow anything, so I'm not sure if there's a need to validate the extra upfront cost and maintenance.
ghollow
AG
My brother has a 21 High Country with the 6.2. It has been a good truck for him. It does tow well and is very comfortable. He pulls a 37' travel trailer and a large boat with it regularly. I have travelled in it many times. It is the Midnight version as well I think. It is full loaded.

All that being said, I have always been a Ford guy. I think Fords hold up to rough treatment better. I am not kind to my trucks.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
crowman2010
AG
crowman2010 said:

Pac1698 said:

3.0L Diesel - you're welcome!
To add to this: I own a '21 1500 AT4 with the 6.2L. It does have a lot of pep, and it sounds great, but my dad has as Silvy with the 3.0L and it has a LOT of power, and the fuel economy can't be beat (he's getting nearly 30mpg highway, I only ever get around 19-21).

Also - my 6.2L had the dreaded lifter failure, so you have that to think about as well. From what I've seen, the 3.0L has been pretty bullet proof.
Owner - Mosquito and Pest Authority | www.bugsbite.com
Towns03
AG
1996-2003 had two different 350s as daily drivers
03 - 21 I had thee different 5.3s
21- present I'm on my second 6.2 high country (one was stolen)

The 6.2 is so much more fun and powerful than anything I've had in a lifetime of GM trucks. And the MPG is better than the older 5.3s! I will never not have a 6.2 or whatever the higher HP option is.
aggieforester05
AG
I'm about to sell mine before the lifers go bad and my old man is doing the same with his. No way I could recommend buying one of these, when GM leaves you hanging as soon as the warranty is up to replace their crappy design for $5K-$10K.

Teslag
AG
The upfront cost of the 3.0 diesel and 6.2 are about the same. Maintenance costs between the two are negligible
FIDO*98*
AG
GMC Sierra. Same truck with a much better looking front end
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.