Ignition Coils

1,242 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by BartInLA
BartInLA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2007 Toyota Rav4 Six-cylinder 3.5 Liter Engine

Prices range from $62 TOTAL online for a set of SIX to $129 EACH at a local chain auto store.

Suggestions?
1. I just need one but should I change all six while I've got 5 hours of labor into taking so many parts off to get the the back 3?
2. Recommended brands?

From $11 each to $129 each. Puzzled as to what's complete junk!!!

My thoughts are:

Bosch
Denso
NGK

and maybe Delphi

Thank you in advance.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
I can't speak to Toyota, but when replacing coils on a Ford I always buy the OEM/Motorcraft brand.

As you said, it's some work to replace the coils on the back side of the V6 and you don't want to go cheap, have one fail, and have to do the job over again.

When I've had to replace either a coil, a fuel injector or a spark plug on the backside of a V6 I always go ahead and replace them all, but that's just me.

You certainly can get a better deal online than in the local auto parts store, but make sure you buy something reliable.
txyaloo
AG
BartInLA said:

2007 Toyota Rav4 Six-cylinder 3.5 Liter Engine

Prices range from $62 TOTAL online for a set of SIX to $129 EACH at a local chain auto store.

Suggestions?
1. I just need one but should I change all six while I've got 5 hours of labor into taking so many parts off to get the the back 3?
2. Recommended brands?

From $11 each to $129 each. Puzzled as to what's complete junk!!!

My thoughts are:

Bosch
Denso
NGK

and maybe Delphi

Thank you in advance.
Don't buy from amazon or ebay. If you're seeing a set of 6 NGK or Denso or any name brand for $62, they're counterfeit.

I'd go with the OE Denso from Rock Auto. Make sure you snag a 5% coupon online

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2140918&cc=1434677&pt=7060&jsn=895&_nck=ZExt1ysfqhqWnq%2BEvUNdS3Txyey60IDtnjPWF5UU9J0BWQv7pvqZbh%2BYrdIIoJ2QvjAcW39YRTU02C77No248W9oPPOPBa0%2ByMrUiaYjGVdwQceOjej2TuRe8f1GOf47sMaJHuB2tqvqdSsnDMzZS%2BPFgkvTqkWLJjTgSFbjxLIEoUnmw9rY%2F0VceBSMNrolHasAF0a19jnBEAdS2RhJtDUAkboJUCc05%2FAooYoMS4O36vYjUGjnU3ReekVboKYUlNGO9ij3TcIDfaYi2v%2FjWr%2B6eW99yjoUdDBopgprkOhX41G%2F9BBtx3DELdVg0xNZ

Shane431
AG
Buy Denso from Rockauto.
maroon barchetta
Shane431 said:

Buy Denso from Rockauto.

This.

I've replaced 3 or 4 on my Tundra. It's a breeze on that V8. When I replace one I immediately order another Denso from Rock Auto and keep it ready for the next one that goes out.

They are usually $60 each or thereabouts.
BartInLA
Thank you to everyone, especially txyaloo.
I went with the link sent and ordered Denso. About $57 each plus 5% discount.
A bolt head rounded off the first night and I had to buy Blast penetrating oil and a left-handed drill bit (sounds like a joke) to get it out of there. I ended up buying a Craftsman 2000 lumen floodlight and spent three nights working on it. After 9 pm on school nights, I was drenching with sweat and so I would take off my shirt and work until midnight. If I had to change one ignition coil on the front three, it would taken me a total of 20 minutes. Dropping tools and having to find them with a magnet and having other issues (I have a degree in mechanical engineering, but I'm not a good mechanic), sadly, I probably put in 10 hours of labor (to this point) and 2 hours at the store buying tools. The parts are supposed to come in Wednesday.

There's nothing like dropping a wrench and going underneath your car to find it and then coming face-to-face with a toad that's next to the inside side of the tire. We just looked at each other. He's like, "man what are you doing down here at this time of night?" I think he sensed that I wasn't a predator.
purplehayes
Where are you located?
txyaloo
AG
I feel like most of us have lived this story a few times in our car repair adventures over the years

One thing I've learned wrenching, when I get frustrated and start making mistakes, it's time to pack up for a while and take a break. I screw up way more stuff when tired/frustrated than when rested with a clearer mind. I tend to get in "can't see the forest for the trees" mode. It can really be a challenge getting to the back cylinders on transverse engines.

Have you watched any youtube videos to make sure you have the right tools and know the tips and tricks to do this job? I hate to say it, but if it's taking this long to do, I'd also swap the spark plugs at the same time. You're doing 99% of the same labor to get the coils out. If they're going bad, it's likely time to replace the plugs.

I didn't watch the entire video, but found this one for you.

Jack Cheese
AG
txyaloo said:

I feel like most of us have lived this story a few times in our car repair adventures over the years

Lord, I know I have. I've posted about a couple of them here - once asking for help after breaking some bolt heads on a water pump by applying 70 foot-pounds torque instead of inch-pounds. The auto board talked me off the ledge that night!

Similar to you, I have learned that the adage "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" applies to car repair. It sounds hokey but I try to get into a zenlike state before I start, then I keep reminding myself to outsmart the problem, not outmuscle it.

This has cut down on my errors significantly as well as preserved my blood pressure.
Tim Weaver
There's been an influx of incredibly cheap crapoy car parts from China over the last decade. So bad that the stuff arrives DOA even. Its gotten incredibly bad over the last 5 or so years. China is buying up the aftermarket brands that used to be "cheap but good". Like Moog. You can now get two "levels" from Moog. The cheap ones are absolute trash.

In todays market you literally can't afford to buy chinese junk. It may look cheap, but you'll be doing that job over again with the proper oem part pretty quick after the chinese junk dies an early death.
BartInLA
purplehayes said:

Where are you located?

Far North Montgomery County
BartInLA
That is an excellent video and its what I used. My only complaint is once he goes after what I found the trickiest bolt with no pause. This video portion was gone in 0.9 seconds. I thought the manifold had 5 bolts underneath holding them on. This video is of a 2008, while mine is a 2007. after a lot of frustration, trying to go for that "5th" bolt that I only thought I saw using a flashlight and mirror, I said well let me just pull up on this thing and the manifold came right off. Also, I forget which one, The turns out one bolt needed a 13 mm. I thought no way they're using an odd one like that, but they were and then added another 30 minutes. Like I said, I'm not a good mechanic. I thoroughly enjoy when I finally fix something and I learned a lot, but at times I just wanna say screw it. I know that even if I spend $250 in parts and maybe another hundred dollars in tools it's a lot cheaper than getting a $800-$1000 bill from the mechanic even though I was probably making $7.15 an hour on my labor.
Great video still!!!!
BartInLA
rockauto.com rocks

I do not trust eBay with their low prices. I'm certain that many of these are absolutely counterfeit.
Tim Weaver
BartInLA said:

rockauto.com rocks

I do not trust eBay with their low prices. I'm certain that many of these are absolutely counterfeit.
Just learn how to use Rockauto properly. Place one thing in your cart, then there will be a small "delivery van" icon next to items that come out of the same warehouse. If you pick something from another warehouse your shipping gets pretty expensive real quick.
TexAg1987
Sounds like I am too late, but I would replace the three hard ones and keep the good ones for spares when/if the front 3 start to go.
BartInLA
TexAg1987 said:

Sounds like I am too late, but I would replace the three hard ones and keep the good ones for spares when/if the front 3 start to go.

I did exactly that so to speak. 3 new ones are going in the back Wednesday and 3 old ones that didn't throw codes are going in the front.
BartInLA
After exactly 2 weeks it's done and the car runs snappy. I made some mistakes but I learned. 3 new coils on the back. 3 original 2007 coils gone.
agracer
AG
BartInLA said:

Thank you to everyone, especially txyaloo.
I went with the link sent and ordered Denso. About $57 each plus 5% discount.
A bolt head rounded off the first night and I had to buy Blast penetrating oil and a left-handed drill bit (sounds like a joke) to get it out of there. I ended up buying a Craftsman 2000 lumen floodlight and spent three nights working on it. After 9 pm on school nights, I was drenching with sweat and so I would take off my shirt and work until midnight. If I had to change one ignition coil on the front three, it would taken me a total of 20 minutes. Dropping tools and having to find them with a magnet and having other issues (I have a degree in mechanical engineering, but I'm not a good mechanic), sadly, I probably put in 10 hours of labor (to this point) and 2 hours at the store buying tools. The parts are supposed to come in Wednesday.

There's nothing like dropping a wrench and going underneath your car to find it and then coming face-to-face with a toad that's next to the inside side of the tire. We just looked at each other. He's like, "man what are you doing down here at this time of night?" I think he sensed that I wasn't a predator.
Dear Penthouse Forums....
BartInLA
Dear Penthouse Field & Streams Forums
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.