Weekend Automotive Endeavors

4,028 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by dubi
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty much me, any time I work on a vehicle

txyaloo
AG
That monkey probably knows more about tuning a carb than I do.

Glad to see this thread revived.

Only took 8 months, but I finally repaired my F250's squirrel eaten wiring harness. My new vacuum harness came from up your way - Gene Messer Ford in Amarillo. Was surprised an 18yr old vac harness was still available new from Ford.

CanyonAg77
AG
In the early 2000s, dad got a NOS steering rod for a 1942 JD model LA. It was on the shelf in a Vermont dealership, but had been listed in Deere's online database. Kind of cool that old parts are still around
maroon barchetta
I found a nail in my tire doing a 360 walk around of my truck before I got in earlier.

Tire is currently holding air so I'll get it looked at tomorrow.
mm98
AG
Replaced taillight bulbs
Mookie
AG
Just picked up an 07 Solstice GXP. Put a new head unit in (wireless CarPlay) and repaired a broken trim piece.
Frisco
AG
Washed and installed a 12v outlet in the bed for the portable fridge
Corps_Ag12
AG
Opened up rock auto boxes for the new headlight & taillight assemblies for the suburban
Complete Idiot
Mookie said:

Just picked up an 07 Solstice GXP. Put a new head unit in (wireless CarPlay) and repaired a broken trim piece.
Almost picked up a Saturn Sky a couple years ago, wanted a convertible RWD manual fun car - ended up with a C5 Corvette but always felt the Saturn would have been more unique and odd. Looks are subjective (I just bought a car many find ugly), but I did prefer the Sky to the Solstice - liked both, just preferred the nose of the Sky. Might have been influenced by the fact I wanted a Saturn, which is just an odd defunct brand. Pontiac is an iconic defunct brand.
Canyon99
AG
Went shopping for a vehicle to replace my daughter's RX 350 that was totaled from a lady that decided to make an unprotected left turn.
EskimoJoe
Replaced the spare tire carrier on the 06 duramax. That part is a common failure, and mine failed in 2015. I've made a lot of trips and forgot to throw the tire in during these last 9 years.
AggieRob93
AG
Replaced rear rotors and pads on a 2019 Audi Q7. Was a little tricky deciding how to support her once she was jacked up, ended up using jack stands with short pieces of wooden 2x3 at the lift points along the drip rail.

Wasn't able to retract the brake piston using the scanner I have, but the manual process wasn't too bad. Worst part was trying to torque the caliper carrier bolts to 120ft lbs with limited space in the wheel well and not enough room under the car to swing a long torque wrench.

Also cleaned up the carriers and ceramic coated them as they came completely off the car for the rotor change out.
Burdizzo
AG
Build a wooden cart for my Jeep tub and set it on there upside down so I can start replacing some of the braces.
agracer
AG
Finally (at least I hope) figured out why we kept kept getting MAF and Lean run O2 errors on my son's 07 HIghlander.

Feel so dumb that I missed it, but the air intake hose that goes to the resonator (after the MAF) had a huge split in two places in it. Really no clue how we missed it for the last 6 months but it was right in front of my face. Took 15m to swap out and clear the codes. So far all is well.
big ben
AG
Did my own oil change on the truck for the first time in like 7 years. I forgot I put a Fumoto drain valve on years ago and quickly reminded myself how great they are.

Changed out manual trans fluid on the car to amsoil for smoother shifts
Furlock Bones
AG
Did a quick oil change on the gladiator. Easiest oil change there is. Cartridge filter and exactly 5 quarts of oil.
Mookie
AG
Just wrapped up replacing the battery cable terminals on the solstice GXP. OEM lugs were failtastic.
TSJ
AG
Post some pics of the gxp! Manual?
MouthBQ98
AG
Honda AC compressor clutch stopped working, I checked the low pressure switch and replaced the relay with a spare and no dice. I need to get a new manifold and refill kit as mine is damaged so I can't check the refrigerant level, but it's possible the clutch just isn't working or failed somehow. The compressor illegal is spinning freely.

If I have to replace a compressor it isn't that bad. The compressor is easy to get to, I just don't want to go through the process.
Mookie
AG
Yes it's a manual. I haven't figured out how to post pics after 25 years on texags.
maroon barchetta
Changed oil on the Tundra. 283,000 miles and still purring.

Getting the splash guard off is the thing that takes the longest when you have a Fumoto valve.
Complete Idiot
maroon barchetta said:

Getting the splash guard off is the thing that takes the longest when you have a Fumoto valve.
I hate having to deal with that on my Sequoia, takes up all the time.
maroon barchetta
Meh. It's not too bad.
Burdizzo
AG
I have had to replace a few AC compressor clutches over the years. I don't know what brand the Honda uses, but my complaint about that job usually involves snap rings that are hard to get to.
Burdizzo
AG
Brushing up on my welding skills. Can you believe it has been about 35 years since the last time I welded and my first time using a wire welder?

Yes, it is that bad.

dubi
AG
Mookie said:

Yes it's a manual. I haven't figured out how to post pics after 25 years on texags.
Email in profile. I'll post them for you.
dubi
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Mr Dubi changed the oil on our 2005 Tundra. 76,605 miles and still purring.
maroon barchetta
When are y'all going to break that thing in?
ktownag08
AG
AC evaporator coil flush followed by duct clean with Microban. Super easy.

Pretty disgusting what came out, but noticably fresher air coming out.
dubi
AG
maroon barchetta said:

When are y'all going to break that thing in?
Typically it goes to the range on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays which is about 100 miles a month.

Add in Lowe's and Home Depot runs for the house.

It has been driven daily for a few weeks as an unlicensed and uninsured drive hit our 2024 Santa Cruz. Classic Doug has it in his shop.
maroon barchetta
Unlicensed and uninsured.

I'm shocked.

Hope they went to jail.
dubi
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Unlicensed and uninsured.

I'm shocked.

Hope they went to jail.
Nope. She just went home to her mama who let her drive the car.
big ben
AG
txyaloo
AG
Pulled the Cayenne's driver door panel, glued the leather back down, sanded down a ridge, and re-dyed. Not perfect, but didn't cost $4500 that Porsche wants for a door panel.

3M 04747 is some amazing stuff. Not sure why I ever screwed around with JB Weld and others.
EskimoJoe
Spent the last couple weeks or so chasing a wandering idle and immediate stall (sometimes) after a hot start issue on the White Nationalist. I've changed the EGR valve, CTS, ICM, coil, and most recently the TPS and IAC Saturday. It's better but I'm not convinced I got it just yet. However, Sunday I stopped for fuel on the way out to the inlaws and was greated by coolant running out from under it. So Monday I did a water pump and thermostat.

With all the attention the WN has been getting, I feel like I have created this situation.

So, the foggy headlights on the LBZ have been bothering me for a while, even though it isn't my DD. I upgraded all the bulbs to Sylvania LEDs a couple years ago and that helped out tremendously for visibility. This Nilight housing kit came in today.

Nilight Headlight Assembly for 2003 2004 2005 2006 Chevy Silverado Avalanche 1500 1500HD 2500 2500HD 3500 Chevrolet Pickup Replacement Headlamp Housing Bumper Lamp Set https://a.co/d/4ASpQJ7

$102 delivered to me for all 4 housings.

It even came with gloves in the box.

side by side

before

after

Although cheap, the initial quality of these housings seems to be really good. I'm impressed. Time will tell though, but I will be suprised if there are any issues as she is in the garage 340 days a year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.