Weekend Automotive Endeavors

4,033 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by dubi
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's amazing what new headlight housing do. Brightened up the front of the '05 Burb just like yours did. My suburban is the same color as your cat eye.
CanyonAg77
AG
May have to try the Nilights. I got some other Amazon brand from China, trying to align them is like giving an eye test to Marty Feldman.

txyaloo
AG
Drove ~6hrs yesterday in the muck but cleaned up nicely today

Complete Idiot
Looks great, tell me more - I just can't keep up with all car models
Green2Maroon
AG
Porsche Something or Other I think.
txyaloo
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Looks great, tell me more - I just can't keep up with all car models
Thanks! 2014 Cayenne Turbo S. I think they're relatively "rare" even in the world of Porsche where everything is rare. I have a softronic tune on it which they claim is 615hp/645tq but haven't had it on a dyno so who knows.

Quote:

Porsche Something or Other I think.
Some days I look at this thing from the front and see a huge early 2000s VW bug. Those are the days I wish it was an X5M .
EskimoJoe
I've only kicked the lights on to make sure they work. They claim to be adjusted from the factory but I haven't verified it yet. They do appear to be easy to adjusted if needed.
The Wonderer
AG
Bought this a few weeks ago. Finally getting back to working on it after being on vacation the last two weeks.

*I'm a lawyer, but not your lawyer. This is not legal advice and an attorney-client relationship does not exist between you and me*
txyaloo
AG
That's awesome! I've kicked myself the last few years for not buying the integrated Bronco camper I saw locally. They're rare and super cool.

This has been catching my attention on FBM:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/498288602749398

The Wonderer
AG
txyaloo said:

That's awesome! I've kicked myself the last few years for not buying the integrated Bronco camper I saw locally. They're rare and super cool.

Oh, I would be all over that for no other reason than the uniqueness.
Furlock Bones
AG
Changed the oil in my wife's 4Runner. If I see the tech at Mike Calvert Toyota again, I would like to punch that dip sheet right in the nose. I had to get out my breaker bar to loosen the oil filter cap. It was too much even for my M12 impact driver to break loose.
Burdizzo
AG
txyaloo said:

If you buy that you are required to paint "The Good Old Boys" on the side
Tim Weaver
A few years ago I sold a motorcycle (2005 V-Strom) and a few weeks ago I saw it on FB marketplace and bought it back. It just fits me like a glove and I missed it too much.

There's been some questionable work done to it over the last two owners so i'm going about setting things right.

Job one was that somebody drilled through the kickstand and bolted on a piece of aluminum to make a bigger foot. It was loose and rattly and the screws were stripped so I tried to pry it off but the steel part (now swiss cheesed) came with it.

So I cut out a chunk of scrap steel and layed down some perfect TikTok-able beads.....

And then I painted it. Looks fine and it'll hold....

After that I cleaned the throttle body on my 2005 Volvo XC70. Made a MASSIVE difference in idle and throttle response.
Rattler12
Tim Weaver said:

A few years ago I sold a motorcycle (2005 V-Strom) and a few weeks ago I saw it on FB marketplace and bought it back. It just fits me like a glove and I missed it too much.

There's been some questionable work done to it over the last two owners so i'm going about setting things right.

Job one was that somebody drilled through the kickstand and bolted on a piece of aluminum to make a bigger foot. It was loose and rattly and the screws were stripped so I tried to pry it off but the steel part (now swiss cheesed) came with it.

So I cut out a chunk of scrap steel and layed down some perfect TikTok-able beads.....

After that I cleaned the throttle body on my 2005 Volvo XC70. Made a MASSIVE difference in idle and throttle response.
That "gorilla" weld is why they make 4 in grinders and abrasive wheels.......
Tim Weaver
Rattler12 said:

Tim Weaver said:

That "gorilla" weld is why they make 4 in grinders and abrasive wheels.......
I usually try to pretty up my pathetic welding, but I was in a hurry and this is kinda fiddly. One of my to-do projects is to build a welding table/cart that my vise can attach to. Having a loose vice and working on the driveway means I didn't want to artfully sculpt my instagram welds! lol
txyaloo
AG
Replaced the #5 coil/plug on the M6 after getting a reduced power code. Thankfully, that's the most accessible coil/plug (deep in the gap between the maf and PS reservoir). Not looking forward to doing the rest. Both engine computers and some other parts have to be removed to get to the back cylinders.

dubi
AG
Check engine light on my 2024 Palisade with 3k miles. Prayers it is easy as I just dropped it off.
Complete Idiot
dubi said:

Check engine light on my 2004 Palisade with 3k miles. Prayers it is easy as I just dropped it off.
Wow 150 miles a year what a collectible
whoop_2004
Replaced the distributor in my sons 87 GMC, now fighting the dreaded "code 42" that happens on these early TBI motors
dubi
AG
Complete Idiot said:

dubi said:

Check engine light on my 2004 Palisade with 3k miles. Prayers it is easy as I just dropped it off.
Oops. 2024
Complete Idiot
dubi said:

Complete Idiot said:

dubi said:

Oops. 2024
I knew, but at first I just saw 2004 and 3K miles

Sucks to have a new car pop a check engine light. Don't have a code reader? Would at least give you a code to google to see how bad it might be. Warranty regardless.
Roger350
AG
Thursday evening changed the oil in the Pacifica Hybrid. Saturday morning changed the oil in the Tahoe and while there saw the LH CV Boot had puked all it's lube very recently. Thought I smelled something different the last week, but it leaks enough oil that smelling something when it's hot isn't unusual. I replaced both OEM half shafts with O'Reilly's lifetime parts years ago. This has to be at least the 3rd I've gotten for free with that warranty. Still not what I wanted to do with the rest of the day, but oh well. I always start out thinking I can get it out without removing the strut. It looks like undoing the sway bar will free up enough space to sneak it out, but it never is. If I just remembered that I would save a bunch of time taking out the strut to begin with. Maybe I'll remember next time...
dubi
AG
Quote:

Sucks to have a new car pop a check engine light. Don't have a code reader? Would at least give you a code to google to see how bad it might be. Warranty regardless.
We had an ancient code reader but the Palisade was too new for it to even work. So I bought a new one from Amazon and we are GTG for next time.

Hyundai called me this morning and said it was a gas tank sensor and should be ready on Friday.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.