First Car Recommendations

2,313 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by The Kraken
aggiefan2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oldest turns 15 in a couple months, so I am starting to think about first car options. Would love feedback from those who have been here and done it before me.

Goal is to spend $25,000 or less and safety obviously feels very important. She likes the Rav4's for what it's worth. I could see her driving this through college, but I could also see us getting her something else when she goes to college depending on a variety of factors.

Thanks in advance!
Furlock Bones
AG
Used Range Rover is always a good decision.
bam02
AG
For 25,000 you should be able to get a nice gently used RAV4. I would also maybe look at the Mazda equivalent.

Obviously, it's up to you, but anything you get her for 25 grand should certainly get her through college unless you just wanted to get her upgrade then
water turkey
Used Toyota Camry. You don't need to spend $25,000 either.

I put three teenagers through 10 year old Camrys. They are are cheap to own, cheap to operate, safe and bullet proof.

Rav4 is basically the SUV version of the Camry. Won't go wrong there either.
AggieDruggist89
AG
aggiefan2002 said:

Oldest turns 15 in a couple months, so I am starting to think about first car options. Would love feedback from those who have been here and done it before me.

Goal is to spend $25,000 or less and safety obviously feels very important. She likes the Rav4's for what it's worth. I could see her driving this through college, but I could also see us getting her something else when she goes to college depending on a variety of factors.

Thanks in advance!
10 years ago, we bought a brand new Prius (less than $25K) when daughter was 15. She learned to drive in a Prius. Drove some in HS. Took it to college. Then took it to Law School in upstate NY. I fitted it with Michelin Crossclimate, new battery and a battery pack (she didn't even know it was in the trunk storage until recently and used it).

She got a job in NYC and doesn't need a car. I told her her next car will be paid for by her.

Dad for the win..now has a 10 year old Prius with 87,000 miles on it.. kinda dirty and banged up some.

But I'm getting 55mpg around town! And when I get a dirty look, I just smirk "it's my daughter's car."

Son has a Prius Prime (plug in hybrid)...going off to college....

This too can be your story... in a RAV4. Choose wisely and buy a car that will last 300,000 miles. Like a used Range Rover like mentioned before.
AggieDruggist89
AG
water turkey said:

I put three teenagers through 10 year old Camrys. They are are cheap to own, cheap to operate, safe and bullet proof.

Rav4 is basically the SUV version of the Corolla Camry. Won't go wrong there either.
Highlander = Camry.
Aggietaco
AG
Since you noted oldest, I'm assuming you have more in the pipeline. In which case, I think it would be wise to have a starter car with some character that can act as each of your kid's first cars and then they can graduate to something mildly nicer when they head off to college.

Either way, Camry, Corolla, Rav4, Highlander, CX-5, 6, 3, etc. are all great options. I would personally aim for a 6-7 year old CX-5 with a few miles. Mazdas were great for us, safety ratings are where they should be, and they are just a touch sportier or flashier than the Toyota appliance vehicles.
zooguy96
AG
Aggietaco said:

Since you noted oldest, I'm assuming you have more in the pipeline. In which case, I think it would be wise to have a starter car with some character that can act as each of your kid's first cars and then they can graduate to something mildly nicer when they head off to college.

Either way, Camry, Corolla, Rav4, Highlander, CX-5, 6, 3, etc. are all great options. I would personally aim for a 6-7 year old CX-5 with a few miles. Mazdas were great for us, safety ratings are where they should be, and they are just a touch sportier or flashier than the Toyota appliance vehicles.

This. I had to go the extreme route (drive whatever car I could afford - first car at A&M was a $100 Nissan 200 SX with a hole in the floor beneath my feet, no ac, and bald tires.

Toyota, Honda, Mazda 6-8 years old, in good running (but not necessarily cosmetic) condition.

The cars I had in college (didn't have one on HS) made me appreciate the first new car I got (I paid for all of my cars; parents gave me $0). Hell, they make me appreciate the cars I have now, where everything works, no real issues, and reasonably new. But, I go for reliability.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
cadetjay02
AG
For $25k you're basically in the ballpark of a brand new Honda Civic. That thing would get you 12-15 years of nothing but oil changes and tires.
JP76
4 years ago you could get a brand new 2020 rav 4 for 24k driveout. Now I think they are pushing 30-31
Jack Boyett
AG
1/2 ton pickup. 10x safer than a Civic.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Jack Boyett said:

1/2 ton pickup. 10x safer than a Civic.
This. And regular cab can avoid some distractions and temptations.
aggiefan2002
Thanks all.

How would a civic compare to a say a RAV4 from a safety perspective?
zooguy96
AG
Looks like the Civic is a little better. Course, the RAV4 is larger.

Greener Acres
AG
On the civic note - my wife had one when we met (it was her college car). I drove it a bit for work trips and quickly got rid of it when I realized it was the same size as the tires on the 18 wheelers driving down 287.

There is a lot to safety including sensors, airbags, structural integrity, etc. But to me, height and weight is an important consideration. With the Rav4/Mazda CX-5/etc, you get a bit more height and road view.
AggieDruggist89
AG
However,

The slight lower rating of Rav4 appears to be from higher rate or rollover, most likely due to the higher height and higher COG.
Greener Acres
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

However,

The slight lower rating of Rav4 appears to be from higher rate or rollover, most likely due to the higher height and higher COG.
The fun of parenting. Every decision is fraught with a new element of risk you weren't aware of. Good catch.
mefoghorn
AG
You certainly don't need to spend $25K to get a nice, reliable car. But if that's what you want to spend, the RAV4 is a fine option, as is the CX-5, or Honda HR-V or CRV. Subaru Crosstrek is considered very safe.

They will likely have a decent crash in the first year of driving. Mine did, and not always their fault.
zooguy96
AG
I will say my wife's CX-7 was an extremely reliable car. No issues. She wanted something larger, so I got her a Highlander - most likely moving to 4Runner soon.
AgGrad99
AG
Aggietaco said:

This is the way to do it, and wish I'd done this with my first (learned the hard way).

You can get a good running, high-mileage Camry for around 6k. Let them learn on that thing, and save the $$ for something nice, later.
Complete Idiot
I buy my kid's older, cheap cars that a marked up a bit and we don't have to fret if some rubs and bumps happen in early driving years. Plus, cheaper to insure. I do pick cars I hope get them 6 or 7 years to get out of college then I might them a new car as a graduation gift at that point.

Everyone can spend their money as they see fit of course, and different kids have different driving abilities.

I do find 10 year old Mazda's of the highest spec with the 2.5L have good safety features, good safety ratings, and long lives from that engine along with good prices and insurance rates.
agnerd
AG
Standard makes it a lot harder for her to text and drive, and that's the biggest threat to her safety.
AggieMainland
Getting a new car at that age is silly. Get a used Camry and call it a day.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Every parent has a different philosophy, but my philosophy is to not buy my kids a new car. We purchased a 2007 4 Runner with 136,000 miles on it from another Aggie of TexAgs for about $10k. I sunk another $2,000 on some needed maintenance and now we have a vehicle that will last another few hundred thousand miles for $12,000.
"But it is easier to purchase products that denote superiority than to be actually superior in economic achievement." - Thomas J. Stanley
SnowboardAg
AG
Will pass my wife's Tahoe down to my kid to start off. If he shows me responsible driving for 1-2 years, keeping clean / no door dings, etc then he'll get something newer going into his jr / sr year.
HollywoodBQ
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Dad for the win..now has a 10 year old Prius with 87,000 miles on it.. kinda dirty and banged up some.

But I'm getting 55mpg around town! And when I get a dirty look, I just smirk "it's my daughter's car."
I assume you've got some Anime or other girly stickers on the car so it's obvious that it's not yours.
HollywoodBQ
AG
During my time, I bought a new 2012 4WD Jeep Compass with a manual transmission.

My case was a little unique due to Australian laws at the time - i.e. new drivers were not allowed to drive vehicles with a V8 engine so that ruled out the Grand Cherokee I already owned. Plus, I wanted the girls to learn how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission - which is of negligible benefit other than the fact that it prevents their friends from driving their car.

The girls learned how to drive it which cost me 1 clutch and 1 gearbox and ultimately I had to sell it for $500 for scrap after 7 1/2 years of ownership because it needed a new gearbox and wasn't worth me shipping it back to the USA. I did bring the Grand Cherokee back however and in fact, my wife is driving it to Austin this afternoon.

There was only 1 collision which was when my daughter refused to listen to me and backed into a dark colored car parked across the unlit street at the end of our driveway. At the time, the hands free Bluetooth was of benefit. Otherwise, the only damage to the vehicle was caused by my wife running into curbs and in the tight confines of Sydney parking garages, breaking taillights. I did have one situation where I scraped the paint on the side due to a sneaky column in a parking garage.

The main difference for the kids learning to drive in the USA was the speed. In Australia, I could go a month without breaking 80 kmh (50 mph). In the USA, they're out on the highway at 70+ mph in no time.

If you're looking to get your kid something that will last 8+ years to get through college and then some, I'd get something that is mass produced so that there is plenty of support out of warranty. Think Ford F-150.

In Texas, I'd get something that is big and sits high enough up where they can see in traffic. It doesn't have to be a Ford Super Duty Truck but, you don't want to be putting them in a Subaru BRZ or something where the roof is only 3 feet high.

Modern safety features such as airbags, reverse cameras, traction control, and obviously Bluetooth. Navigation is an underrated benefit since most kids just want to use their phones for everything. I've ridden with enough people to tell you that the built-in navigation is superior to Google in many locations.

Another thing I recommend for a learning driver is AWD rather than 4WD because AWD will always be helping them and they don't have to make a decision about the weather conditions. On the other hand, if they get a regular 2WD RWD vehicle, they can learn how to drift and how to recover from a loss of traction.

Another consideration is the age of the vehicle. I recently encountered a situation where a mechanic straight up told me he doesn't work on vehicles over 20 years old. Also, in college when my kids were driving my 1999 Ford Expedition, a few of their friends didn't like riding with them or made fun of them because their vehicle was so old. On the other hand, if there was a large group of them wanting to go somewhere, they always wanted my kids to drive in the Expedition because 5+ of them could ride in the vehicle so fewer cars, less parking dramas, etc.

So if you back all those requirements into today, I'd say that you're looking for something used, with a year model not older than 2013 or so. I'd be looking for a 4WD F-150 or similar. Save some of that $25k for repairs. It's important for a young man to learn how to fix stuff when it breaks. And maybe more importantly, to know what symptoms look like when something is going to break or need repair.

Good Luck!
AggieDruggist89
AG
AggieMainland said:

Getting a new car at that age is silly. Get a used Camry and call it a day.

To be clear, I didn't buy a new car for my kids.. I bought the first Prius new for my commute.. By the time the car was passed on to my daughter, it had 45,000 miles on it.. Sons Prius Prime was also purchased used with 40,000 miles on it. And the intention was for it to last through graduate/professional school 6-8 years minimum.
AggieDruggist89
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

I assume you've got some Anime or other girly stickers on the car so it's obvious that it's not yours.

You know.. Actually I thought about it for a sec before I came to my senses. There's nothing on the car. To my daughter, it was a mode of transportation.
chickencoupe16
AG
I plan to buy my kids a beater and tell them they have to repair it anytime it breaks or they won't have a car. Having to work on my truck taught me so many things: mechanical skills, the value of money, to take care of my things, how to diagnose issues, etc. I'll buy them a nicer car when they leave home but when they're cin high school and always close by, they can break down on the side of the road every now and then.

I should mention that I plan on living in a small town by the time my children are driving and if not, I might view this differently.
Mookie
AG
I did a Nissan Leaf for HS then sold it for what I paid for it and bought a CPO Subaru Crosstrek when they went to college. had zero regrets.
Flaith
AG
What is the 2024 equivalent of the '93 Olds Cutlass or Volvo 240 wagon tank for a first car like when I was in HS?

Camry? Some small crossover? lame.

agracer
AG
water turkey said:

Rav4 is basically the SUV version of the Camry. Won't go wrong there either.
This.

You can cut your budget in half and get either a used Camry or Rav4 and they will last a long time.

Obviously find something that has a good history of oil changes and general maintenance.

Only issue I've had with my son's Camry with 180k miles is the drivers seat split, but it's been parked outside and baked in the sun the last 7 years so that didn't help.
Donaldson711
AG
We bought a manual transmission Nissan work truck new. Used it for all three of our kids. Taught them
Manual and kept them off cell phone. Ever try a manual in town? Can't really use cell phones to text when you have to shift.
zooguy96
AG
Donaldson711 said:

We bought a manual transmission Nissan work truck new. Used it for all three of our kids. Taught them
Manual and kept them off cell phone. Ever try a manual in town? Can't really use cell phones to text when you have to shift.

Well, you can, but not when you're learning a standard.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.