Buying a new truck…

4,924 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Teslag
jakeaggie84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at the following and similar. Been about 10 years since i bought a new truck. Currently have an f150 xlt 5.0 and has been great, but worry about the 10 speed transmissions in the new once with my wife's 2020 expedition getting replaced in February.

Which are great and which should i stay away from?

AustinCountyAg
at4x
The Catfish
AG
I had been an F150 guy for a while but switched over to a GMC 1500 AT4 last year with the 3.0 Diesel. This was mainly due to pricing on the Fords and not being able to find the option combos I wanted and I needed to move relatively quickly (my 13 FX4 got totaled when someone burned a stop light).

I have really liked the mini diesel and the AT4 package is great.
3rd Platoon
AG
To me, the AT4X looks the best and has the most upside. That's the one I'd choose if I were in your shoes. I'd consider the 3.0 diesel as well.
JuneBug07
AG
They all have their own issues. Just buy the one that you think looks the best and cross your fingers.

FYI, I am fairly certain that Ford and GM 1/2 tons use the same 10 speed transmission. It was co-developed by the two companies.
jakeaggie84
AG
JuneBug07 said:

They all have their own issues. Just buy the one that you think looks the best and cross your fingers.

FYI, I am fairly certain that Ford and GM 1/2 tons use the same 10 speed transmission. It was co-developed by the two companies.
That sucks. Have they fixed there issues on it yet? More dependable?

Also not pictured but considering….tundra. Has the tundra lost some dependability over the years?
JuneBug07
AG
The problem with these transmissions is that they try to stay in too high of a gear at lower speeds to meet MPG standards. This causes the transmission to slip more which causes more problems earlier than usual.

I may be wrong in my thinking, but I drive in sport mode/ tow mode depending on truck model which keeps lower gears engaged for longer, hopefully reducing the chances of slippage. I may be doing nothing, but it makes sense in my head.

The MPG loss in sport mode is minimal if you don't drive aggressively.

Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Coin toss.

F150 definitely more comfortable to sit in for long rides.

gMC/ Chevy definitely looks better.

Good luck.
cryption
I'm in an expedition right now and it's the last Ford I'll ever own. Currently shopping for an AT4 myself.

Note that the 10r80 is the same in both Ford and GM

The GM has the AFM lifter failures.

No matter what I'd get the longest factory warranty I can .... all these new trucks need them
FightinTAC08
AG
before you go buy a used truck like those listed go find the volume dealers that handle those trucks and see what price you can get for new. the price variance is not far off now.

Ford - look at granger ford in iowa. offering 4% under invoice on 2024's.

i'm a ford guy - love the exterior of the GMC's but won't own a GMC. been happy with the 10 speed in my 2023.
Dr. Nefario
jakeaggie84 said:

JuneBug07 said:

That sucks. Have they fixed there issues on it yet? More dependable?

Also not pictured but considering….tundra. Has the tundra lost some dependability over the years?

Have you not been paying attention?

Also, the Titan crowd will be along shortly.
“You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.” -Abraham Lincoln

“Veganism is like communism. They’re both fine… unless you like food.”
jakeaggie84
AG
I have not been paying attention. That why I brought it to my texags automotive experts.
big ben
AG
jakeaggie84 said:

I have not been paying attention. That why I brought it to my texags automotive experts.

Oh in that case, any Keating dealership would love for you to step through their door
Dr. Nefario
jakeaggie84 said:

Well in that case, the new Tundra is a far cry from the old Tundra. There's currently a recall to replace 102,000 engines and it's so pervasive some dealerships won't even take them as trade-ins. That's the big thing, but there have been quality and reliability complaints across the board ever since the third generation came out.

Earth Rider
AG
The ford f150 v8 I've had good luck with
Teslag
AG

Quote:

The GM has the AFM lifter failures.

The 3.0 diesel doesn't have AFM lifters
TRIDENT
AG
Ram Cummins 4X4 Crew
jakeaggie84
AG
Earth Rider said:

The ford f150 v8 I've had good luck with

That's my current truck. 2016 v8 with 6 speed transmission. Has been great so far. Passing it down to my daughter.

If they kept the same engine and transmission I go straight for the 2023 king ranch version.
jakeaggie84
AG
big ben said:

jakeaggie84 said:

Oh in that case, any Keating dealership would love for you to step through their door

Good try. I did just see the CS ford post earlier today!
My Kel Co
AG
The 10 speeds in the f150s were updated in the 2022+ years. They won't be like your wife's expedition. My 2023 was a bit clunky at first but once it learns your driving habits it smooths out.

I will echo what one of the posters said above is that it does like to stay in high gears relative to your current speed which I find a bit annoying.

Also, F150s are much more comfortable than the GMCs imo. But you'll figure that out for yourself if you go drive em both.
MTTANK
AG
The transmissions are not the same between the GM's and Fords. Ford engineered and builds them heavier. The Drum's and bushings were updated in 2022 to fix the problem in the Ford transmissions as well. All this said, buy the truck you like the most. Life is too short!
jakeaggie84
AG
Thanks, gents. Good info here. Glad the transmission seems to be better now.

Will be testing a few over the next couple weeks.
Aquin
AG
Better go drive a RAM or you will regret it.
Buck Turgidson
Skip the new Tundras completely
Best ride is a Ram
Best luxury features are GMC or Ford
Best reliability, warranty and bang for buck is Titan

You have to decide what your priorities are.
Ag for Life
AG
Best Looking:

Sierra > F150 > Ram > Silverado > Tundra > Titan

Don't buy a Tundra unless you want to deal with having it at the dealer for month(s) replacing the long block once it fails at a random interval due to machining debris.
Dr. Nefario
Ag for Life said:

Best Looking:

Sierra > F150 > Ram > Silverado > Tundra > Titan

Aquin
AG
I would agree with you for the most part.
I have the Longhorn version of the Ram 1500. I would put its interior up against any vehicle. As you stated the ride is outstanding. This is about my fifth Ram and they have all been reliable.

Retired rancher and wouldn't have a GMC. Pretty but won't last in a pasture.

Isn't this the last year for the Titan. If so, it is a shame. Good truck but don't know what the future trade in value will be.
TSW2012
AG
Step to a 2500 gas truck, skip the AFM and extra ***** You'll get used to the size.
theJonatron
AG
My 19 F150 was just serviced for 100,000 miles

The 10 speed transmission will do funky gear changes sometimes. All I do is let off the gas, let it change gear, and resume normal.

You could always tune the truck with an aftermarket tuner to give yourself better shifts. I've been thinking about it since I'm out of warranty anyways
cledus6150
AG
I have a 2022 ZR2 6.2L, sitting at 56k miles and so far so good. My dad liked my truck so much he went out and bought a 2024 AT4X, so far he only has about 8k on his and no problems!
kag00
AG
I'm at 178k on my 2015 F150. At about 140k the truck just wouldn't switch beyond 2nd gear one day and I thought it was the transmission. Ended up being the spark plugs and leads failing and not generating enough power to get to the next gear. Replaced all of those and updated the software. Has been running great ever since.

Passing it down to my son in a year hopefully.
big ben
AG
TSW2012 said:

Step to a 2500 gas truck, skip the AFM and extra ***** You'll get used to the size.
Seriously considering this when it's time to replace my Silverado 1500
Logos Stick
I wont buy another Ford and I've owned F150s since 98. Go with Chevy or GMC or Toyota (if you can stomach the exterior).

The F150 10 speed transmission is pure garbage and should never have been released to production!
kyledr04
AG
Me too. Small difference in price for comparable trims but a big jump in capability and reliability.
Aggie Dad 26
The Titan looks like someone who hates their life designed it
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.