Anyone have access BMW Technical Information System (TIS). Need oil advice.

932 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by austinag1997
Southside AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a new 2024 BMW X4 M40i and want to do my own oil changes. I believe it is the B58 B58B30O1. The manual recommends oils that meet BMW spec Longlife 17-FE+ 0W-20 or whatever BMW qualified service provider recommends. I called the local parts department and asked if there alternative weights I could use and he said that LL-01FE 0W-30 and LL-01 5W-30 specs are both technically suitable. I called 2 other BMW parts departments to try and confirm and one wouldn't tell me if there were any other technically suitable options and the other said there were but he wouldn't use the 5w30 because it doesn't get cold enough. He didn't know what he was talking about because it's the first number, being 5, that is the winter rating, would make it more suitable for warmer climates.

Anyway, can anyone confirm alternative oil weightings I could use in my new car. I'd prefer to be able to print something from TIS.
Dill-Ag13
AG
FCP Euro calls for Liqui Moly 0W-20 but I always ran a +10weight oil down here in TX on turbos, considering how hot it gets.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-0w20-oil-change-kit-liqui-moly-11428583898-lm

Something like this, but can't speak for filter fitment.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-oil-change-kit-11428092620kt1

Don't overthink it.

JamesPShelley
Check on an enthusiast's forum. See what seasoned members recommend.

Also... 10,000 miles between oil changes? Don't drink that kool-aid. 5,000 miles would be reasonable, and prudent.
AggieRob93
AG
Agree on the 5k mile oci. 10k is too long between changes, and reeks of similar intervals to other fluids like transmission fluid, often published as 100k mile or lifetime. Lol.
Southside AG
AG
Agree, I'm not waiting 10,000 miles to change the oil. I'm going 5k miles and will test the oil for quality and life and extend OCI if warranted.

I was able to locate this document from the bimmer post forums.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3312500&d=1698866761

It does confirm the recommended oil and the technically appropriate oils.
Picard
AG
Would you mind posting a picture for us of your oil change please?

I've never in my life seen a BMW owner change their own oil.

dubi
AG
Picard said:

Would you mind posting a picture for us of your oil change please?

I've never in my life seen a BMW owner change their own oil.

txyaloo
AG
Southside AG said:

I have a new 2024 BMW X4 M40i and want to do my own oil changes. I believe it is the B58 B58B30O1. The manual recommends oils that meet BMW spec Longlife 17-FE+ 0W-20 or whatever BMW qualified service provider recommends. I called the local parts department and asked if there alternative weights I could use and he said that LL-01FE 0W-30 and LL-01 5W-30 specs are both technically suitable. I called 2 other BMW parts departments to try and confirm and one wouldn't tell me if there were any other technically suitable options and the other said there were but he wouldn't use the 5w30 because it doesn't get cold enough. He didn't know what he was talking about because it's the first number, being 5, that is the winter rating, would make it more suitable for warmer climates.

Anyway, can anyone confirm alternative oil weightings I could use in my new car. I'd prefer to be able to print something from TIS.
Your car should have come with 3yr/36k miles of "free" oil changes at the dealer. Definitely use them if the dealer is w/in an hour or so. You want documentation from them if you have an "oil related" warranty claim.

Castrol euro 0W-30 will work just fine. It was LL-01 spec'd until the latest change. My understanding is it's compliant but Castrol won't pay the certification fee. I typically run Penzoil Platinum in my M6 and Castrol in my X5.

If you really want to see what TIS says, you can pay for access at $32 a day:

https://bmwtechinfo.bmwgroup.com/

My version of ISTA isn't updated for 2024 MY or I'd look it up for you
Southside AG
AG
Yes, dealer will cover during the 3 year/ 36k mile period. Figured easy to do myself and not have to wait. I'm a member with AMSOIL so was planning on putting in their 0w-20 or 0w-30.
aggiedata
AG
Just a note of warning here:

I had a pal that relied on his BMW to tell him when it was ready for an oil change and not the mileage.

You can imagine his surprise when his engine froze up
agracer
AG
Southside AG said:

Yes, dealer will cover during the 3 year/ 36k mile period. Figured easy to do myself and not have to wait. I'm a member with AMSOIL so was planning on putting in their 0w-20 or 0w-30.
The problem there is the car will tell you when to go change the oil, and it's NOT at 5,000 miles. More like 8-10,000.

Just do your own at 5,000, then when the light comes on go to the dealer (which should be close to 10,000 ish).
Southside AG
AG
I understand the intervals. Dealer will do the first at 5,000 miles and then will only do every 10,000 after that. I'll do every other one myself.

Just curious if it is better for less wear on the car to add one of the technically suitable oil options 0w-30 or 5W-30 instead of the 0w-20 which is recommended.
txyaloo
AG
Southside AG said:

I understand the intervals. Dealer will do the first at 5,000 miles and then will only do every 10,000 after that. I'll do every other one myself.

Just curious if it is better for less wear on the car to add one of the technically suitable oil options 0w-30 or 5W-30 instead of the 0w-20 which is recommended.
I'd follow BMW's break in process and stick to spec'd oil to try and avoid oil consumption issues which are pretty common on the B58.

I forgot I still have access to NewTIS. Not sure if you can get to this without a login:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g02-x4-m40i-sac/repair-manuals/00-maintenance-general-note/00-07-operating-fluids/1PSryV8

Oils from any of the specs below are approved but BMW recommends LL17FE+. That's the table at the bottom.

Twayne_02
AG
Keep detailed documentation of all your oil changes if you do them yourself. I changed the oil on my wife's X3. Timing guides broke, chain skipped and trashed the motor. BMW denied warranty coverage because I didn't have oil change records with receipts for materials for 5 years.
dubi
AG
Twayne_02 said:

Keep detailed documentation of all your oil changes if you do them yourself. I changed the oil on my wife's X3. Timing guides broke, chain skipped and trashed the motor. BMW denied warranty coverage because I didn't have oil change records with receipts for materials for 5 years.
Southside AG
AG
That's wrong. So they didn't have records of oil changes in their system and denied warranty repair when you couldn't provide receipts. Couldn't they have tested the oil?
austinag1997
AG
I have an old Porsche 986 Boxster. I order the oil recommended by Porsche... and there is only one for that car. If I brought it to the shop without oil, they would throw Mobil 1 in it.

Motul in the 996 TT.

The oil business is one you will always get multiple opinions.
JamesPShelley
austinag1997 said:

I have an old Porsche 986 Boxster. I order the oil recommended by Porsche... and there is only one for that car. If I brought it to the shop without oil, they would throw Mobil 1 in it.

Motul in the 996 TT.

Likewise. When I purchased it (2017) I was all over the unicorn-tears motor oil finally setling on whatever synthetic Castrol... Penzoil... Mobil was reasonably priced. Motil... unicorn oil... the expensive ***** Nope. With the 9.5 quarts oil and NAPA gold I'd be all in for ~$75.

My '86 E30... same thing. Got 290K out of it before I sold it to a local neighbor kid.

Oh. 996 TT? Nice. Very nice.
austinag1997
AG
JamesPShelley said:

austinag1997 said:

Motul in the 996 TT.

Likewise. When I purchased it (2017) I was all over the unicorn-tears motor oil finally setling on whatever synthetic Castrol... Penzoil... Mobil was reasonably priced. Motil... unicorn oil... the expensive ***** Nope. With the 9.5 quarts oil and NAPA gold I'd be all in for ~$75.

My '86 E30... same thing. Got 290K out of it before I sold it to a local neighbor kid.

Oh. 996 TT? Nice. Very nice.

I get the cost of the oil. Change it once a year in both of them. Neither get many miles. Yeah, the engine in the 996TT is insane. Street legal race engine. The 997TTs kind of elude me pricewise. Probably pushing 600hp in my 996TT.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.