Paint chip repair

564 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by AtlAg05
AtlAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's your go-to repair/touch-up option for chips in the paint?

Door was opened into a rake, luckily just one tine but the rake has now been flipped around!
aggieforester05
AG
The touch up kits with clear coat on Amazon work pretty well.

Don't forget to use an automotive primer first. I also like to sand the edges of the old paint for a smoother finish.

Watch YouTube videos on the process.

Last time I did it, I wet sanded the finished procuct with a 2500 grit paper, then used a buffer and 3M rubbing compound around the damage area. Then finished it by using 3M polish with the buffer over the entire door. Looked a lot better, but I wouldn't recommend this unless you're comfortable with buffing. You also have to have a lot of faith in the rubbing compound and polish because you're scratching the paint by wet sanding.

This is what I ordered for my Silverado:

https://a.co/d/gyOn0ug
PeekingDuck
AG
I've heard good things about touch up RX but haven't used it myself.
Mookie
AG
I use the classic dupliciolor pen/brush. Make sure you match the OEM color and much like everything else in this world, it is 99% dependent on the application.

If you are good at painting fingernails, you should be good at touch up.
AtlAg05
AG
Mookie said:

If you are good at painting fingernails, you should be good at touch up.

Then I am in trouble!

Going to get matching paint from Toyota and a small brush.

Those paint pen applicators looked good for flat surfaces but it seemed a lot of paint came out. Being a door I'd be afraid of it running down the door.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.