F-150: 5.0 v 3.5L

1,379 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by water turkey
tmaggie50
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I pull a trailer with a Polaris Ranger primarily and only do that about 7-10 times per year. Usually pulling between 5-7 hours at a time. I will be going to Colorado likely once a year for elk hunting and likely hauling the polaris there each time. I assume my use isnt enough to make a difference between which engine I should be using.

Any thoughts on reliability? Is the 3.5L worth the extra money for my type of use?
MouthBQ98
AG
The 3.5 tows very well. It doesn't get the best mileage with a very heavy load. I've got 326K miles on one and other than the cats failing it's been pretty much trouble free routine maintenance.
Furlock Bones
AG
as mouth said, the 3.5 will drastically out tow the 5.0. but, do not expect it to be the gas mileage champ.
aggieforester05
AG
I'd normally say 5.0, but when towing in the mountains the forced induction motor won't lose nearly as much power. The 5.0L is going to have to really rev out to keep up.
Yesterday
AG
2.7L dad has one and towed a Jeep on a flatbed 3.5 hours without issues. Better MPG and better engine.
MouthBQ98
AG
The 2.7 is quite respectable also as I understand it.
Howdy Dammit
AG
I have a 3.5 and a 2.7. I prefer the 2.7
tk for tu juan
If buying a used 2.7L, look for one built after Oct 31, 2021 to avoid an upcoming recall for the 2021-2022 F150

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a62044486/ford-f150-bronco-explorer-edge-lincoln-nautilus-aviator-engine-failure-recall/
Diamond Dogs
S
3.5 Powerboost. Tow my gooseneck 2 horse w/living quarters, tack, and horse all over for my daughter's barrel racing "hobby" and no issues whatsoever. Will be turning over 100k this month.
tmaggie50
AG
Heading to pick up my F-150 tonight. Went with the 3.5L V6
Gigem_94
AG
I searched for a v8 in mine. I was surprised to later see the towing and capacity for v6 w eco boost was slightly higher but not much. I actually paid more for the v8 though. I have the v6 w eco boost in our Lincoln. Definitely like the v8 better.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Get a Powerboost with the 3.5L

Teslag
AG
Gigem_94 said:

I searched for a v8 in mine. I was surprised to later see the towing and capacity for v6 w eco boost was slightly higher but not much. I actually paid more for the v8 though. I have the v6 w eco boost in our Lincoln. Definitely like the v8 better.

It's not just about the tow numbers. The torque and flat power band of the 3.5 will make it a much better tow experience than the V8.
MouthBQ98
AG
The towing capacity is not limited by the drive train. It is limited by the loading the frame and suspension can handle and that the brakes can stop within specifications.
water turkey
What is the advantage of the 5.0 then, don't have to worry about a turbo failing?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.