Magnetic Ride Control is it worth it?

1,227 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
BrokeAssAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those that have had with and without is it a notable difference in ride quality? Considering it for a new suburban.
akaggie05
AG
It'll break just outside of warranty but there are plenty of guides on how to swap to a traditional setup. Personally I wouldn't pay for it
Flaith
AG
For a Camaro, Vette, Caddy V-car? Yes, absolutely.

For a Tahoe, Burban, Yukon, suburbia-mobile? No.
Yesterday
AG
We had it on our 2016 Tahoe and now our 22 Yukon Denali. They do ride smooth but I'm not sure I could tell the difference if you put in regular shocks.

I actually swapped out the magnetic front shocks for regular shocks in our 2016 Tahoe when they went out around 80k miles. I could tell the difference right after but didn't notice it after a few days. I never could get the "check suspension" light to go out even with the supplied relay's etc. It ended up dinging me on the trade in since the dealership was going to have to drop $1500 to put in the factory magnetic ride shocks.

If the ride you want has them it's not a big deal but if you're paying to upgrade to magnetic ride then I wouldn't do it.
dodger02
AG
Flaith said:

For a Camaro, Vette, Caddy V-car? Yes, absolutely.

For a Tahoe, Burban, Yukon, suburbia-mobile? No.
This is the way.
agnerd
AG
Not worth it unless you will drive the burb near its limits. Liked having it on a previous truck because I could turn it on when going through a twisty road, stiffen up the suspension, and make it handle (a little) more like a car. There will probably be too much loose crap from the kids rolling around in back to do any spirited driving in a suburban, so skip the option.
USAFAg
AG
Have it in two Audis:

2016 TTS
2023 Q5 S-Line

Love it in both and have had zero issues

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
KDubAg
AG
I wouldn't. Wife had them on her 2015 suburban. Front ones failed around 50,000 miles. News ones lasted about another 50,000. Sold the 2015 burban for a 2021 and made sure the 2021 did NOT have magnetic ride suspension.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Magnetic ride is for the Large GM SUVs that can compensate for the 22" wheels so the ride is tolerable for Ryleigh and Bryliegh and Whestonne to go to Cheer, Krav Maga and Traveling select baseball, and Starbucks and Chick Fil A.

BrokeAssAggie
And hold the Stanley cups!!!
Yesterday
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Magnetic ride is for the Large GM SUVs that can compensate for the 22" wheels so the ride is tolerable for Ryleigh and Bryliegh and Whestonne to go to Cheer, Krav Maga and Traveling select baseball, and Starbucks and Chick Fil A.

I don't appreciate you spying on my family.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Yesterday said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

I don't appreciate you spying on my family.

No shame in the game.

My Expedition Max is on Bilstein 5100s 2" front and 1.7" rear on Navigator 22s and rides great! Perfect for road trips, select baseball and neighborhood soccer duty and flossing in the church parking lot on Sundays.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.