Tundra Shocks and Struts - Advice Sought

520 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by JSKolache
MasonB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
11 year old truck has 225,000 miles on it and the shocks and struts are original.

One tire (front passenger) is getting uneven wear.

We carry a roof top tent on the back about half the year and get mildly off road at times related to that, but nothing serious.

Got two quotes today for front and rear replacement - both quotes were $2,000+

I don't mind paying some markup on parts, but more than double what I can buy them for seems crazy.

I'm tempted to replace at least the shocks myself and depending on how that goes tackle the struts. My main concern is something breaking during the job and having a truck I can't drive to the repair shop.

Also wondering about looking for a local mechanic that will install the kit I buy.

Any advice on where to buy them, which ones to buy, or doing the work myself?
Bob Kelso
AG
First things first with that age and mileage I would go get the entire suspension components inspected… By someone who will let you walk under the truck on the lift and show you what is needed if you're so inclined.

Your inner and outer tie rods are probably worn out. Sway bar bushings are probably squeeking up angled inclines/declines up front. front and rear stabilizer links also likely worn.

Struts need to be replaced and the coil springs might be ok. Up to you on coil springs - some argue that they last the life of a vehicle.

I'd look for grease, torn boots, ball joints ripped open.

I did this recently and procured OEM parts over time. Took me six months with OEM purchases online. And once I had all the parts I just wanted a quote for labor and install from someone who could put the parts on for me. I spent about $1000 on OEM parts and $1300 in labor in south Houston area. I got more than just shocks and struts replaced, though.

Do an alignment with the service too.

mefoghorn
AG
Uneven tire wear is not necessarily a strut/shock problem, so you'll want to get it checked out.

That said, with 225K miles, you would probably benefit from new front struts/rear shocks if only for ride quality. I would look at RockAuto.com and see which parts show their heart symbol (a favorite). Usually they are KYB or Bilstein for lasting quality.

Most shops won't install parts you bring them, and won't warranty the labor. But you can find mechanics that do, and it's cheaper usually. I have a couple of them and often get my own parts after a good bit of research.

You may, of course, need the other miscellaneous front end work mentioned above.
JSKolache
AG
Rear shocks aren't difficult, I did those on a Tundra. Squirt the bolts with wd40 and let em soak for half an hour before you start. I did not do the fronts, would farm out that job.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.