Vintage spiders: Alfa or Fiat?

743 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by G Martin 87
PharmD4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Because I'm apparently an automotive schizophrenic, my latest obsession is vintage spiders…and because I'm a glutton for misery, I'm ready for another project car.

I can't decide between a vintage 124 or Alfa. I'm looking at a couple of each now, both similar in condition and price, and I just keep bouncing back and forth.

Out of curiosity, which would be your second choice? (First choice is obviously Miata)
Furlock Bones
AG
Gotta go Alpha.
dodger02
AG
2nd choice?

An NA Miata with an LSD.
Strongwind86
AG
My vote is for the Alfa

My brother had a 1974 2000 GTV. That was a cool fun car. Pure Italian…
Tim Weaver
Be the coolest Guido on the block and get an Alfa but with a Busso V6 swapped in. Best sounding engine ever.
pablof
Fiat is notorious for electrical issues. Mainly corrosion related.
dodger02
AG
I didn't ask...

Are you talking about a 105/115 Alfa? I assumed so when you used the term "vintage".

My uncle is shipping over his Alfa 916 Spider next month. I've never actually seen one in person.
JSKolache
AG
Why not just light $8000 on fire instead?
PharmD4
AG
dodger02 said:

I didn't ask...

Are you talking about a 105/115 Alfa? I assumed so when you used the term "vintage".

My uncle is shipping over his Alfa 916 Spider next month. I've never actually seen one in person.

I'm new to these Italian roadsters, but I believe the 105/115 generally refers to coupes. I'm just looking at series 3 Spider 2000s.
PharmD4
AG
JSKolache said:

Why not just light $8000 on fire instead?

As a lifetime season ticket holder, I'm no stranger to this question.
dodger02
AG
PharmD4 said:

I'm new to these Italian roadsters, but I believe the 105/115 generally refers to coupes. I'm just looking at series 3 Spider 2000s.
Eh, not necessarily. The 105/115 cars came in a Spider configuration from 1966-1994. The 105/115 refers to the first three digits of the VIN.

Alfa Spider 105/115

My age is showing when I don't think of an '80s car as being "vintage". I was thinking an old school Series 1 or 2. Just don't go newer than Series 3, please. The '74 appears to be the sweet spot.

Pay attention to rust.
PharmD4
AG
Thanks for sharing!
Trinity Ag
S
dodger02 said:

PharmD4 said:

Eh, not necessarily. The 105/115 cars came in a Spider configuration from 1966-1994. The 105/115 refers to the first three digits of the VIN.

Alfa Spider 105/115

My age is showing when I don't think of an '80s car as being "vintage". I was thinking an old school Series 1 or 2. Just don't go newer than Series 3, please. The '74 appears to be the sweet spot.

Pay attention to rust.
The prices on the Alfas have been creeping up faster than the Fiats, especially for the chrome bumper years. The 66-69 boattails are $40k unless they are serious projects.

The rust point is spot on -- that is the #1 issue, probably moreso with the Alfas than the Fiats.

I'm partial to the Alfas personally -- they have significantly more power, and are just cooler, IMO.

A 71-74 chrome bumper with a rebuilt SPICA FI (by Wes Ingram) would be my target -- they were lighter and had more power than the rubber bumper 75-81 cars. A car with well sorted Webers would be great, but more trouble if you are unfamiliar with them.

If you can find one, the 1982 is a sweet spot -- it had the lighter, cleaner Kamm tail body style of the series 2a cars, including the twin pod instrument binnacle -- but was the first year of Bosch L-tronic fuel injection, which restored the power to new early 1970s levels -- and is more reliable and efficient than the SPICA.

These can be easily backdated to chrome bumpers for a few grand.

If air conditioning matters, Series III or IV are your best options.

Here is a pretty cool comparison between generations:

https://classicmotorsports.com/articles/picking-best-version-alfa-romeo-spider/
G Martin 87
AG
PharmD4 said:

Because I'm apparently an automotive schizophrenic, my latest obsession is vintage spiders…and because I'm a glutton for misery, I'm ready for another project car.

I can't decide between a vintage 124 or Alfa. I'm looking at a couple of each now, both similar in condition and price, and I just keep bouncing back and forth.

Out of curiosity, which would be your second choice? (First choice is obviously Miata)
2nd choice would be a 2017 Fiata Abarth. You get modernized Fiat 124 styling with Mazda build quality. The Fiat 1.4 Abarth engine isn't an upgrade over the standard Miata engine, though. Can't have everything.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a15102059/2017-fiat-124-spider-abarth-vs-2016-mazda-mx-5-miata-club-comparison-test/

If you're truly intent on sticking with a vintage Italian roadster, the best bad plan is an Alfa.
dodger02
AG
The best parts of the Fiat 124 have "Mazda" printed on them.

Spend the same money (or less) and get an ND2.
G Martin 87
AG
dodger02 said:

The best parts of the Fiat 124 have "Mazda" printed on them.

Spend the same money (or less) and get an ND2.
Agreed. But I'm not the one enamored with Fiat styling, so...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.