Anyone ever complete Lemon Law deal repurchase?

892 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by PeekingDuck
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking to talk through lemon law with someone. I think I may have a case. Please let me know how you'd like to communicate.
TSW2012
AG
Use a lemon law attorney. There is fee shifting so they should do a free consultation then if there's a case they will take it on contingency because their fees get paid by manufacturer. Why bother doing it yourself.
DiskoTroop
Any recommendations?
muleshoe
AG
I went thru this years ago against Ford on an F150, 1998/199 or so. It went thru TxDOT and had to argue my case with a TxDOT law administrator (?). They had changed body styles/motors in 1997/5.4L if I remember dates correctly. The truck went in for service 14/15 times. It was a mess, and the dealership doing the service didn't do much to help. I ended up winning believe it or not. I got a depreciated amount to use to help purchase a new vehicle. It was a CF at the end because Ford came back after I had purchased a new vehicle, and said the paperwork was done incorrectly and I owed them money. I had clear title to the new truck, but was always worried a friendly letter would come one day. Thank God nothing ever came of it.

Servicing dealership was not the same as the purchasing one. I talked to the purchasing dealership after they fact, and they mentioned Ford would get their money from them one-way or the other. Our family had a good relationship with them, and had purchased several vehicles from them. Unfortunately, they were too far from the house for service.

If you have questions, fire away. I'll do my best to remember details/etc......
Corps_Ag12
AG
There's one in Dallas i recently had a consultation with, I think it was Patrick something or other Law Firm but you'll find them if you google lemon law attorney. Case was strong in their opinion but since it was the first occurrence I have to give the manufacturer a chance to fix it. I have to go through a "test drive" period of 30 days before i can submit for any type of reimbursement, rental car or payment.

State of Texas TxDOT Lemon Law group has been pretty much useless thus far. They sided with the manufacturer pretty much right off the bat.

Good luck.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
I was successful with a 2018 dodge. Used a lawyer

https://www.kwm-cpa.com/
PeekingDuck
AG
What does first occurrence mean?
dubi
AG
1ags returned a vehicle with the lemon law…. I don't remember any details.
a07nathanb
AG
I am not familiar with the lemon law or any particular lawyer but I have assisted with a few manufacturer buybacks when I worked in a GM dealership. If this is a safety issue this might be an avenue to look into.

My advice would be get familiar with the service manager. Not the writer or advisor, but the manager. You're gonna want to be on a first name basis with them. You don't have to be a jerk but make them understand you need help with this issue
Let them know that you are not going to accept that they could not duplicate the problem. They can keep it until they find it. If they can't this time bring it back in a week when it does it again and let them put you in another loaner.
For a buyback the more times it's in the system the better. If they can't find the issue ask them to bring in someone from the manufacturer to investigate. If this is getting into the 4th or 6th or 8th time and it's not resolved the manufacturer may consider repurchasing if you push the issue and the service manager.

Is it a pita. Yes for sure it is, but in the end you'll have a fixed vehicle or a buyback in my experience.

For what it's worth in my over a dozen years in a dealership I never saw a successful lemon law case for the consumer but did see buy backs.
Mas89
AG
This. Bought a new F250 mid 23 and it had a grinding noise in the rear end. The dealership changed the bearings at 1,200 miles but at 5,000 it got much worse. After 5 months in the shop waiting on parts which were not available, The ford buyback program bought the truck back. They actually paid me 700$ less than what I paid for the truck, including taxes and extended ford warranty. Luckily, the dealership provided loaner trucks during the time it was in the shop. Iirc I put 16k miles on 3 different new loaners. The dealership GM was very helpful during the process, but my first request was for them to get me another similar new truck and trade for mine. They were not willing to do a trade, but seemed eager for me to do the buyback program.

Lesson learned to not buy a vehicle if you suspect a possible problem when test driving. I had ordered the new truck and waited 7 months for it to come in. I heard the slight noise while test driving but wasn't familiar with the F250 and thought maybe it was normal. It wasn't…
muleshoe
AG
PeekingDuck said:

Would think it would be the first time it went in for service. On my settlement there were 2 depreciation calculations, one before it went in for service the first time, the second after service started.
Corps_Ag12
AG
PeekingDuck said:

Have to give them a chance to fix it and if it happens again in 24 months or 24,000 miles then there may be a claim.
bkag9824
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

PeekingDuck said:

Have to give them a chance to fix it and if it happens again in 24 months or 24,000 miles then there may be a claim.

Does it have to be the same exact issue or could it be parts of an overall related?

Have a '21 Powerboost and the fuel pump went out just under 36,000 miles in Feb this year. Covered under warranty.

Fast forward to almost 3 weeks ago and get CEL at 44,647 miles. Dealer says my fuel expansion and isolation valves are sticking.

Not covered under warranty.

Same general system, within inches of each other that interact together but different affected parts just months apart.
PeekingDuck
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

PeekingDuck said:

Gotcha - it seemed odd to go to Lemon Law on a first repair. I was just confirming I wasn't missing something.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.