Acura MDX brake issue

279 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Average Joe
Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 2009 MDX that was vibrating when braking at high speeds. You could definitely tell it was coming from front driver side. Replaced both front rotors and problem went away for about 4 months, and now the issue has returned.

When I pulled the rotors, it wasn't obvious that they were warped. Checked out the pads and regreased the calipers at the same time. Nothing looked bad to the naked eye.

I'm thinking the caliper might be hanging up but wanted to get some thoughts of more seasoned experts.
Flaith
AG
Seems like a stuck caliper issue. Does it pull to that side during driving or under braking?

Do you have a IR temp gun you can shoot on the caliper and rotors after driving?
txyaloo
AG
Average Joe said:

I have a 2009 MDX that was vibrating when braking at high speeds. You could definitely tell it was coming from front driver side. Replaced both front rotors and problem went away for about 4 months, and now the issue has returned.

When I pulled the rotors, it wasn't obvious that they were warped. Checked out the pads and regreased the calipers at the same time. Nothing looked bad to the naked eye.

I'm thinking the caliper might be hanging up but wanted to get some thoughts of more seasoned experts.
Did you replace the pads at the same time? I've run into this before due to how the friction material had worn on the pads. It deposited material on the rotor in a weird way that caused a vibration.

I think actual warped rotors are pretty rare these days
Average Joe
AG
txyaloo said:

Average Joe said:

Did you replace the pads at the same time? I've run into this before due to how the friction material had worn on the pads. It deposited material on the rotor in a weird way that caused a vibration.

I think actual warped rotors are pretty rare these days

I did not. They looked fine, but I'm by no means an expert. I have an extra few sets of pads, so I'll swap those and see.
Average Joe
AG
Flaith said:

Seems like a stuck caliper issue. Does it pull to that side during driving or under braking?

Do you have a IR temp gun you can shoot on the caliper and rotors after driving?

If it pulls, it's not noticable at all. Definitely not while driving.

No IR gun, but I could probably scrounge one up. I assume it would run significantly hotter than the other front?
dodger02
AG
Rule of thumb is to replace pads when you replace rotors.

A weird rotor can create weird wear on a pad that can carry over to a new rotor…if that makes sense.

My daughter's JK is doing the same thing. I replaced pads about 6-8 months ago. Now going to replace rotors and pads on Saturday to start fresh.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Average Joe said:

Are you greasing the caliper PINS?
Average Joe
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Average Joe said:

Are you greasing the caliper PINS?
Ha, yes, that's what I mean by that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.