Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Getting more serious about cycling

43,570 Views | 387 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by TurboVelo
hbc07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Update: I think I love climbing? I've been getting stronger every day and more confident in both climbing/descending. I've thoroughly enjoyed this trip, I've preformed way better than I ever would have imagined; I'm enjoying the majority of our group; and the rides are amazing. I've set various 20min, 30min, and 60min power records while climbing, granted some of those were on the end of Marie Blanque where the last 5km averaged over 10% and it was necessary to keep moving forward. Tourmalet almost broke me because of how long it stretched on for and how hot it was getting; every time I looked down a river of sweat came out of my helmet.

Day 0: Hondarribia - 18 miles / 2008 feet - Jaizkibel (2)
Day 1 - Hondarribia -> Saint-Palais - 59 miles / 4551 feet - Cote de Saint Ignace (4); Col de Baigura (4)
Day 2: Saint-Palais -> Oloron-Sainte-Marie - 65 miles / 6732 feet - Cote de Pagolle (2); Col du Soudet (1)
Day 3 - Oloron-Sainte-Marie -> Lourdes - 65 miles / 7858 feet - Col de Marie Blanque (1); Col d' Aubisque (HC); Col de Soulor (4)
Day 4: Lourdes -> Bagneres-de-Luchon - 78 miles / 11217 feet - Col du Tourmalet (HC); Col d'Aspin (2); Col de Peyresourde (1)
Day 5: Bagneres-de-Luchon -> Sort - 66 miles / 6942 feet - Col du Portillion (1); Puerto de la Bonaigua (1)

Currently on day 6... the rest day. Got some laundry taken care of. Did some yoga out in the hotel's courtyard. Massage in a little bit. Just recovering and eating.

Random ass pictures that I felt like uploading:

Starting to climb Soudet...

Not much visibility at the top of Soudet...

Heading towards Aubisque

Preclimb espresso before Aubisque

The top of Aubisque

The top of Tourmalet

Riding the 1km warm up before Portillion

Heading towards Bonaigua

On top of Boniagua. Had a traditional Catalan lunch of sausage and eggs with french fries mixed in somehow.

Relaxing in a mountain river after the end of yesterday's ride and starting the rest day.
hbc07
AG
Trip wrapped on Friday.

Day 7: Sort to Puigcerda - 69 miles / 7405 feet - Port del Canto (1)
Day 8: Puigcerda to Vic-Sau - 86 miles / 7379 feet - Collada de Toses (2); Passo Tubau (3); Coll de Comia (4)
Day 9: Vic-Sau to Platja d'Aro - 77 miles / 5925 feet - Coll de Romegats (4); Collsesplanes (2); Sant Grau d'Ardenya (3); Sa Bardissa (4)

All in: 584 miles travelled with 60016 feet of climbing. It got hot on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees. The French side was 60s, Spanish side was 80s and 90s. I don't know how to eat like a regular person now. The hotel breakfast buffet this morning confused me. We were eating literally everything in sight over the last 2 weeks as we were burning an extra 3000-3500 calories every day.

I'm tired I felt like I got stronger as the trip went on which the guides were of the same opinion. Before the trip started I had concerns that I was going to embarrass myself, but I have no absolutely no regrets and would consider myself somewhere in the top half of the group on the trip. Some of it was getting more comfortable, but it was also just being able to put down more power for longer stretches of climbing. But I do know that last year at this time I was still in a wheelchair and never would have believed any of this was possible.

I now have a love for climbing/descending which is unfortunate given the relative flatness of DFW. The guides took a lot of pictures, but we'll have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for them to be uploaded to a site. There was a photographer on Tourmalet who I will probably buy a photo or two from:
TurboVelo
AG
FIDO95 said:

Can't believe this thread has been so quiet this Summer! Hopefully people still riding. I'm still hoping to get my "trifecta" done. I did Tour of Boerne in June (62 miles). I'm signed up for the HHH later this month, 75 mile and the Conquer the Coast, 66 mile, in September. Hopefully everyone is getting some time in the saddle.
A teammate and I are doing Conquer the Coast this weekend as well. I've always wanted to ride over the causeway

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.