Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Protein powder

2,482 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by PascalsWager
Hoosegow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For around 15 years protein powder was a regular part of my diet. I drank so many shakes that I reached a point that id rather go hungry than drink another shake.

Fast forward to this week. My wife love frozen desserts. Ice cream, gellatto, frozen custard,etc. I saw a video of the Ninja Creami. I bought her one. She made a sorbet or gellatto- I dont know the difference. I was pretty impressed.

Now I like ice cream. Those of you who kind of know my story know that I've quit drinking and have had to curtail working out. Quite frankly Ive gotten too fat - even for me. So the last 4 weeks I've been dieting. Atkins/keto works for me. Ive lost 15 lbs. I miss sweets. Seems like since im not drinking I crane sweets.

After I tried my wife's concoction, I thought, with many doubts, that id try basically a protein shake ice cream. Yesterday I put 3 scoops of ON whey in the container. I threw in a scoop of collegen for texture and froze it. Today, I put it the Ninja and let it do its thing. Holy crap! It was amazing. Im not going to say it is as good as Blue Bell, but it was a reasonable facsimilie of ice cream.

The whole container has 0 sugar and a total of 6 grams of carbs.

I did order some powdered cream but it hadnt come in yet, but I will try it next time. Also, I will add some orange metamucil. Im hoping it will taste like an orange julius. I need more fiber.

I told my wife that I would take the protein shake concoction over icecream 99 times out 100. The better taste of ice cream is marginal compare to the healthier option of what I made. I highly suggest giving it a try if you have some extra money and are tired of protein shake. Hell try it if you are looking for a healthier dessert. It is whey better than I ever expected (see what I did there?).

Fwiw, you can add fruit, nuts etc.

https://www.nbcnews.com/select/shopping/ninja-creami-review-rcna95316

FL_Ag1998
AG
Thanks for posting. I have a serious weakness for ice cream but at the age of 48 have pretty much cut it out of my diet because I just don't burn it off like I used to. But now I think I just found my Christmas gift for this year.
True Anomaly
AG
I got a Creami this past year and started playing with different combinations of flavors to try out some protein ice cream and I love it. If you know what you're doing- and depending on the recipe- you can make a whole pint of ice cream that's like 400 calories and 50 grams of protein

Those high-protein Fair Life Core Power shakes that are 42 grams of protein each? MUST
Jbob04
AG
Man I've been wanting one of these for awhile. I'm big on protein powder too and this seems like a game changer.
TXTransplant
This has become a whole little subculture online, especially places like Instagram. People posting all their new ice cream recipes.

I've really been enjoying the PB2 almond protein with Madagascar vanilla in my Greek yogurt lately. I bet that would make a delicious ice cream. And you don't need very much of it to get a great flavor (I only put 1/4 serving in my yogurt).
Sea Speed
AG
Thanks for costing me $150, OP.
texag06ish
AG
My nightly ice cream recipe:

4oz Milk
11oz Protien Shake
15 grams Zero Sugar Cool Whip
14 grams Zero Sugar Pudding Mix

Freeze overnight. Remove from freezer approximately 1hr before you want to eat. Mix on lite ice cream setting. Pull it out, level the pint. 1x on re-sping setting.

We make 7 at a time and that usually gets us about 10 days of daily ice cream.
texag06ish
AG
Also, if you have a Costco Membership, purchase the Creami from there. It's the XL model and cups are actually larger.
Sea Speed
AG
Found a used like new 24 oz rig on Amazon for $160. It's simply a return.
Matsui
AG
anyone have any other high protein low sugar cremini options?
aggiegolfer03
AG
that may be totally awesome, but using vanilla powder, milk of choice and frozen fruit as the "ice" in a blender works pretty well to make a directly consumable concoction similar to soft serve. Mixed berries and peaches are my favorite frozen fruits to use here...
Sea Speed
AG
How do you have an 11oz protein shake with only 4 oz milk? Are you using water?
Hoosegow
how many carbs does the pudding have?
I Am A Critic
Sea Speed said:

How do you have an 11oz protein shake with only 4 oz milk? Are you using water?
Those are two separate ingredients.
Username checks out.
texag06ish
AG
This is correct.

11oz premixed shake and 4 oz 2% Milk.
Sea Speed
AG
I get that. I guess he meant 11oz protein powder and not shake and that seems like a lot but maybe it isn't.
texag06ish
AG
Here are the macros on the chocolate version of this recipe.
94chem
One good thing about being a runner is that you don't care about all this carb nonsense. The downside is that you have to remember that the protein is for AFTER, not before, and the carbs are for BEFORE, not after.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
bam02
AG
Yeah, maybe there is one good thing about being a runner.
texag06ish
AG
I'm trying to get faster and lift more. I have to be mad efficient with my carb and protein intake. It's a challenge but this definitely helps.
94chem
texag06ish said:

I'm trying to get faster and lift more. I have to be mad efficient with my carb and protein intake. It's a challenge but this definitely helps.

I've just changed from a marathoner to a 400m runner. Got under 4h in the marathon. Have dropped my 400 from 1:12 to 1:04 over the past 3 months. I suspect diet might matter at some point...
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
texag06ish
AG
For sure. Per my nutritionist, carbs before for energy. Protein and more carbs after to restore glycogen stores, support muscle growth and mitigate soreness.
94chem
One other benefit is that people are finally having to learn the metric system.
94chem,
Tex117
AG
That creami thing is a recipe for disaster for me. I'd be chowing down on ice cream every day...every meal!
Crispin Torque
If you have a food processor or blender, you can do the same thing by making ice cubes of your protein mix and then blending those.

I have seen some videos of people having good success doing this with the $20 Ninja Chop.
PascalsWager
AG
What I do for desert is take 3/4-1cup of protein Greek Yogurt typically (Oikos has the most protein) unsweetened or artificially sweetened, half scoop of chocolate whey protein isolate of your choice, and mix them with a spoon for just under 200 Calories and 30 grams of protein. At worse it tastes like chocolate pudding. If I want to go slightly above 200 KCal, I'll do one tablespoon of dark chocolate chips in it too!

For people who are lazy with washing blenders/food processors or people who have more room calorie wise or for people who need to hit their protein goal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.