Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Cancer Scare

1,418 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by malenurse
malenurse
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought I would share my experiences over the last 4 months.

In March, I had an episode of blood in my urine. (hematuria) It was not alot, more like pink urine. I drank tons of water to flush my bladder. And it went away after several hours. Since I am a guy, and a Registered Nurse, I just ignored it and waited to see if it reoccurred.

In June, it reoccurred with a vengeance. Lots of blood and many clots. I remembered the advice I got once from one of the doctors I work with. If you have something that looks like it should hurt, but it doesn't. You need to get that checked out. I promptly made an appointment with a urologist to get it checked out.

Abdomen pelvic CT showed nothing, which was expected. Urologist performed a cystoscopy which revealed two small tumors on the lining of my bladder. One week later I had a transurethral resection of bladder tumor procedure. I know, sounds horrible.

This afternoon I had my two week follow-up with the urologist. Pathology confirmed that the tumors were "low grade". Plan of action is 6 rounds of chemo. On per week, done at the office via catheter directly into the bladder. Followed by quarterly cystoscopies for a year to monitor for reoccurrence. This was absolutely the best news I could have gotten!

Why do I share this? Men, and women, IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING THAT SHOULD HURT, BUT DOESN'T. GET THAT S**T CHECKED OUT.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
MouthBQ98
AG
Good reminder. Glad you are OK.
Aries
Going to do BCG??

My mother in law went through it & we treated her at my oncology clinic. Very little issues & she gets maintenance scopes now. It's been a few years for her.

malenurse
AG
Yes to BCG
Spore Ag
Any indication of cause? First or second hand smoking, family history etc?
malenurse
AG
None that I know of
Spore Ag
Sorry for intruding but glad you are on recovery and kicked cancers ass.
malenurse
AG
************ UPDATE****************

Finished 6th, and last chemotherapy last Friday. Was not BCG, but Gemcitabine. Because it was instilled directly into my bladder via foley catheter, I had minimal side effects.

The last 6 Fridays I would go to the Urologist office, have a catheter inserted, the NP would instill the chemo. I would go home and pretend to be a rotisserie chicken for 2 hours. Lay on back 15 minutes, left side 15 minutes, stomach 15 minutes and right side 15 minutes and so on. Then I would urinate, pour bleach into the toilet and flush 15 minutes later.

In four weeks I will have a follow up cystoscopy. I would appreciate prayers for a positive outcome.

In the meantime, tomorrow I leave for 2 weeks in Scotland where I will participate in a study of the effectiveness of single malt scotch on bladder cancer.
Jackal99
AG
Congratulations! Enjoy the trip, you've definitely earned it.
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

I would go home and pretend to be a rotisserie chicken for 2 hours. Lay on back 15 minutes, left side 15 minutes, stomach 15 minutes and right side 15 minutes and so on. Then I would urinate, pour bleach into the toilet and flush 15 minutes later.

I remember getting a scan on my stomach that required drinking gel and then rolling around. I kept thinking, "I'm in the age of Modern Medicine and all I'm doing is rolling around on a table."
malenurse
AG
Me after my chemo

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.