Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Skincare Thread

1,069 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by billyjack2009
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, after years of neglect I finally started taking care of my skin. Went to a dermatologist for a mole check and she started talking to me about my rosacea.

Current routine is ceravue face wash with a muslin cloth daily.

AM: Vitamin C + E Ferulic Acid with moisturizer on top

PM: Rhofade with moisturizer on top
Twice a week I use SkinCeuticals Phyto Corrective Masque

Honestly, I was doubtful at the outset. After a month I am I believer though. I honestly am amazed how how much better my skin looks.

Looking to add retinol or tretinoin to the bags under my eyes. Derma has recommended Broad Band laser. Does anyone have experience with either?
Hoosegow
I'm not a woman, so... no.

I kid.

Unfortunately skin care is one of those things that by the time you have a problem, it is really too late. Growing up in the 70's and 80's it was all about the tan. I remember my mom basically telling me that I needed to get a sunburn and then I was good for the summer. Now, i hardly go outside during the day without a long sleeve shirt on.

The skin is the largest organ in the body. To your point it is also the most neglected. I know I saw some research not too long ago between a link between skin health and alzheimers.

Sorry - don't have much to offer on your specifics. Probably a much needed topic and I look forward to reading the discussions.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Basal cell cancer twice. First time we were able to knock it out with a topical. Second time I needed Moh's. Both on my face. Not as old as Hoose (what's up, big guy), but not far off. I never wore sunscreen or a shirt in my teens and 20s. Now I wear sun-shirts with hoods, a hat, and bathe in block whenever I'm outside.

Don't jack around with your skin.

Only thing I can add is some hyaluronic cream or gel for those bags under the eyes. The Kiehl's super multi is a good one, but pricey. Keeps me from looking like I just had a 3 day bender when really I'm just old with young kids. The little eye gel pads (cheap on amazon) are good too. Ya, you look like an idiot, but the skin under your eyes will thank you.

Now, I'm going to go lift and pound some IPAs to feel better about writing this post.

Cheers all.
Life's an endless party, not a punch card.
Jerzzy
Tretinion is the gold standard in skin care. It's been studied and published on for years. I've only come off it for pregnancies. Makes a positive difference in ones skin. Never had experience with lasers or such.

The other golden rule is Suncreen, Suncreen and don't forget to wear your sunscreen. It really doesn't matter which kind as long as you are consistent. I can't use American chemical ones due to my sensitive skin but wear something 30+. Asian & European sunscreens blow American ones out of the water, our FDA is so far behind approving sunscreen filters. And take it down to your neck and chest.

I also use cerave or vanicream as a face wash. Simple and works great.

AM: VIT C, moisturizer and sunscreen
Pm: Tretinion and moisturizer

Once a year get a chemical peel from my Dermatologist due to post partum melasma (thanks kids), and that has helped alot as well.

Your derm sounds like they have you on a good plan. You don't need anything like a 10 step skin care routine, simple and consistent should work for most people.
BlueMiles
AG
One of those Rosacea creams (Soolantra) contains Ivermectin. Careful, you're not a horse!

Seriously though, a friend uses topical Soolantra and except for the price, she likes it. She also had some sort of laser therapy and it reduced the appearance of redness in her skin. I don't know what kind of laser.

I will give some of the Cerave products a try. And I absolutely need to start wearing sunscreen.
bigtruckguy3500
A good sunscreen is probably the foundation of skin care if you live in Texas. All the derms I know say you should be putting it on every day, as a few minutes here and there in the sun will add up. There are pictures out there of people that only put sunscreen on their face, and their neck looks a lot worse. Or truck drivers that only got sun exposure on half their face, and you can definitely see a huge difference.

I think, as Jerzzy said, tretinoin is probably the gold standard for "anti-aging." There's also adapelene, which is a similar compound, but tends to have less skin irritation. Tretinoin is the only one approved for wrinkles reduction, but adapelene works the same way, and is like 2nd generation of tretinoin, it just doesn't have the approval for wrinkle reduction, just for acne. Both work by increasing turnover of skin cells.

I'm not big on skin care, but I started using sunscreen daily on my face anytime I know I'll be outside for a long time. And will use a moisturizer on my face after shaving - which really helps with irritation.

As far as a good sunscreen goes, I've heard of a couple recommended by dermatologists - EltaMD, SuperGoop, Alastin, and a couple others. Most of them recommend a mineral based sunscreen, as they find it less irritating to the skin, but they'll all say that the chemical sunscreens are fine as well. There's also a cheap knock off of SuperGoop you can get at Trader Joes that's pretty good, for a fraction of the cost. Honestly though, at the end of the day, unless you have really sensitive skin anything is better than nothing.
MouthBQ98
AG
I get a good tan every summer…under 50-70 water resistant sport sunblock reapplied every 2-3 hours or as soon as I dry off after taking a swim. It takes longer but I never get a burn. That's all I really do except occasionally some good lotion if I get a bit of spring gator skin or fall dry skin.
Ragoo
AG
I get these spots on my legs. Only my legs. Same place every time. I've been to the dermatologist multiple times. Got creams, didnt help. Finally I got these injections that were magic. The spots completely went away, for about 6-9 months. They itch like hell, are dry, leathery, and will develop white heads in the pores that compound the itchiness.

billyjack2009
I'm a huge fan of this:
https://www.shoprescuespa.com/lotion-p50-original-1970.html?srsltid=AfmBOoqM0tdLWXk81BTojn3Zm6GyPCJwEf8tYsxq13gKaNwMfcS4-o-p

Smells odd. Google some reviews. It's a cult favorite. It is not like an alcohol-based toner. I love what it has done for the texture and tone of my skin.

Morning:
Wash with Cerave
Serum: The Ordinary The Buffet
Moisturizer: The Ordinary (I don't remember the specific one)

Evening:
Remove makeup with Juno (I think that's what it's called) melting balm stuff from Amazon
Wash with Cerave
Tone with P50
Serum: The Ordinary retinol
Moisturizer: The Ordinary (a richer one than the day one)

I did 3 IPL treatments for brown sunspots on my face last year in the fall. Only the first treatment produced results. I plan on doing another IPL round in October or so. I'm a 50 y/o female with Irish skin that sun worshipped like a damn fool in the 80's/90's. I have sunspots all over my forearms and may get IPL there just to see,
Beckdiesel03
AG
Where did you go for the IPL treatments?
billyjack2009
Elite Dermatology in the Vintage
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.