Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Running Shorts

947 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by 94chem
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know we've done this a bunch of times, but curious what people are wearing as new brands pop up.

I love Path Projects, but they just aren't durable enough. The material only lasts a year before it rips/tears, and i expect more out of something "expensive." I'll still probably buy their liners, b/c those things are great, but I'm done spending money on their shorts.

I need something with a zipper pocket big enough to throw my phone in, bonus points if that pocket is sweat/water resistant. And probably another pocket to throw some nutrition in if i'm running something long enough to require it, but not long enough that i want to carry my hydration vest.
Swarely
I really enjoy Fabletics, but I don't think that it meets your requirements.
RustyBoltz
AG
I really like the REI co-op Swiftland shorts - both the 5" for road and 7" for trail running.
htxag09
AG
My go to for my longer runs are still Lululemon.

They're expensive, but I have pairs that are easily 5+ years old. I've tried Path Projects (agree on the liners), Vuori, Dick's comparable brand (VRST?), etc.

I wear the Pacebreaker lined shorts. They don't have a zipper pocket for the phone, but do have a slide in slot for it in the liner, which is kind of nice as it's more secure. If I'm taking my phone on a long run, I generally put it in a ziploc and in that pocket.

They do have liner less, not sure if they have a different phone solution for those.
NoahAg
I've never run in anything more than standard Nike or Adidas. I can certainly see the difference between those and bargain brands like Academy's BCG. But what are the benefits of the more expensive "boutique" brands?
htxag09
AG
My experience, better fit and quality.

I have various Nike shorts and similar brands. I've had much more variation in sizing with those brands than the more expensive brands.

The quality is also better. The material dries faster, doesn't bunch, zippers don't get stuck, etc. My boutique brands also last twice as long as the Nike and similar brands.

And to me the liner makes all the difference. Other than Path Projects' separate liners, I haven't found a built in running liner I find as comfortable for long runs as Lululemon.

It's also not like those shorts are significantly cheaper. I mean you're talking like $55 vs. $60-70. Granted, more likely to go on sale....

ETA: I'll also say I'm a bigger guy. So I can get a lot of rubbing going on if liners bunch up and prefer the boxer brief style liners for that reason. For some, that obviously isn't an issue.
AggieOO
i don't do any sort of built in liner anymore. I want the short and the liner to be able to move independently. built in liners shift with the shorts and cause chafing. Its not going to happen on a 4 or 5 mile run, but it definitely happens to me in ultras. I cut the liner out of shorts, if they have one.

I also find that the the materials themselves tend to be less likely to chafe and dry faster than the major brands. Back in my road marathoning days, I worked indirectly for Nike, so I was swoosh from head to to for a number of years. Their gear was fine, but there weren't a lot of other options outside of the major brands 15+ years ago.

pockets are usually better places, and are zippered. When I put something in my pocket while running, i don't want it bouncing around. That doesn't matter much if I'm running a 3 miler in the neighborhood, but I carry a lot more crap on me when i'm doing a long run on the trail. And even if I have my pack on, I'll throw certain things in my pocket so i don't have to dig around in my vest for them.

To me, they are just more comfortable, which is very important to me when I'm wearing it for close to 30 hours sometimes.

And lastly, the higher quality shorts (and shirts) tend to not smell like a lot of my other gear.
NoahAg
Ah, thanks. What are your go to for liners?
AggieOO
path project
BQ2001
AG
I'm been running in Rabbit for a couple years now and really like their stuff. Generally I just wait for a close out sale. Lots of different models with pocket configs.
For a marathon, I put a pair of under armor boxer briefs underneath and that works for me.
bert harbinson
AG
Favorites are Rabbit Beach Breakers. Very well made, lots of pockets (two zippered), they do have a liner though.
94chem
Amazon - brand called Northyard. Plenty of zipper pockets, un-lined, 5", 7", and 9" lengths. ~$20
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
NoahAg said:

Ah, thanks. What are your go to for liners?
Amazon - David Archy. Rayon. 7 marathons, virtually no chafing.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
NoahAg
Thanks
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Tried lots of different shorts but always come back to the Brooks Sherpa 5". They just fit me right. The pockets definitely don't meet your criteria though.

Not sure how anyone runs in Lulus, I have multiple pairs of the pace breakers and I love them for around the house (I especially love the zipper phone pocket), but even walking 2 miles in them is pretty miserable, no way could I run in them.
htxag09
AG
Why do you think they'd be miserable? It's my go to choice for long runs. Never done ultras, but multiple marathons.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
I prefer running shorts with liners in them in, the liners in the pacemakers have way too much material and are too absorbent, they get heavy and bind up real bad when they get sweaty.

I love the liner less pace breaker for daily wear but even those are a little more material then I care for in a running short And I would still need to add some sort of liner.

I was curious when you said it doesn't have a zipper pocket, all the pairs I own have a zipper pocket pocket. That's perfect for my phone. Size is perfect and the location is great because it rides high on your hip and doesn't move around when you walk
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Aggie00 - I assume when you say you use a separate liner with your running shorts that those are essentially underwear for lack of a better analogy? You don't find them too heavy?

That's one of the reasons I've always stuck to the Brooks Sherpas, the liners and them are very thin so they don't absorb any moisture and they don't add any extra weight as I sweat
htxag09
AG
Interesting. I'm a very heavy sweater, just finished running 3 miles and my shirt is soaked halfway down. I've had the opposite experience with their liner. Do the Brooks you're running in have the brief style liner? Only Brooks style I've run in were brief style. I know lululemon standard is boxer briefs style. You used to also be able to get brief style, not sure if you can anymore. I still have a couple pairs that are probably 8 years old.

Mine have the zipper pocket on the right hip but seems too small for a phone? Maybe not, I've honestly never tried. I rarely run with a phone.

Also, haven't bought a pair in a couple years and the designs do change slightly year to year.
AggieOO
Crazy Ag 97 said:

Aggie00 - I assume when you say you use a separate liner with your running shorts that those are essentially underwear for lack of a better analogy? You don't find them too heavy?

That's one of the reasons I've always stuck to the Brooks Sherpas, the liners and them are very thin so they don't absorb any moisture and they don't add any extra weight as I sweat
the style of liner i wear are a boxer brief style. i don't find them heavy at all. almost don't notice them. wet or dry.
Ragoo
AG
Path project liner is essential IMO

I have been using their short too

But have been doing a lot more off the bike running in my tri shorts or Tri Suit and really like the way I feel running in tights. Anyone have a recommendation for running short tights? I have the hoka long tights for winter running.
94chem
And fwiw, I wear merino exclusively on top. Won't ever go back to nasty polyester. Merinoprotect, merinotech, smartwool...whatever is on sale for $40.

For whatever reason, merino shorts have never really caught on. I guess it's because people want lined stuff because they haven't discovered bamboo underwear yet.
94chem,
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.