Story Poster
Texas A&M Football

Cyrus & C-Mike talk run game, friendship & more with Jordan K

October 14, 2011

Jordan Kirkland: Guys, let's recap a little about Tech last week. Christine, do you want to start with a bit of individual evaluation as well as just a team outlook over the win?
Christine Michael: "First off, it was a great win. We all did our part, came out strong. We knew we had to out there and bring that victory back home. It started with the quarterback. The offense, we were all rolling. The defense had a little struggle but they got the thing going. We had to fight to the end, but we came out with the victory.
Gray: "The main thing was the offensive line played excellent in this game. They got guys moving and made protection calls and did very well. The offense ... sometimes you've got to carry the game and put the team on your back, and sometimes the defense has to do it, but the offense really helped out this week."

JK: How much of a relief is it to have that Tech game out of your belt? It's a hard place to go and play, especially during the last year the team will play there. How hard was the environment?
Gray: "It was very hard. Those guys stepped up and they were playing probably the best football they've played all year. That's one of those places that you've got to just go in and do your thing and get out. Our last time playing those guys, my last time playing Tech, so I'm just glad we got out of there with a win."

JK: Christine, a little bit of déjá vu, when you played Tech here last year, you hurt your leg badly. Were you a little nervous, going and playing Tech? Did you not want to get tackled?
Michael: "Yeah, honestly, I was kind of nervous going into that game. I was kind of hesitant at the beginning, but I had to say, 'What the heck, do this for the team' and not go out there with any worries and just run hard and do what I'm supposed to do."

JK: Looking back, you had almost a whole season to have to rehabilitate your leg. How were you able to persevere through that to being back to form today, maybe even better?
Michael: "Honestly, it was hard. Sitting back and not being able to do what I love to do, and that's playing ball. My team was up and rolling, six games in a row, strong. I enjoyed it, but I still wanted to be out there and help my team win those games. Now, I'll just say it's a blessing to be back and even healthier than I was before. I just give all the praise to the Lord."

JK: Cyrus, at the end of last season when Christine down at the middle of the season, you really took the team on your back. You went for seven straight games of over 100 yards. Did something change in your form or your scheme that helped you be able to do that, or was it just in your mind, "I've got to pick up some of the slack" that Christine left for you to take over?
Gray: "Yeah, of course I knew that I didn't have Chris, my runningmate, there. So I knew I had to step up and make some plays. I was also playing for him, so it was a situation where you have to put your all into it. Now I'm glad he's back and I'm not as tired as I was those last six or seven games when I was beat up. It's even better. We're both fresh, and we're rolling."

JK: How much has y'all's relationship evolved over these three years together? It seems like y'all are so strong and so close. Some people might say, "I don't see how they're so close. They're so competitive." How do y'all keep that mindset of the friendship and having the competition on the other side of it?
Gray: "I would have to say that my mom always said a family that prays together stays together. That's our main thing — we pray together. Right now we're about to leave here and go play Madden a bit. He beat me last night, so I've got to get back on it. We just have that relationship and that bond. We're brothers. Football is football. We both know we're talented and we're just going to do what we do on the field. We're just glad to be running backs and in the same backfield together."
Michael: "That was pretty solid. But I will say, one thing that's grown us closer together, when I went down he was the first guy there the same night, saying, 'C-Mike, I got you. I'm going to put the team on my back, I'm praying for you.' Like a brother, you know? That, back then, has carried over to now. I can trust him, we compete in the backfield together, make each other better, complement each other and just help each other out a lot."

JK: In the Arkansas game you rushed for over 200 yards. Was that the game where you thought, "Wow, I'm really back"? Kind of a turning point in your career?
Michael: "Yeah, it was. That game, I had a lot on my mind. We're going to the SEC next year, so it was a statement that, 'Hey, I'll be back next year and you're going to see a lot of me. I'll be here and just make sure you'll be here too. We're going to meet each other again.'"

JK: Cyrus, this last week against Tech you ran for over 100 yards. Both of you guys have ended up piggybacking. Either you rush for over 100 or you do. I think the fans want to see you both rush for over 150 against this Baylor team. Is that going to be possible? Are you ready to do that?
Gray: "If you get a chance, look at our offensive line. (Behind them) Any back can do that. Saturday ... we'll see. We'll see."
Michael: "Yeah, we'll see."

JK: Cyrus, you were actually there when Von Miller got drafted this past year. What was that like, being at the draft and seeing one of your closest friends and a fellow Aggie go No. 2 overall in the draft?
Gray: "It was like a dream come true. It felt like I was getting drafted. Von's my big brother, and I've been able to see a guy grow from being a boy to becoming a man. It's such a blessing. He's representing our University as well and he's doing very well in the NFL also. It just makes you more humble and hungry and you want to get there."

JK: Speaking of the NFL, is there a running back that you want to mirror your career after, someone that you love the cuts they do, the formation they run?
Michael: "I'm an Adrian Peterson-type guy. I like him. He can do a lot — he's a speedy guy, he can run with a lot of power, catch out of the backfield. I go with Adrian Peterson."
Gray: "I'm going with an old-school guy, Marshall Faulk. Guy that can do it all — block, catch balls, and also he was a team guy, so that's who I would love to be like."

JK: Talking about this week, preparation against Baylor, there's been a lot of smack talk going back and forth, a lot of stuff done that A&M's not happy with. I know there's a bunch of Facebook groups saying, "Run up the score against Baylor." How is the preparation going this week?
Gray: "It's the same. Just like any other team, we know what we have to do. Our main thing is winning. We'll just see who's the best team that day."

JK: What do you see in their defense that might be a concern for the offense to push forward and score a lot of points this weekend?
Michael: "They have a great defensive line. They have some stocky guys, some strong guys, but we'll let our big guys work up front like I know they will and we'll be great."

JK: Finally, a couple fan questions. You already brought one up, Madden '12. Who's the better Madden player?
Michael: "We're back and forth. Friday night, in Lubbock, I won the first game and he came back and blew me out. Last night I won. So we're pretty close together."

JK: And you already conceded that Christine would beat you, win an arm-wrestling contest?
Gray: "Of course. Look at the guy. He's strong."
Michael: "He just doesn't want to arm-wrestle."

JK: Coach Jordan ran by a little bit earlier and said that he could out-run both of y'all. Do you have a comeback for that?
Michael: (Laughing) "He could probably outrun me. I don't know about Cyrus."
Gray: "Coach Jordan has speed. He had the record back at North Carolina in the 100 meters, so I have to give it to Coach Jordan."
Discussion from...

Cyrus & C-Mike talk run game, friendship and more with Jordan K

9,503 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Just The Tippet
Jordan Kirkland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cyrus & C-Mike talk run game, friendship and more with Jordan K
mg99
AG
NICE!!!!

I think the big news in all of that is that C-Mike said he will be back next year.
Gabe Bock
Sponsor
AG
Yes...we've been promoting that C-Mike line all over.
pv
C-Mike
CorpsAg11
AG
Yea I had to play that back to make sure that's what he said. Great news!
AgCommander
AG
Classy guys! Thanks men for all you do and have done. Gig 'Em
Gigemaggies123
is Jordan like the younger A&M version of Erin Andrews?
El Gato
ffco
More Jordan K.

I am always happier after watching one of her segments.
maroonboots
I'm a fan of Jordan but she should know AGGIES DON'T WEAR GREEN SHIRTS during Baylor week.
sbs
AG
They are both great guys
Just The Tippet
AG
Nothing but class and integrity. Gotta love it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.