30 Players in 30 Days: #30 — Buddy Johnson

July 16, 2018

Position: Linebacker
Classification: Sophomore
Hometown: Dallas, Texas
Listed Height: 6-2
Listed Weight: 225

Notes from Billy's breakdown on Johnson

• I think first of all,  a lot of people compared him to Richard Moore, but he's so much bigger. I don't know if you saw the picture of him and Cameron Buckley from this weekend, but he looks so much bigger. I think him or Anthony Hines have to emerge this season as a good, playmaking SEC linebacker. You have to have more at this position than just Tyrel Dodson and Otaro Alaka, you need that depth. This is the one position they haven't dreamed of matching the level of play in this league. A&M and Mike Elko don't have a lot of options right now, so Johnson needs to step up.

• He was hurt this spring, he had a surgery and is all good now. But that was definately slowing him down in the spring. He led the spring game in tackles with that injury. Hopefully now they see a new and improved version of him and he fits into that new rover role. Alongside Dodson, Alaka and Hines who is the other factor at linebacker? That's one of the big holes in this roster.

• He's got the speed, he played quarterback in high school back at Dallas Kimball and is just a great athlete. I think he is more like the type of guy linebackers coach Bradley Dale Peveto used to have at LSU. I think with Buddy's athletic background, playing all kinds of positions in high school, I really like what he brings to the table. Now you see why Texas A&M fought so hard for him up until signing day even when he was wavering.

Special thanks to southeastern New Mexico’s best kept secret, Rainmakers Resort and Club, an Aggie-owned resort featuring summer temps in the 70s and 80s and a Robert Trent Jones-designed golf course.

Go to RainmakersUSA.com to see for yourself what makes Rainmakers Resort and Club so unique and special.

Follow the entire 30 Players in 30 Days series here.
Discussion from...

30 Players in 30 Days: #30 — Buddy Johnson

14,120 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TAM85
inch05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the link to the sponsor seems to be mis-formatted.--works now, thanks
rocky the dog
AG
When you move Cullen Gillespia from linebacker, where our depth is thin, to a running back, where we have lots of depth, I question the wisdom of this move. Doesn't mean I don't like having him in the offensive backfield, I just question taking a linebacker away, especially now that we have lost Santino.
Raptor
AG
Coaches get paid to make these decisions. What do we get paid to analyze and question them?
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

rocky the dog
AG
Quote:

Coaches get paid to make these decisions
And coaches are known for making mistakes.
Dddfff
AG
If we are relying on CG to be a meaningful playmaker anywhere besides special teams is going to be a long ol season.
Tamu_mgm
AG
rocky the dog said:

When you move Cullen Gillespia from linebacker, where our depth is thin, to a running back, where we have lots of depth, I question the wisdom of this move. Doesn't mean I don't like having him in the offensive backfield, I just question taking a linebacker away, especially now that we have lost Santino.
The staff moved Gillespia to FULLBACK not running back. The difference in responsibilities are significant. Fisher utilizes the fullback a lot in blocking schemes and sometimes as a target for the QB. We had exactly zero fullbacks before Cullen, whereas we had some LB options.
rocky the dog
AG
Quote:

The staff moved Gillespia to FULLBACK not running back
I know the difference. You're splitting hairs. He's going to run the ball. He's a back, okay? I also realize we haven't used a fullback in years. I just don't think when there is a depth problem at LB before and after Marchiol decided to leave, that you move one of your LB's out of that position. Maybe Daylon Mack would have been the better choice. Just my opinion, if you don't mind.
Tamu_mgm
AG
rocky the dog said:

Quote:

I know the difference. You're splitting hairs. He's going to run the ball. He's a back, okay? I also realize we haven't used a fullback in years. I just don't think when there is a depth problem at LB before and after Marchiol decided to leave, that you move one of your LB's out of that position. Maybe Daylon Mack would have been the better choice. Just my opinion, if you don't mind.
I understand that, but fullbacks very rarely run the ball, so it's significantly different than a RB. They are there to block 95% of the time. That is a critical position in what Fisher wants to do. On top of that, there was no depth at fullback, where there was at least a 2 deep with Marchiol.

I get what you're saying, but see it from the coach's perspective. What's more glaring? Position with 2-deep or position with no one, and no Daylon Mack was never an option. He is in the 2 deep for DT, and is or never was going to play both ways. He's had trouble keeping up with the limited snaps he's had the past 3 years as is.
Chesapeake Ag
Tamu_mgm said:

rocky the dog said:

Quote:

I understand that, but fullbacks very rarely run the ball, so it's significantly different than a RB. They are there to block 95% of the time. That is a critical position in what Fisher wants to do. On top of that, there was no depth at fullback, where there was at least a 2 deep with Marchiol.

I get what you're saying, but see it from the coach's perspective. What's more glaring? Position with 2-deep or position with no one, and no Daylon Mack was never an option. He is in the 2 deep for DT, and is or never was going to play both ways. He's had trouble keeping up with the limited snaps he's had the past 3 years as is.
The last staff left us with a lopsided profile with few good options. This team is top-heavy in underclassman WRs and DBs and at 5'8" and 5'9" the top returning RBs will depend more on getting a crease or misdirection in this league. Certainly there weren't any better candidates for FB.

This staff has a reputation for moving players to where they will succeed, but this year we may take our lumps early and need for some true freshmen to surprise, some of whom have the size but not experience to jump in.

The rover position looks like a better fit for Buddy Johnson and also allowed them to move Ikenna Okeke over. But depth is an obvious concern.
AG
Every time I hear his name reminds me of the movie "Pure Country".
Lateralus Ag
AG
rocky the dog said:

Quote:

We have a lot of true football folks on this board. Guys that coach actual football.

I am not one of those guys. But even I know the difference between a RB like T William's and a FB.

Seriously right now?
Aggie12B
AG
I LOVE having linebackers that used to play quarterback. Johnny Holland and William Thomas both played QB in high school and were OUTSTANDING linebackers back when the Wrecking Crew was alive and kicking azz!
All_In_Ags
Agvet12
AG
rocky the dog said:

I question you're timeline analysis...

CG changed positions well before Marchiol left or let it known he was leaving... so we had solid depth when CG moved to a position of need, where we had no one at the time.
TAM85
RB vs. FB =/= splitting hairs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.