Story Poster
Photo by Erik Williams-USA TODAY Sports
Texas A&M Football

Aggies look to repeat history with win over No. 2 Clemson

September 7, 2018

It doesn’t happen often, but it’s happened before. Twenty years ago the college football team ranked No. 2 in the country ventured into Kyle Field and left as an upset victim. That was the Nebraska Cornhuskers, whose 40-game regular season winning streak was brought to an abrupt halt as Texas A&M prevailed 28-7.

This year’s Aggies hope to repeat that history on Saturday against the No. 2 Clemson Tigers, who are now as powerful and explosive as the Cornhuskers of ’98 were. Kickoff is at 6 p.m.

“Clemson has been as good as anybody in college football in the last few years,” said Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher who was 4-4 against the Tigers as head coach at Florida State. “They’re well coached. They’ve got great players. We all know that. We’re going to find out if our guys can compete and stay focused in the game.”

Then-A&M coach R.C. Slocum might have said something similar prior to facing Nebraska in ’98. In that game, A&M capitalized on scoring opportunities, rushed for 259 yards and allowed just two sacks. The Aggies defense held the Huskers to 345 total yards. A&M won the turnover battle (2-1). The Aggies took an early lead and whipped a crowd of 60,798 into a deafening frenzy.

If the Aggies can duplicate those feats against Clemson they will whip into a frenzy a crowd that is

"If the Aggies can duplicate those feats against Clemson they will whip into a frenzy a crowd that is expected to twice as large as that in 1998."

expected to twice as large as that in 1998. The Aggies must run effectively. Trayveon Williams won’t repeat his 240-yard outburst in last week’s 59-7 season-opening victory over Northwestern State, but he must be productive. 

“We have to have balance,” Fisher said. “There may be tough sledding at times. There may be times you bang it and you're not getting tons of yards. But you’ve got to make them respect the run, you’ve got to run the football and you’ve got to keep balance because they’ve got to play it. If not, you become one-dimensional and the guys up front can tee off and come after you."

Clemson can come after the quarterback as ferociously as any team in the country. Last year the Tigers led the nation in sacks and the entire defensive line of Clelin Ferrell, Dexter Lawrence, Christian Wilkins, and Austin Bryant returned intact. The Aggies allowed just two sacks in that ’98 win over Nebraska. They must find a way to minimize Clemson’s pass rush too.

“It will be imperative,” Fisher said. “Those (Clemson) guys up front were all of them are first or second-team All-American last year. All four of those guys. They’re dynamic. They can beat you with power. They can beat you with speed. They beat you with experience, agility, knowledge. They're a well-coached group. It’ll be a challenge.”

Rey Romo, TexAgs
Kellen Mond will be pitted agaainst one of the toughest defenses in the nation on Saturday night.

The challenge also includes limiting turnovers, converting on third down, containing Clemson’s offense, preventing big plays and capitalizing on scoring opportunities when they do come. Of course, none of that is going to come easily.

“You're not going to be given anything. You have to earn everything that you're going to get,” Fisher said. “That’s going to be the key. You can’t wait for them to make a mistake and say, ‘Oh, there’s a big play. If one of those happens to happen you better take advantage.”

Just what’s the Aggies did against Nebraska. Then, they maintained that momentum and went on to win the Big 12 championship over Kansas State, which by the way, was ranked No. 2.

Discussion from...

Aggies look to repeat history with win over No. 2 Clemson

18,731 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mozart Paintings
SEC Champs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was there for that great game. We were on a ridiculous home winning streak til we gave up one to CU in 2000.

Those were great years to stand as a student at Kyle. Hoping we're on the verge of bringing back the glory days of the Wrecking Crew and the Hate Barn.
Aggie 49
AG
"Wrecking Crew"
ABATTBQ87
AG
Quote:

That was the Nebraska Cornhuskers, whose 40-game regular season winning streak was brought to an abrupt halt as Texas A&M prevailed 28-21
FIFY
secmaroonblood
AG
That was the greatest single sporting event I've ever been a part of. I also think it was the loudest I've ever heard Kyle Field. It was a great time to be a student, and my "bullet-proof" polyester uniform didn't even bother me that day.

I hope the students in Kyle this Saturday walk away with the same memory. Gig 'Em Ags
Sarge 91
AG
I am half mast right now.
rebelAg02
My fish year when we beat Nebraska. Will never forget that. Was awesome
MR Gadsden
60,798 * 2 = 121,596

That would be impressive.
Triple-T
AG
Those were some great days, when we didn't necessarily even appreciate what we had.

Here's to great days to come with Jimbo at Kyle
wessimo
AG
I was also there as a student. That was 20 years ago? Dang I'm old.
Mozart Paintings
AG
When we had the sack fumble that resulted in a touchdown, it was the loudest moment I've ever been a part of at a sporting event. I still get goose bumps thinking of that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.