Photo by Luke Evangelist, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Chris Doering: Mike Elko brings his 'physical' mentality to Texas A&M

July 16, 2024

College football is right around the corner, and at SEC Media Days 2024, we sat down with SEC Network analyst Chris Doering. The legendary Florida Gator receiver spoke on how he views A&M in year one under Mike Elko, as well as other opponents within the league.

Key notes from Chris Doering interview

• I’m really excited about this Texas A&M team this season. Coach Mike Elko, having been there before, understands the culture. What he has been able to do with that defense the first time he was there and what he did at Duke... It just brings a physical kind of mentality that I think is going to fit this A&M team. Particularly when you go on the road, you’ve got to play physical, and I think he’ll bring that.

• I am so excited about Conner Weigman coming back, and it feels like a brand-new start almost. He was gone so long last year. It seems like forever since we’ve seen him play. I’ve heard a lot of talk about him being a first-round quarterback in the NFL Draft next spring. I’m excited about what he can do in this offense, too. He can make some really big-time plays.

• We asked Weigman to play as a freshman, and I think a lot of times, we remember some of the mistakes and growing pains that he went through. All of that is going to benefit him. When you have a season-ending injury, and you’re away from and watching all your teammates play, it really gives you a great appreciation for getting to do what we do. It also creates a higher sense of urgency and realizing there’s a finite amount of time you’re going to be able to play.

• I think Weigman is going to benefit from the struggles that he’s gone through. He’s going to benefit from the injury and the time away, and I think he’s going to play with a real intent and purpose this season.

• I think it’s possible that Florida could be better, but it will not necessarily be reflected in the win improvement. I don’t necessarily see Billy Napier being on the hot seat.

• Now short of being a complete, disorganized disaster, I think you have to understand there’s still some work being done and progress is being made. I think there’s a lot of things to be excited about. I think Florida will win seven games this year. I really do. As much as I don’t think there’s a number that he has to hit to make it seem like a success, I think it looks a lot better than it did last year.
Discussion from...

Chris Doering: Mike Elko brings his 'physical' mentality to Texas A&M

2,740 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by David Nuño
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.