Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Conner is stil QB1

29,592 Views | 281 Replies | Last: 22 min ago by BraxtonW
duddleysdraw88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If CW even sniffs the field on Saturday, this could be my last game at Kyle Field for the foreseeable future!

*unless Reed sheets the bed or is injured
Emilio Fantastico
AG
LB12Diamond said:

If you are going with that as your reasoning. Thats fine. I'm going with what I'm seeing from our head coach. He's not Jimbo, he speaks it for all to see.

Can you at least see the difference in those two statements. If what you were saying about CW being healthy were true. Elko would have stated it that way. As many coaches have in the past.

But when coaches state it like Elko did yesterday, I have seen many QBs not get the job automatically back even when they are healthy.
One thing Elko did talk about in the press conference was that they were taking another look at Conner's shoulder to make sure they didn't miss anything because it apparently isn't coming along the way they expected.
With that, he said they would consult the medical staff to see if they should take a different course (I take that to mean rest him until he is healed vs having him try to practice/play through it).

All we really know right now is that a healthy Reed is probably better than the current state of Weigman.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Emilio Fantastico said:

LB12Diamond said:

If you are going with that as your reasoning. Thats fine. I'm going with what I'm seeing from our head coach. He's not Jimbo, he speaks it for all to see.

Can you at least see the difference in those two statements. If what you were saying about CW being healthy were true. Elko would have stated it that way. As many coaches have in the past.

But when coaches state it like Elko did yesterday, I have seen many QBs not get the job automatically back even when they are healthy.
One thing Elko did talk about in the press conference was that they were taking another look at Conner's shoulder to make sure they didn't miss anything because it apparently isn't coming along the way they expected.
With that, he said they would consult the medical staff to see if they should take a different course (I take that to mean rest him until he is healed vs having him try to practice/play through it).

All we really know right now is that a healthy Reed is probably better than the current state of Weigman.
If Weigman is showing signs that his shoulder isnt where it needs to be it would seem like Reed is going to get the next two games to take over. After that he is either the starter for Missouri or Weigman is back in at 11am on 10/05.
CrottyKid
AG
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

Emilio Fantastico said:

LB12Diamond said:

If Weigman is showing signs that his shoulder isnt where it needs to be it would seem like Reed is going to get the next two games to take over. After that he is either the starter for Missouri or Weigman is back in at 11am on 10/05.

Which would be stupid AF if Reed wins all those games.
AWP 97
AG
Ashton Funk is listed as the backup Center behind Faaiu, also. Does OP think that means anything, either?
94chem
I'll put my money on UH.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Heineken-Ashi
OMB100GAS said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

ViewFromTheSidelines said:

Gyles Marrett said:

It's a little crazy that we are even discussing this after Florida game.
Not really, FL was really bad. Look at the week prior. Each got a half, Conner looked great, Reed looked meh.

I don't expect Conner to be healthy this week and Reed will play so getting to see another game of what we have in Reed would be nice.
The week before we played McNeese, which was 10x worse than Florida. No way you don't start Reed, no way.
they both featured td passes where there wasn't a defender anywhere near the receiver.
Reed hit one after going through the full route tree and hitting the 4th read, and the second TD he rolled to the left, squared his body, and threw downfield hitting the guy in stride.

Ball was underthrown, WR had to slow down to catch it, but better than over throwing wide open guy. Not exactly hitting in stride, really shows how good Cyrus is on locating and positioning, he timed it very well to continue his movement
Underthrown?

I've started this video on the exact play. If Cyrus slowed down, it wasn't by much. That's pretty dang close to hitting him in full stride while throwing from a contorted body angle rolling out to the left. My case stands.

“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
VP at Pierce and Pierce
If Reed wins the next two I have a hard time believing he isn't the full time starter.
Caesar4
AG
vander54 said:

Bowling Green Depth Chart has him as the starter. So now we wait to see if he's still injured.
Um, that is the A&M depth chart.
duddleysdraw88
AG
OMB100GAS said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Gyles Marrett said:

It's a little crazy that we are even discussing this after Florida game.
Not really, FL was really bad. Look at the week prior. Each got a half, Conner looked great, Reed looked meh.

I don't expect Conner to be healthy this week and Reed will play so getting to see another game of what we have in Reed would be nice.
The week before we played McNeese, which was 10x worse than Florida. No way you don't start Reed, no way.
they both featured td passes where there wasn't a defender anywhere near the receiver.
Reed hit one after going through the full route tree and hitting the 4th read, and the second TD he rolled to the left, squared his body, and threw downfield hitting the guy in stride.

Ball was underthrown, WR had to slow down to catch it, but better than over throwing wide open guy. Not exactly hitting in stride, really shows how good Cyrus is on locating and positioning, he timed it very well to continue his movement

What are you smoking? That was an awesome throw!

Rolling out left, throwing across his body and lays it in Cyrus' hands in stride for a 73 yard TD.

How can you honestly criticize that throw? AT ALL???
Never change TexAgs…… never change!
duddleysdraw88
AG
A 100% healthy CW could not have done what Reed did against fla.

Reed showed some things that were truly eye opening in this game and people across the college football nation took notice as well.

A 100% healthy (at least physically) CW should not even be considered to start games moving forward until Reed somehow proves that he is not capable of being QB1.

Like what we sensed when Johnny FF showed those initial flashes against fla in his first game in 2012, you kinda get a sense that Reed could maybe be a special game changing QB talent as well. (dang you Taylor Bertolet)

*no…… I am not claiming that he is the second coming of JFF

dixichkn
AG
duddleysdraw88 said:

If CW even sniffs the field on Saturday, this could be my last game at Kyle Field for the foreseeable future!

Wow. Well that's a game changer. I'll be sure Elko gets this earth shattering information
OMB100GAS
AG
I've seen the play on TV and in person and if the ball was not underthrown, Allen would not have needed a block and cut back, he would have just gone straight for 6

ball needs to be 3-5 yards further and not on the inside shoulder, again Allen slowing down and adjusting to the underthrown ball is why this seemed smoother than it was. Allen did an elite job timing the catch to continue his momentum
OMB100GAS
AG
Wide open receiver.... should be the easiest pass to make, not sure why anyone thinks the pass is special by any means. The only special part is Marcel choosing that read instead of the other 2 options which were also wide open.
TX_Aggie37
AG
Probably because we haven't scored a 70+ yard TD pass since Demond Demas in 2021. It was a well thrown ball and the TD was scored. He was so open you just get him the ball and don't overthrow him.
OMB100GAS
AG
13B said:

OMB100GAS said:

W said:

here's the problem with starting Connor on a short leash...

if that had been the approach vs. Florida...

Reed's 30-yard scramble on the opening drive doesn't happen

and his scramble was arguably the biggest play of the 1st half
If we started CW it would have been because he's healthy and ready to go and in that case, we would have passed 1 or 2 times in the first set of downs, instead of the 2 rushes, 2 penalties, and a scramble

Nice to know Marcel can do that for us, but would not have been in the same position with CW to make this comparison
Not sure how you can know this?

1 or 2 passes, if that were the plays called, could have been incomplete. They may have dialed up running plays to establish a dominant run game. How do you know we wouldn't have 2 penalties under CW (are you saying those were MR's fault)? So far, this season, I don't believe I've seen CW rip off a 30 yard scramble. How could you possibly know that our first drive would not have occurred exactly the same but without the scramble for the first down?
so it is your claim that if we switched players, every single aspect of the game would have be the same? you must not understand statistics, let alone football.

Think of all the variables that would have to remain the same in order for Conner to even been in the position to make that scramble. It's practically impossible it would have played out the same way so the entire comparison is pointless

It's is most likely that our play calls, florida's play calls, AND the penalties would not have been exactly the same if CW got the start. Just basic understanding of statistics
OMB100GAS
AG
The only good thing about the ball was the decision to throw it and the fact it was caught. Henderson could make that pass and so could Conner with an injured shoulder
taylorswift13_
OMB100GAS said:

Wide open receiver.... should be the easiest pass to make, not sure why anyone thinks the pass is special by any means. The only special part is Marcel choosing that read instead of the other 2 options which were also wide open.
or maybe cause Weigman would roll out much slower to his left and probably under throws the tight end in the flat or overthrows Cyrus downfield
LuoJi
Reed looked better in 1 quarter than Weigman has looked since his freshman year.
TX_Aggie37
AG
I didn't say they couldn't. I just said it was a well thrown ball and he didn't miss.
jrdaustin
AG
The one thing I know for sure is that Reed is the only QB on the roster that could have made that "nasty" juke against the opposing LB.

What difference does that make?

Every DC moving forward will know he has to place a dedicated spy on Reed to try to keep him from getting loose, or risk a big play on the ground by Reed. And even THAT might not be enough. So that's one less defender rushing the passer and creating pressure.

At the current time, CW is clearly not his best from a health standpoint. Defenses will bring the house. And him performing with a shoulder less than 100% against a defensive pass rush with ears pinned back will put him at a disadvantage. So, I don't expect to see Connor for at least a few weeks. Then we'll see.
Moe 92
AG
Reed did not look great in his time against McNeese, but he was lights out versus Florida and in the bowl game. Conner has looked very-good-to-great in most of his starts, but had a single bad game against Notre Dame. Call me crazy, but I'm gonna go ahead and trust Elko and Klein to make the call rather than our resident geniuses here. I'm great with Reed starting if that's the call, but I also believe that if and when Conner earns the start again, they'll use Reed when warranted.
Logos Stick
OMB100GAS said:

I've seen the play on TV and in person and if the ball was not underthrown, Allen would not have needed a block and cut back, he would have just gone straight for 6

ball needs to be 3-5 yards further and not on the inside shoulder, again Allen slowing down and adjusting to the underthrown ball is why this seemed smoother than it was. Allen did an elite job timing the catch to continue his momentum

Ball was not under thrown. Also, throwing to a wide open receiver is not the easiest throw because QBs are tempted to overthink it since it is wide open.
duddleysdraw88
AG
dixichkn said:

duddleysdraw88 said:

Wow. Well that's a game changer. I'll be sure Elko gets this earth shattering information

I knew that was coming… lol

This was no way a knock on this coaching staff at all. Like I previously said, i am 100% supportive of them and the rest of the team.

If CW plays QB1 again, i think it will be forced from higher ups……. and that is what drives me nuts!

I meant that I am going to quit investing so much time if we keep doing the same ol sheet from here to eternity!

LB12Diamond
AG
duddleysdraw88 said:

dixichkn said:

duddleysdraw88 said:

I knew that was coming… lol

This was no way a knock on this coaching staff at all. Like I previously said, i am 100% supportive of them and the rest of the team.

If CW plays QB1 again, i think it will be forced from higher ups……. and that is what drives me nuts!

I meant that I am going to quit investing so much time if we keep doing the same ol sheet from here to eternity!

Do you really think something like this would happen. I don't see this taking place with Trev. He knows how important the football program is and he knows winning is also important. He's not going to let anyone mess with the coaches.
jsc8116
AG
Miss St. D says hold my beer
rsf0626
I think Elko is going to be dealing with more politics here than we think, especially now that NIL is involved, etc

I obviously think Reed should be the starter but it may not end up that way unfortunately
rsf0626
dcg4403
AG
duddleysdraw88 said:

Good, fans like you, shouldnt be allowed in Kyle field to be honest. As much as I hate to say it.

So your logic is this.....

Weigman goes immediately to QB2. Injured or not.

Reed is QB1 period.

Reed continues as QB1 until he craps the bed. So I assume this means that Conner crapped the bed?

So once Conner and Reed both crap the bed then Henderson gets QB1 without a thought, right?

But what happens when Henderson craps the bed too?

Walk on?

Weigman needs to play more. Period. It is BEST for the TEAM. Reed needs to play more, too. Our season is about having two solid QBs that can do damage when asked.

That is what will happen. This I know as does anyone else that understands football and this particular situation.

Now if Conner craps whenever he finally plays. Then I agree that Reed is handed the ball and annointed as QB1 for the remainder of the year.

And all QBs...even JFF....will crap the bed at some point. You are probably too young to know about Johnny's bad games.
Slicer97
AG
JFF had nothing behind him that could out-perform his bad starts. JFF at his worst was a better option than QB2.
Magneto
AG
Moe 92 said:

Reed did not look great in his time against McNeese, but he was lights out versus Florida and in the bowl game. Conner has looked very-good-to-great in most of his starts, but had a single bad game against Notre Dame. Call me crazy, but I'm gonna go ahead and trust the Elko and Collins to make the call rather than our resident geniuses here. I'm great with Reed starting if that's the call, but I also believe that if and when Conner earns the start again, they'll use Reed when warranted.

Starting a game the day of vs going in during garbage time are two different events in a young QB's head……..

InfantryAg
AG
I don't like Conner as QB. If he's gonna start another game though, this would be the one to see if he can get his head on straight. No problem giving him the 1st half as his last chance to perform, if Elko still believes in him as the "franchise" QB.

If he still sucks, Reed can be off to the races.

I do believe that will settle this question.

duddleysdraw88
AG
dcg4403 said:

duddleysdraw88 said:

Good, fans like you, shouldnt be allowed in Kyle field to be honest. As much as I hate to say it.

So your logic is this.....

Weigman goes immediately to QB2. Injured or not.

Reed is QB1 period.

Reed continues as QB1 until he craps the bed. So I assume this means that Conner crapped the bed?

So once Conner and Reed both crap the bed then Henderson gets QB1 without a thought, right?

But what happens when Henderson craps the bed too?

Walk on?

Weigman needs to play more. Period. It is BEST for the TEAM. Reed needs to play more, too. Our season is about having two solid QBs that can do damage when asked.

That is what will happen. This I know as does anyone else that understands football and this particular situation.

Now if Conner craps whenever he finally plays. Then I agree that Reed is handed the ball and annointed as QB1 for the remainder of the year.

And all QBs...even JFF....will crap the bed at some point. You are probably too young to know about Johnny's bad games.
Wow! How did you extrapolate all of that uneducated garbage opinion from my post?

1. CW crapped the bed week 1. As in, WORST qbr in the nation! Not #50, not #75, not #99 but D.F.L.
2. Since he is "injured" (and as well as Reed played), CW shouldn't be playing Saturday.

How is that bad logic?

Seems your logic, or lack thereof, is flawed.

Also, you determined that I shouldn't be allowed in Kyle Field?

What B.S. high horse did you ride in on? Sounds like you are trying to overcompensate for some insecurity that hides deep within some dark place that you try to hide.

I didn't go to every game (but most of them) and Johnny's "bad games" were always fun to watch because he was such a dynamic player there was always a chance he was going to pull it off.

Reed appears to be closer to that dynamic look and ability than CW.

p.s. Pretty sure I've been watching the Aggies longer than you have been alive!
p.s.s. See ya Saturday....but I'm guessing probably not
Logos Stick
Reed is the guy. Best thing for the team is for him to start going forward.
Bryanisbest
AG
Everybody on here was complaining how Conner throws to his first read or eats the football. Reed threw to his third option several times during that last game. Huge difference in the two.
LuoJi
A mid to below average player on a losing team who has also been injured most of his career isn't going to wake up under a new coach and become elite.

It's time to move on to a guy less damaged mentally and physically.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.