Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

It was Florida

9,059 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by romanagg11
Bill Superman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know the zoo has it all figured out and QB2 is always the answer, but let's take a step back and look at the full picture.

Reed may very well be the future and worthy of QB1, especially after showcasing an elite set of skills this past weekend. But let's not forget that Florida is the worst they've ever been. Their offense is floundering and defense has busted coverage after busted coverage.

On the other hand it was an SEC matchup in a hostile environment and Reed did exactly what a good QB needed to all things considered.

But an injured CW in the first game of the season in a new system against a top defense vs a healthy Reed against one of the worst SEC defenses is not a fair comparison.

I really like what I saw with Reed but am also not ready to just write off CW and kick him to the transfer portal. He has a lot is skills and we have seen more good games than bad games from him.

It will be interesting to see how Elko juggles this dilemma going forward. I don't want to see CW start again until he is at least 100% healthy. Until then, we get to really see what Reed is made of and maybe the decision becomes a little easier.
chrisag09
AG
"…and we have seen more good games than bad games from him" - and which games might those be? Let's do conference games only bc I'm also not a fan of unfair comparisons
jt16
AG
Well no kidding. I'm actually more excited about how MR looked coming in unexpectedly against a good OSU defense and gave us a chance to win an unwinnable game as a true freshman. That was a tough spot and he looked better than he should have
sodycracker
AG
Reed has elite quickness and decisiveness (think JFF)
Reed doesn't turn the ball over (think JFF)
No situation is too big for Reed (think JFF)
Reed is highly competitive (think JFF)

Reed appears to be grounded & level headed (well, 4 out of 5 ain't bad)
Bill Superman
AG
jt16 said:

Well no kidding. I'm actually more excited about how MR looked coming in unexpectedly against a good OSU defense and gave us a chance to win an unwinnable game as a true freshman. That was a tough spot and he looked better than he should have
This is true. Reed looked great against them, but again it wasn't against an SEC caliber defense and we still lost the game.

Most folks thought we would've won a lot more games including that one with a healthy CW. That all changed with his epicly bad performance against ND.

I would compare Ok st game with Reed to the Miami game with CW. Both performed well but we still came up with the L.
Bill Superman
AG
sodycracker said:

Reed has elite quickness and decisiveness (think JFF)
Reed doesn't turn the ball over (think JFF)
No situation is too big for Reed (think JFF)
Reed is highly competitive (think JFF)

Reed appears to be grounded & level headed (well, 4 out of 5 ain't bad)
Reed definitely appears to be the closest skill set to JFF that we've had since he was here. But it is way too early to compare him to the goat.

I'm hoping he gets the start against BG and Arky so we can get a better look.
Bryanisbest
AG
I am not sure we will ever play a team strong enough in retrospect to win over those who continue to sow doubt about Reed. Maybe Texas will be.
Buck Turgidson
I remember when Kenny Hill ran all over South Carolina and we had him suddenly elevated to Heisman candidate in our Kool Aid addled minds. Lets see how this kid does against some of our tougher opponents before overreacting again. Florida had a weak defense.
halfastros81
AG
Johnny had the benefit of having Evans and Swope as well. Evans bailed us out of more than one tight spots.
beerad12man
AG
chrisag09 said:

"…and we have seen more good games than bad games from him" - and which games might those be? Let's do conference games only bc I'm also not a fan of unfair comparisons

Before Notre dame, we had yet to see Conner play a bad game.

People will point to Auburn or Miami, but it's a flat out lazy analysis. If you actually break down that game (and I have charted them), CW was good. Against Auburn, he threw 14 passes. People will say he was 8/14 and we scored 6 points. But 10 of those were what I would describe as good passes. Passes where the receiver didn't have to adjust, reach, slow down, etc. just easily catchable balls. One was mediocre but still caught. One was bad. Two it's hard to tell because the WR ran the wrong route. Our OL had 5 penalties which killed 3 of our drives. We had a drop killing another. We had at minimum of two wrong routes run by the same receiver on back to back possessions. People point to this as a bad game by Conner, but it's a lazy analysis and I'd guess 99% of those people never bothered to rewatch what was actually happening. Just a terrible performance by the entire offense.

Now, if he can't be better than what he was against Notre dame, or he can't get healthy, Reed will take the job and run. But I think CW is still much better than that. It's crazy how much people want to move on from him because of one game. And yes, it is absolutely one game.

I don't care who starts. I just want the best guy. But by no means is that even close to settled, despite how much some on here say it is. Conner at his best has been better than Reed at his best to this point, especially as a pure passer. Reed still needs to improve his passing, otherwise a healthy Conner should absolutely be considered
74AnimalA
AG
Yes, he did.
HOWEVER, Bowl Games (Not Involved in the Playoffs) are Wild Cards these days with ALL the Opt Outs, saving themselves for the Combine or the Portal.

You don't know what you are really playing against. His Prep was awesome. Interim Staff, the whole deal.
Got the Kool-Aid Ready, not drinking it YET!
alexandertheok
The good news is that weather conditions/sloppy field kept us focused on running the football and allowed the offensive line to have a nice performance. Despite Florida's struggles they still have talented players and wanted to win the game.
Onionman
jt16 said:

Ok State was ranked 91st last year in points allowed and 125th in yards allowed per game. In what world did they have a good defense??? You must be thinking of Ohio State. I couldn't take your response seriously after reading that.
Onionman
Agreed that CW can still be a big part of this team. I hope he gets healthy.

Besides, even if CW is QB2, the way A&M Qbs have gotten injured lately, he could still find himself playing alot.
Agsrback12
I remember games like "it's just Florida" where our QB stunk but their quarterback had a heisman day and all us pumpers claimed "Florida is the best 1-3 team on the nation" after.

Give that man his due
Wearetheaggies
AG
chrisag09 said:

Johnny's O-Lines were stacked when he was playing for A&M. No doubt he was a great QB, but the additional time he had behind those O-Lines helped him out.
antman8504
AG
Reed has started one game. In which, he looked great. He led the team and it was clear to anyone with eyes, he added to the offense and they were better due to his presence on the field.

Your argument for Connor is that he has only had 1 bad game? That's the bar Connor gets? Why? Because he was a highly rated recruit? Lol

Connor has been average to good (at times). But the offense never looked like it did with Reed against Flordia with Connor. Last time it looked like that was against miss st with Henderson. King, Johnson and Connor have been like watching Dak, inconsistent. Every good play, you have to hold on to HOPE that that version of them and the offense will stay. BUT it doesn't.

Our last 4 power 5 games without Connor, miss st, LSU, ok state and Florida have been some of our best offense performances.

Miami, Connor got lots of garbage time stats. The offense was struggling against Auburn before he got hurt (and then got better when Johnson came in) and then we saw the **** show against Norte Dame.

I still think Connor could be a solid QB, but he is not ready yet. Some people take more time to develop.

But why fight what we have all seen? The offense just does not look great with Connor in the game. He misses open receivers with his eyes or accuracy at critical times.
Tbrown1021
i am a fan of Weigman. But with Kleins offensive scheme Reed is the better fit. I sat endzone against ND so I got to watch a lot of plays from behind the offense. There were so many times that Weigman could have kept the ball instead of hand off and had tons of space to run as the defense was flowing towards the tailback. But that's not his game. If Reed is the qb in that game, I think we beat ND by 14 if not more. He just fits this scheme better.
LB12Diamond
AG
So you go from must win game last week to it was Florida this week.

I don't see the QB position being a dilemma at all. We are in a great place.
Bill Superman
AG
LB12Diamond said:

So you go from must win game last week to it was Florida this week.

I don't see the QB position being a dilemma at all. We are in a great place.
Yes, it was a struggling Florida team so it was a must win.

If you don't see a QB controversy brewing then you've been out of the loop.
RARay
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

I remember when Kenny Hill ran all over South Carolina and we had him suddenly elevated to Heisman candidate in our Kool Aid addled minds. Lets see how this kid does against some of our tougher opponents before overreacting again. Florida had a weak defense.
Kenny Hill should have REMAINED a Heisman candidate. His problem was being allowed to self-destruct without Johnny's ability to perform while doing so.
SilverTaps86
AG
To my eyes, Reed just looks like a better leader on the field, and on the sidelines. All of these kids can play ball… but what separates good from great is leadership CW is probably a better "pure" passer (when he isn't injured or has happy feet) but Reeds legs are elite and with a average o line..we need that threat. Just my 2 cents
LB12Diamond
AG
Nope

That was not the discussion last week on that thread. It was a must win bc of our team. Not Florida. We needed to show we could win on the road among other things. And we knocked it out of the park. We saw several things that have us excited for the season. It was not just that we won. It's how we played and how we won.

It was not just a must win bc it was Florida. If that were the case last week, the discussion would have been we are expecting to win. Not it's a must win. No one before the game knew what was going to take place.

Is this weeks game a must win. Nope. It's a game we are expecting to win so we are not saying it's a must win like we were last week.

LoneStarAg17
AG
Y'all do me a favor and watch this breakdown by one of the Florida's bloggers:

Florida is exceptionally bad. Poor play calling, poor tackling, poor alignment. All of these set up very very will for Marcel.

If Conner was healthy, we're probably talking about getting back on the Heisman train for him after playing that Florida defense.
LB12Diamond
AG
As far as the QB position.

Nope, not out of the loop at all. I just don't see a controversy. I see Klein wanting to go with Reed and I see Reed and Klein doing great things this season. Thus, no controversy.
NyAggie
AG
Bill Superman said:

I know the zoo has it all figured out and QB2 is always the answer, but let's take a step back and look at the full picture.

Reed may very well be the future and worthy of QB1, especially after showcasing an elite set of skills this past weekend. But let's not forget that Florida is the worst they've ever been. Their offense is floundering and defense has busted coverage after busted coverage.

On the other hand it was an SEC matchup in a hostile environment and Reed did exactly what a good QB needed to all things considered.

But an injured CW in the first game of the season in a new system against a top defense vs a healthy Reed against one of the worst SEC defenses is not a fair comparison.

I really like what I saw with Reed but am also not ready to just write off CW and kick him to the transfer portal. He has a lot is skills and we have seen more good games than bad games from him.

It will be interesting to see how Elko juggles this dilemma going forward. I don't want to see CW start again until he is at least 100% healthy. Until then, we get to really see what Reed is made of and maybe the decision becomes a little easier.

CW has not, at any point this season, looked an where near the qb he was last season

He played game 1 like he was deathly afraid of getting hurt again

I think the injury from last season is still in his head

Detmersdislocatedshoulder
i think both reed and CW have major upside potential and would agree you can't write CW off so quickly. BUT i do think reed is a better fit for klein's offense. CW may be a better pro prospect big picture but i like reeds skill set in this offense.
Onionman
I'm still not convinced CW was healthy in game 1. He looked far worse than I had ever seen him before.

I'm thinking once healthy, CW will look much better and the Offense is in a much better place because Reed already looked good.

Bill Superman
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Nope

That was not the discussion last week on that thread. It was a must win bc of our team. Not Florida. We needed to show we could win on the road among other things. And we knocked it out of the park. We saw several things that have us excited for the season. It was not just that we won. It's how we played and how we won.

It was not just a must win bc it was Florida. If that were the case last week, the discussion would have been we are expecting to win. Not it's a must win. No one before the game knew what was going to take place.

Is this weeks game a must win. Nope. It's a game we are expecting to win so we are not saying it's a must win like we were last week.

Calm down dude, there is no argument here. Last week was a must win or the season would've become unwatchable and we likely wouldn't be good enough to even make bowl eligibility.
Bill Superman
AG
NyAggie said:

Bill Superman said:

CW has not, at any point this season, looked an where near the qb he was last season

He played game 1 like he was deathly afraid of getting hurt again

I think the injury from last season is still in his head

I agree. But if it's just a head case then he can overcome that. He has to overcome the injury first though.
LB12Diamond
AG
OK

Just title the thread properly next time.

Bill Superman defending Conner for being QB1.
Heineken-Ashi
The stats are rather meaningless last week. Bad weather along with a talented but poorly coached defense. What stood out to me was all about the "feels". And yes, you can't purely make decisions about feels. But Reed felt in COMPLETE control the whole game. He never seemed rattled or panicked. His movement in the pocket, ability to sense pressure, ability to scramble and both make plays with his arm and legs, and his accuracy downfield, his ability to hit players in stride over the middle.. all together was something I haven't seen from an A&M QB in a very long time against ANY opponent. The ability to throw downfield on the run under pressure was the thing that stuck out the most. Opponent doesn't really matter for that frankly. You either have the ability to extend plays and make positive things happen or you don't. What I saw felt potentially dynamic. And very few teams get to have that feeling when watching a QB.

My stance is that what I saw "felt" so much better and different than the QB trajectory that we've been on for a decade that you absolutely have to explore it more to see if it can be maintained or even get better.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Noctilucent
AG
I'm with Antman, the offense was better with Reed in at QB. We can only speculate how CW would've done against a poor Florida defense, but he hasn't looked comfortable in this offense to say the least. Yeah, yeah, I know ND's defense is a lot better, but somebody already pointed out had Reed been in during that game he could've rushed for quite a few yards and perhaps changed the whole dynamic of the game, especially at Kyle.

The clock's ticking. Elko has to choose one QB or the other to get the reps necessary to beat Bowling Green, then to face Arkansas and Mizzou. Reed has looked better so far, and the inclination would be to go with him. If CW is still injured, easy decision. If CW is healthy, whadda ya do?
Bill Superman
AG
LB12Diamond said:

OK

Just title the thread properly next time.

Bill Superman defending Conner for being QB1.
You can't read and it's clearly that time of the month for you.
Logos Stick
LoneStarAg17 said:

Y'all do me a favor and watch this breakdown by one of the Florida's bloggers:

Florida is exceptionally bad. Poor play calling, poor tackling, poor alignment. All of these set up very very will for Marcel.

If Conner was healthy, we're probably talking about getting back on the Heisman train for him after playing that Florida defense.

LOL, I watched his analysis of the first play. The guy is ******ed. Talked about the FL defenders taking bad angles when Reed simply juked the hell out of them. It wasn't a bad play on the FL defender's part, it was great run on Reed's part. It was also not a designed run. Reed simply saw his first option covered and took off.

Get out with that nonsense!
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.