Story Poster
Texas A&M Football Recruiting

Recruiting Country: The latest recruiting news surrounding the Maroon & White

September 18, 2024

TexAgs' recruiting analyst Ryan Brauninger joined TexAgs Live on Wednesday morning for another edition of Recruiting Country, highlighting the latest news and notes from the recruiting trail surrounding Texas A&M.

Key notes from Recruiting Country

• Helaman Casuga‍, 2026 QB, is the teammate of Jerome Myles‍, 2025 WR, who A&M is still after... Myles is supposed to commit today, and I don't think to Texas A&M. I expect it to be USC. Don’t freak out today if it is.

• Why they have a foot wedged in the door with Myles is because of how well they are doing with Casuga, who has announced a commitment date of October 8. He is one of the top 2026 QBs in the country. Very similar to Husan Longstreet‍. Casuga has been hand-picked by Collin Klein as his guy in the 2026 class. If A&M is able to close this out, you have to like Klein’s hit rate. We have heard A&M is doing a fantastic job.

• A&M is continuing to comb through the state of Texas and nationally. They are still evaluating early season tape. You have to start taking into account what is going on with programs that are struggling. The kids committed to Florida with all the smoke around Billy Napier’s job... Florida State is off to an awful start. Jason Howell has mentioned the name Daylan McCutcheon‍, who is committed to FSU. 

• I don't think they will cast this wide net at any position remaining in the 2025 class. You need, probably, one more receiver, but you won’t take a body just to take a body. You can get one in the portal. It's hard to pin down the number of scholarship guys that will be in the class. December to February was a mad scramble.

• 2026 is where I think we will get the best idea of how they want to do it moving forward. They will obviously hold scholarships every year for the portal. You would be a fool not to. The amount? We will get a much cleaner picture of how many they would like to hold in the 2026 class rather than the 2025 class.

• Anything opposing coaches can nitpick and negatively recruit you on... They will do it. You saw more of those air raid principles against McNeese State whenever you had a quarterback like Conner Weigman. When you go to the heavy ground game at Florida, you had receivers open. Stephen McGee highlighted it in his Film Room. There were plays where Marcel Reed threw incompletions or to a check-down when there were guys wide open. I was encouraged by Collin Klein has schemed these guys open. How many times have we seen that in the last couple of years? 

• How many guys got the football? They distributed the ball well. Seven guys ran the ball. Eight had receptions. Those are numbers you can point to in recruiting and say, “Everybody is touching the football.”

• There is so much talent in the state of Texas. There are not enough schools in the state to take that many quality running backs. Some will go out of state. What happens when they get homesick or don't like their situation?

• Florida commit Chad Gasper‍ came in for the McNeese game. If A&M offers, it becomes real for Chad. I think A&M is perfectly happy with taking one back in Deondrae Riden‍, who has been awesome. Gasper has just not been healthy. I am going to see Katy Jordan tomorrow night. That’s where Gasper plays along with Andrew Marsh‍, who is committed to Michigan. Jimmy-Phrisco Alo-Suliafu‍ has an offer from A&M. They are playing Mayde Creek. Tobi Haastrup‍ is one of the fastest-rising senior evals I can remember as my time as a recruiting analyst.

• This will be the first time I think we will see A&M coaches on the road this week at the high school game starting tomorrow. Got to look at a game like Richmond Randle, who has Chace Sims‍ and Landen Williams-Callis‍, vs. Fort Bend Marshall, who has JaKayden Ferguson‍ and Isaiah Williams‍. I’m sure somebody will go up to Dallas.

• Tomorrow, I will be at Katy Mayde Creek vs. Katy Jordan. On Friday, A&M Consolidated vs. College Station High School. From what I understand, the tickets have been sold out. Colton Chmelar‍, who is committed to A&M to kick, has been out with a quad deal. So we’ll see. 

• I have not heard of Jonah Williams‍ visiting Texas A&M. He seems to be locked in from what I can understand. A&M moved quickly after that. A&M thought enough of Rashad Johnson‍ to get him when they had a safety spot open. They are still in conversations with Trey McNutt III‍.

• I doubt A&M will take another running back. Tiger Riden is an Isaiah Spiller type who can do everything but bigger.
Discussion from...

Recruiting Country: The latest recruiting news surrounding the Maroon & White

6,612 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by Ag1188
Hill08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So same ole story AND Marcel missed wide open WR's. Ugh
TAMU74
AG
Thanks for the update
dcg4403
AG
Marcel complaint? Not sure how this is relevant or even important to state for his 1st SEC game EVER to play in any significant manner.

If it is relevant then why isnt Weigman's showing against ND far more influencial?

Sorry think Marcel comment should have been avoided.

Summary is.....no big news. This team just needs to keep winning and more great recruiting news is coming.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
dcg4403 said:

Marcel complaint? Not sure how this is relevant or even important to state for his 1st SEC game EVER to play in any significant manner.

If it is relevant then why isnt Weigman's showing against ND far more influencial?

Sorry think Marcel comment should have been avoided.

Summary is.....no big news. This team just needs to keep winning and more great recruiting news is coming.

Yeah, it's weird.

"Marcel missed open WRs"

Meanwhile, last week we got to see a run of the mill out route praised for Conner.
Mule
AG
Passing offense ranking will have to improve to attract the WR talent.
Texas Aggies
Ag1188
AG
Quote:

I have not heard of Jonah Williams visiting Texas A&M. He seems to be locked in from what I can understand. A&M moved quickly after that. A&M thought enough of Rashad Johnson to get him when they had a safety spot open. They are still in conversations with Trey McNutt III.
Our safety commit is not remotely a replicable replacement for losing out on Williams or McNutt. Of course with the portal though, who really cares as long as we'll recruit the portal hard for all-conference players across the map.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.