************* Houston Rockets 22-23 Season thread *************

111,239 Views | 1176 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Max Power
Ags #1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dont tell guitarsoup
Guitarsoup
AG
StillNotAnAggie
WTF is this?
https://instagr.am/p/CpJtRtsNGJ7
Ags #1
AG
Its traveling??
Guitarsoup
AG
Do yall even want that ****waffle back?

https://theathletic.com/4261804/2023/03/01/james-harden-houston-rockets-nba-free-agency/

Quote:

Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta, whose unabashed love of all things Harden was no secret during their three and a half years contending for titles together, had a message to share with his soon-to-be former franchise centerpiece on his way out the door.

"You're always welcome back here," he told him in so many words during a goodbye phone call between the two.

But more than two years later, with Harden focused on his championship pursuits with the Philadelphia 76ers these days and the speculation over what he'll do in free agency already in full swing, the more important part about that final Rockets conversation was what came next. Harden, sources with knowledge of the situation say, made it abundantly clear the feeling was mutual. There were no promises made that day on either side but everyone who was part of those final Harden days in Houston knew there were strong indications he'd be back, specifically, in the summer of 2023.

It would be funny to see Philly trade Ben Simmons, Seth Curry and two firsts for a year and a half of Harden.
GigEmMortis
AG
Spurs are better at tanking than we are
Wrec86 Ag
I won't pretend to be a serious basketball fan. I know the stars of the league and I'll check in on the Rockets from time to time, but I'm a fair-weather fan for sure.

That being said, I checked the box score of this weekend's game and realized that I don't know a single player on the Spurs. They all sound like made up names.
Ags #1
AG
They are in full tank made like ourselves. With their luck they will get the #1 pick and we get stuck at 2 or 3 and have to face wayba for the next 15 years
Guitarsoup
AG
Rockets are still up 1 in the win column in the great Tankathon along with Detroit. Spurs are third.

The worst three teams all have the same odds at 1-4th picks but the odds on getting 5-7 changes.

The lottery is only for top 4 picks. Once those are decided, teams get their pick based on order of finish.

So if the Rockets finished 2nd and neither Houston or Detroit landed a top 4 pick, Houston would land the 6th pick (20% chance)

Worst three teams all have a 52% chance of a top 4 pick.
14% at #1
13.4% at #2
12.7% at #3
12% at #4

If the Spurs/Rockets tie, they split pingpong balls evenly then basically coin flip for who gets what seed. Then in 2nd round, those seeds are reversed.

So if Rockets get #2 spot, Spurs get #2 in the second round.
Wrec86 Ag
I know there's a clear 1.1 everyone is hoping for, but how do the 2-6 prospects look?
HotardRat
AG
Scoot Henderson is awesome
Guitarsoup
AG
I think Scoot Henderson will have a better career than Wemby. Ja Morant 2.0.

Very strong/deep draft.

The consensus #3 player was Brandon Miller, but after he was involved in that murder, his stock make have taken a hit.

Twins Amen and Ausar Thompson will both probably be good. Amen is more of a point or combo and Ausar is more of a wing

Jarace Walker is a favorite of a lot of people, especially if his shot develops, solid rebounder/run protector at PF and shooting respectable .479/.358

Anthony Black had moved up some, considered PG/Combo, but very good defender and tall/long but shooting needs some work.

It's a good year to have a good pick
shano0603
AG
Ags #1 said:

They are in full tank made like ourselves. With their like they will get the #1 pick and we get stuck at 2 or 3 and have to face wayba for the next 15 years

The odds for the picks don't change between 1st and 2nd worst record. Worst record is guaranteed a top 5 pick and 2nd worst is guaranteed a top 6 pick.

That being said. I've felt like the draft has been rigged forever. And it wouldn't surprise me if it was still the same way.
Guitarsoup
AG
shano0603 said:

Ags #1 said:

They are in full tank made like ourselves. With their like they will get the #1 pick and we get stuck at 2 or 3 and have to face wayba for the next 15 years

The odds for the picks don't change between 1st and 2nd worst record. Worst record is guaranteed a top 5 pick and 2nd worst is guaranteed a top 6 pick.

That being said. I've felt like the draft has been rigged forever. And it wouldn't surprise me if it was still the same way.

If it is rigged, that's great for Houston.

Detroit
SA
Charlotte
Orlando
Indiana
OKC
Utah
New Orleans
Portland

All much smaller than Houston's market and Houston probably still had lots of Chinese Yao fans
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Last minute longshot. Anyone want two tickets to the game tonight? Playing Brooklyn. Club section 120. Need them to get used and not resold. Work seats.
StillNotAnAggie
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Last minute longshot. Anyone want two tickets to the game tonight? Playing Brooklyn. Club section 120. Need them to get used and not resold. Work seats.

Damn. I saw this too late. I would have taken you up on these. Nice offer.
Harry Dunne
Generous offer and I wish I had seen this. I ended up buying tickets.

Here's my analysis based on the only full game this season I have watched:

Normally if I told you that a 22 y/o in his 4th year in the league was averaging 18.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg & 5.7 apg you'd say he's destined to be a star, right?

KPJ is so talented but at the same time he's extremely limited in certain areas and I think it's going to take a better coach and a better system to get the most out of him. I'm super high on Sengun, but they suck out there together. KPJ has no feel on the pick & roll and has zero concept of how to score within the flow of an offense. KPJ's spot up shooting and Sengun's great passing on paper also seem like they'd be a good fit but it's just not there.

Combined with his history of immaturity, you can understand now where Cleveland was at when they basically gave him away. I think you've got to sell high to whoever out there still believes he can be the next James Harden.
The Porkchop Express
AG
GigEmMortis said:

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Guitarsoup
AG
GigEmMortis said:

Learned from the OG

CFTXAG10
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

GigEmMortis said:

This handshake makes me uncomfortable
Guitarsoup
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

GigEmMortis said:

Much like Rockets fans claiming the Spurs tanked 1997 despite all evidence to the contrary, David Stern would not let go.
Harry Dunne
What's the last time any major sports league had a commissioner that wasn't cringy.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I still think David Stern is the GOAT commish. Obviously wasn't perfect, but that guy didn't give AF.
Guitarsoup
AG

I still think David Stern is the GOAT commish. Obviously wasn't perfect, but that guy didn't give AF.

100%. The Finals were on tape delay when I was a kid.

He changed the focus to the superstars (Magic, Bird, Jordan) and got Nike involved.

He got the Olympics to allow NBA players, bringing in the Dream Team.

He wasn't perfect, but he is the GOAT commissioner across all sports
The Porkchop Express
AG
Guitarsoup said:

CFTXAG10 said:

GigEmMortis said:

Much like Rockets fans claiming the Spurs tanked 1997 despite all evidence to the contrary, David Stern would not let go.
It is hilarious how quickly you have to jump in and present the counter argument. It's like Pavlov's dog.
Guitarsoup
AG
I still hold out that Stern completely screwed the Rockets and Hornets.

Vetoed trade:
Rockets got Pau Gasol

Gasol was 31 and put up 17/10/4 that year and had 5 more All-Star-quality years

Hornets get:
Lamar Odom - in hindsight,he was done. But previous year he put up 14/9/3
Kevin Martin - 28yo. Over next 4 seasons, put up 17ppg on 43%/39% shooting
Scola- 31yo - tail end of his career. Put up 16/7 and 13/7 next two years. Then four seasons as a 8/4 6th man
Goran Dragic - 25yo coming into prime. Put up 16/6/4 over next nine seasons.
1st rd pick

Instead, NOLA got:
Chris Kaman, ending contract, left in free agency. One season at 13/8
Eric Gordon, who was hurt AND didn't want to go to NOLA. He was the prime piece and he sat and pouted. He put up just 15/3/2 over 5 seasons in New Orleans and Lefty in free agency
Al-Farouq Aminu, who was just a body. 7/6 in three seasons
1st Rounder, #10- Austin Rivers.

Dragic, Odom, Martin, Scola to go with Jarrett Jack, Trevor Arizona, Marco Belli, Carl Landry and Emeka Okefor would be a much better team

Harry Dunne
Guitarsoup said:

I
Dragic, Odom, Martin, Scola to go with Jarrett Jack, Trevor Arizona, Marco Belli, Carl Landry and Emeka Okefor would be a much better team

Harry Dunne

Oh he was a great commissioner, I fully agree…But he's got a creepy vibe to him.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Well it only took Jabari Smith 4 months to start playing like a top 3 draft pick
Harry Dunne
You are tanking correctly when Daishen Nix gets the start.

He's AWFUL.
superaggie73
AG
Harry Dunne said:

He's AWFUL.

He is basically why we lost tonight. Perfect job of tanking.
GigEmMortis
AG
superaggie73 said:

Harry Dunne said:

He's AWFUL.

Much like when Silas mysteriously subbed him in against Miami on the last defensive possession and he absolutely loses his defender and they get the alley oop layup with 0.3 seconds left.

He's the perfect player on a tanking team, but damn he is so bad
WES2006AG
AG
GigEmMortis said:

superaggie73 said:

Harry Dunne said:

He's AWFUL.

Much like when Silas mysteriously subbed him in against Miami on the last defensive possession and he absolutely loses his defender and they get the alley oop layup with 0.3 seconds left.

Should have let Silas coach the last game of the season for the Texans.
GigEmMortis
AG
WES2006AG said:

GigEmMortis said:

superaggie73 said:

Harry Dunne said:

He's AWFUL.

Should have let Silas coach the last game of the season for the Texans.

True story
3B Paul 97

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.