RIP Bill Walton - gone too soon at 71 (FU Cancer)

1,737 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Head Ninja In Charge
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40229031/nba-champion-hall-famer-bill-walton-dies-71

Two-time NBA champion and Hall of Famer Bill Walton has died of cancer at the age of 71, the NBA announced Monday.
"Bill Walton was truly one of a kind," NBA commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement. "As a Hall of Fame player, he redefined the center position. His unique all-around skills made him a dominant force at UCLA and led to an NBA regular-season and Finals MVP, two NBA championships and a spot on the NBA's 50th and 75th Anniversary Teams.
"Bill then translated his infectious enthusiasm and love for the game to broadcasting, where he delivered insightful and colorful commentary which entertained generations of basketball fans. But what I will remember most about him was his zest for life. He was a regular presence at league events - always upbeat, smiling ear to ear and looking to share his wisdom and warmth. I treasured our close friendship, envied his boundless energy and admired the time he took with every person he encountered."

Came to post this and will miss his insight combined with ramblings on various topics nothing to do with basketball
I actually enjoyed those

i ****ing hate cancer
AgPediRPh
AG
As a lifelong Spurs fan, I liked how Walton would give props to San Antonio when playing flashier teams like the Lakers, Knicks or Heat. Plus he was just a huge fan of the game.

RIP
The Porkchop Express
AG
Even though this memory is probably 25-30 years old, a friend and I always talk about once when the Rockets were on, can't remember playing here, and the ball bounced right at Marv Albert, Steve "Snapper" Jones, and Walton. Walton snagged it while saying on live TV "Get out of here, Steve Jones, you've never got got meaningful rebound in your entire life!!"
94chem
I was on the park shuttle bus in Yosemite in 1985, and there was a tall red-headed man traveling by himself. He got off the bus and was heading off in the woods alone, and I mustered my 13 YO courage and shouted "Walton." He turned and smiled. I know, cool story. I bought his autobiography for my dad several years ago. He said it was a great read, an inspiring story about a strange man who overcame a lot.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Aggiemike96
AG
"Throw it down big man. Throw it down!"

Heard that from him many times on NBA telecasts. RIP Bill.
birdman
Great announcer, great guy and phenomenal player.

From his time at UCLA to final seasons with Celtics, he was best passer on the court. Not the best passing big man. He was the best passer period. Better than Bird or DJ. Better than whoever the other team had at point guard.
Muy
AG
Great announcer and very cerebral ball player and man. Way too early!
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Bill Walton was an elite player, an excellent announcer, and great man. RIP Bill Walton!
GrapevineAg
AG
I remember watching the '77 NBA finals and rooting for the Blazers (couldn't root for a team from Philly). He was definitely a man who lived his own life and brought joy to many, I didn't care for his "conference of champions" schtick and some of his views, but he seemed like a genuinely good person. RIP
dixichkn
AG
Age 71. Lot of life left to live. Same disease took my dad at 73 and I worry about it a lot.

F cancer indeed.

RIP big man
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Top 5 Coolest Dudes in NBA History

1. Julius Erving
3. Allen Iverson
3. Bill Walton
4. Boban Marjanovi
5. Walt Frazier
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.