Gene Peterson died today

1,022 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 2wealfth Man
halfastros81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Classic imo. Rockets play by play radio guy for 33 yrs +. Guy could talk real fast and non stop and coined the names for many different shots - dipsy do's, rat-a-tats, and I believe coined the "dream shake" moniker for Hakeem's classic low post move.

My favorite hoops play by play man of all time . One of a kind imo. Once you learned his lingo he was fun to
Listen to.

NBA lost me years ago and I'm not sure if I've ever posted on this board but wanted to see if anyone else liked the guy's style as much as I did .
zooguy96
AG
Used to listen to Rocket's broadcasts every time they played. He really was great about describing the game in great detail.

RIP.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
AG@RICE
AG
Gene was the best. It doesn't matter how long ago or how many radio guys we've had, he will always be the voice of the Rockets to me. So many great calls and one liners come to mind, but my favorite was always "a jumbo jet to go".
superaggie73
AG
He was a great one. Probably my favorite play by play guy in any sport. Some one liners I remember as a kid for his passive aggressive shots at refs (and I'm probably misremembering, but it's how I recollect them):

"Hakeem in the post…hacked, no call…hacked, no call again…fade away…miss"

"Ewing gets the pass…1,2,3,4 steps…layup good"

I can still hear those lines today in his unique cadence and always makes me smile.
knoxtom
Reid to Olajuwon on the left post

Hakeem... stillwiththeball, stillwiththeball, stillwiththeball... Pivot.. off, rebound Malone
2wealfth Man
AG
Slick Watts to Bobby Jo Reid!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.