***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,351,307 Views | 60916 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by Prosperdick
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like the opener idea.

I can't believe y'all are choosing Ort over JV. You old guys most of all should know that experience counts for something. Ort doesn't even have 30 TOTAL decent MLB relief appearances on his resume.
Mathguy64
AG
JV has never come in as a reliever in his live. I don't think he can get hot in 2-3 minutes like a reliever can. And I don't want test that concept in a game that matters.
Chrundle the Great
AG
RED AG 98 said:

3 innings of great JV with good location and swing and miss. Was trouble from there.

Call me naive, but I still think that followed by 4-6 from Blanco in the playoffs would be valuable.

Same routine for JV, but functionally a bullpen # of innings.

If you max pitching only one pitcher is getting cut from the active roster. I'd rather the above situation than have Ferguson. 12 pitchers and it's between one of Ort/King vs JV, I still think I'd pick JV. Even in the wild card, what if game 2 goes 18 innings? I'd feel better using brown/spaghetti/blanco to force a game 3 knowing I can start JV instead of Ferguson in a critical 14th.
DrZ
AG
In 2017 playoffs against Boston in game 4 he came in as relief for 2.2 innings. This game won the series. We went on to defeat NY next. Granted its only once but he has come out of pen before.
Prosperdick
AG
Mathguy64 said:

JV has never come in as a reliever in his live. I don't think he can get hot in 2-3 minutes like a reliever can. And I don't want test that concept in a game that matters.
Yeah if you've ever been to a game where JV starts he does a LOT of long toss beforehand and I think bringing him in relief is not only a bad idea but also a way to cause an injury, and at this point of his career the next injury will probably be his last.
Booma94
AG
Dumb question here- I got a Gallagher Club pass to tonights game. Is that a game ticket (it's in the Ballpark app) or do I need to buy a game ticket to get in the stadium?
Harry Dunne
Sorry, but I'm not that worried about the future of his career and I don't think he is either.

Again, CFM and Lance had never pitched in relief either.

I do like the starter idea better. Let him go three innings. I'm not that confident our inexperienced guys are going to make it much longer than that anyway.

But GTFO to those of you saying Ort is a better choice. I don't think anyone is wrong with their JV takes as far as where he's at performance-wise, but Ort is a journeyman in the true sense of the word.

I'll take JV NEXT fall after a year of nothing but sipping whiskey on the yacht and "cuddling" with Kate. I'll take him rusty & straight off the couch over effing Ort.
fairviewcrew
Gallagher club will be your ticket. You will not need another
Prosperdick
AG
To be honest I'm still not comfortable with all the JV talk because until we clinch it doesn't mean crap.

Our offense has looked anemic before last night's outburst (thankfully no 10 run curse) and we all know the rangerettes are going to let the seamen sweep so I'm still nervous about us even making it.

What's ironic is I'm actually glad Seattle finishes the season against the A's as they are playing loose and really well right now. We might have to depend on some help from them if we can't close Seattle out in our series.
JPN06
DrZ said:

In 2017 playoffs against Boston in game 4 he came in as relief for 2.2 innings. This game won the series. We went on to defeat NY next. Granted its only once but he has come out of pen before.
THIS.

Role doesn't matter. Is he currently a better pitcher than anyone else on that playoff roster? That's all that matters.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Sorry, but I'm not that worried about the future of his career and I don't think he is either.

Again, CFM and Lance had never pitched in relief either.

I do like the starter idea better. Let him go three innings. I'm not that confident our inexperienced guys are going to make it much longer than that anyway.

But GTFO to those of you saying Ort is a better choice. I don't think anyone is wrong with their JV takes as far as where he's at performance-wise, but Ort is a journeyman in the true sense of the word.

I'll take JV NEXT fall after a year of nothing but sipping whiskey on the yacht and "cuddling" with Kate. I'll take him rusty & straight off the couch over effing Ort.

There is a critical flaw in your comparison of LMJ and CFM to JV. Both LMJ and CFM were performing well when the season ended. JV is not. He's not going to find the fountain of youth coming out of the bullpen. I keep saying this, but putting him in the bullpen is the Robbie Ray scenario.
All I do is Nguyen
Gotta hand it to the white Sox, they're coming up with creative ways to say they lost

No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
07ag
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Do they sell the Los Astros jerseys at the team store? Wish they sold them online

I saw them available in the store last night.

Also, for anyone interested, space city jerseys are $50 now and space city hats $10. Most players had availability in all sizes
https://ts.la/eric59704
Harry Dunne
I'm not making that comparison. I'm only comparing the roles.

The only performance comparison I'm making is between current JV and current Ort. I'm answering farmers question who would you rather have pitching the 5th inning of a big game?
BadAggie
AG
KUCHI
KUCHI
KUCHI
KUCHI
KUCHI
KUCHI
KUCHI
KUCHI
KUCHI

gambochaman said:

Adorbs
Marvin
AG
Harry Dunne said:

You old guys most of all should know that experience counts for something.

"Back of the baseball card"
/dana
All I do is Nguyen
Marvin said:

Harry Dunne said:

You old guys most of all should know that experience counts for something.

"Back of the baseball card"
/dana
I love how every year we get a quote from someone in the organization that we just keep repeating. "That's just fan stuff" "Check the back of the baseball card" and so on
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Farmer1906
AG
JPN06 said:

DrZ said:

THIS.

Role doesn't matter. Is he currently a better pitcher than anyone else on that playoff roster? That's all that matters.

Roles do matter. Experience getting loose, coming in without the normal routine for the week, not knowing when your number will be called. If you ask JV is that stuff matters I would bet my watches, he'd say yes.

Obviously, that's isn't the only thing that matters. Being able to get swings and miss, strikes outs, and not give up the long ball is extremely important in October. JV was one of the best ever at the first too. Not so much anymore.

Finally, I present without comment. One is JV. One is Ort.

Booma94
AG
fairviewcrew said:

Perfect. Thanks for the reply.
W
AG
going back to the Tigers and Skubal...

it's highly unlikely Detroit can clinch the last wildcard before the final weekend of the season

so Skubal may have to pitch game 161 or 162 to get the Tigers in

and thus he would not be available for game 1 and possibly game 2
JPN06
A HOF career and a career's worth of postseason pitching vs a journeyman who has barely a blip of above average MLB performance matters more.
htxag09
AG
fairviewcrew said:

Are you sure?

I think Gallagher club has two different kinds of passes. You can get actual tickets with seats, or just a pass into Gallagher club. It's my understanding that if you have the pass, no seat, you still need a ticket. But could be wrong.
W
AG
blame the former players cabal

they love, love, love the old guys...regardless of skill deterioration
Farmer1906
AG
JPN06 said:

A HOF career and a career's worth of postseason pitching vs a journeyman who has barely a blip of above average MLB performance matters more.

This would be like comparing Jose Abreu to Jon Singleton. All the past success of Jose and past failures of Singleton were basically meaningless in who was better in 2-0-2-4.
Booma94
AG
htxag09 said:

fairviewcrew said:

Are you sure?

I think Gallagher club has two different kinds of passes. You can get actual tickets with seats, or just a pass into Gallagher club. It's my understanding that if you have the pass, no seat, you still need a ticket. But could be wrong.
That's what I understood, which is why I asked. Now I'm confused again. And of course the Astros website is literally no help.

EDIT- finally heard back from my buddy and I will need a game ticket. Anyone have a single ticket they'd sell?
Quo Vadis?
JPN06 said:

To be honest Ort is destined for a massive reversion to the mean. He's giving up a HR every three innings, and has an FIP of 5.5. He's done a great job not walking anyone, but 9 of the 15 hits he's given up are extra bases

txags92
AG
As was said above, bringing a guy like JV, who has a long warmup and prep routine into the bullpen, where he is going to have to warmup quickly and won't know he will pitch until a few minutes before going in is a recipe for getting him injured. He was already saying he thought he came back too quickly from his current injury. If he has plans in his mind to pitch next year, I would be surprised if he was enthusiastic about coming out of the pen with short warmups while still coming back from a prior injury. He is a team guy and will do what they ask and what he can to help the team, but if you asked him candidly, I suspect he would rather start or be left off the roster, especially when it comes to protecting his health if he plans to pitch next year.
Mathguy64
AG
John Smoltz taught himself how to do this after his TJ. Obviously Dennis Eckersly transitioned from SP to RP. And like of journeymen swing both ways.

I just don't see JV being able to do that at this stage of the season.

Let him start if you want but be prepared for it to go Kaboom. I would let him start and go 2-3 but make it clear that's all we need. Let him empty his tank for 3 innings. Maybe that would increase his velo a bit.
Farmer1906
AG
Quo Vadis? said:

JPN06 said:

To be honest Ort is destined for a massive reversion to the mean. He's giving up a HR every three innings, and has an FIP of 5.5. He's done a great job not walking anyone, but 9 of the 15 hits he's given up are extra bases

Not so sure I agree. He's been slightly unlucky with actual HR vs expected. xFIP being lower shows "unlucky" HR rate since it looks more at HR rate per fly ball. Then you get into xERA which looks at all his batted ball traits plus K & BB and it gets even lower than xFIP.

I think a lot of team would kill for someone of Ort's quality as their 5th or 6th best reliever.
MaxPower
Am I the only one who thinks kuchi is a higher priority free agent than Bregman?
superaggie73
AG
MaxPower said:

Am I the only one who thinks kuchi is a higher priority free agent than Bregman?

You are not…I agree completely with you
Mathguy64
AG
MaxPower said:

Kikuchi will cost $$. We have Garcia, Javier and Urquidy coming back. Note I'm not including LMJ. But that's 3 guys coming back. And they won't cost money.
TRM
AG
I doubt Javier and Urquidy will be available next year.
MaxPower
Can never have too much pitching and if they all somehow come back then pitching is also the easiest thing you can do trade because everyone else needs more.
TRM
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I like JV as 3-4 inning opener over carrying Ort or Ferguson, provided he doesn't implode that 1st time through the lineup. Pair him up with Blanco to eat the innings until we get Abreu, Press, or Hader.
First Page
Page 1740 of 1741

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.