***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,353,022 Views | 60922 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Beat40
JPN06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

JPN06 said:

A HOF career and a career's worth of postseason pitching vs a journeyman who has barely a blip of above average MLB performance matters more.

This would be like comparing Jose Abreu to Jon Singleton. All the past success of Jose and past failures of Singleton were basically meaningless in who was better in 2-0-2-4.
No, it would be like comparing 2005 Jeff Bagwell sputtering to the end of his career to Jon Singleton.

I don't care if his shoulder is falling off. I want Bagwell as a pinch hitter in that situation. And he deserves the opportunity.
texasaggie2015
AG
Kikuchi has been vocal throughout his career about how money is not a big thing for him and he wants to be somewhere where he's comfortable and can win games.

He's very happy in Houston by all accounts.
Farmer1906
AG
JPN06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

JPN06 said:

A HOF career and a career's worth of postseason pitching vs a journeyman who has barely a blip of above average MLB performance matters more.

This would be like comparing Jose Abreu to Jon Singleton. All the past success of Jose and past failures of Singleton were basically meaningless in who was better in 2-0-2-4.
No, it would be like comparing 2005 Jeff Bagwell sputtering to the end of his career to Jon Singleton.

I don't care if his shoulder is falling off. I want Bagwell as a pinch hitter in that situation. And he deserves the opportunity.

I guess we just see things differently. I want whoever gives us the best shot to win.
texasaggie2015
AG
If JV is on the postseason roster, it's because Jim Crane either has no backbone or values his relationship with JV over championships.

There's no scenario where having him on your roster right now puts your team in the best position to win a championship.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Kikuchi has been vocal throughout his career about how money is not a big thing for him and he wants to be somewhere where he's comfortable and can win games.

He might want to switch agents then... Isn't he repped by Boras?
tjack16
AG
So besides reaching his most innings pitched… why are we so hesitant on here of saying Blanco should start game 4 of a series?

He's rocking a 2.88 ERA after a full season and has still been really good.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

If JV is on the postseason roster, it's because Jim Crane either has no backbone or values his relationship with JV over championships.

There's no scenario where having him on your roster right now puts your team in the best position to win a championship.

To me it sounds like he's kind of accepted his fate. I would hope Him would not insert himself to this level, but who knows.
JPN06
We of course agree on that principle. We disagree on who gives us the best shot.

You may be right! At my core I'm really more of a Dusty "gut feeling" guy. i played at a pretty decent level and value experience maybe more than I should. Take all that away though and the last guy on the bench isn't probably going to play anyway and I think JV deserves that spot just out of respect.
07ag
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

texasaggie2015 said:

He might want to switch agents then... Isn't he repped by Boras?

Boras has a reputation for getting max value for a player, but yusei is still the boss. He can tell boras to get max value from Houston and that's what he has to do then
https://ts.la/eric59704
Farmer1906
AG
Fair
nbbob
EastCoastAgNc said:

texasaggie2015 said:

To me it sounds like he's kind of accepted his fate. I would hope Him would not insert himself to this level, but who knows.

I agree with you. He's a professional and he knows he hasn't produced, even if it's because of the injury.
OPAG
AG
Don't post much but follow almost always.

My take on JV is this:

1. It won't be Ort that he knocks off, it will be King IMHO or possibly Ferguson. I think King.

I know Ferguson is the new punching boy here, but after the first few poor outings, he has been pretty solid except the last one. All our guys have had bad outings.

When Ort is on he is almost unhittable, It is consistency with him. Dynamic stuff.

2. Last night JV was rolling through the first 2 and struggled a little in the 3rd but got through it OK. The 4ht and 5th is where he came unglued. HOWEVER ....

I had thought that "How is JV going to be after our prolonged 3rd inning!?" Will he tighten up? He was on the bench along time in both the 3rd and 4th innings, I wonder how he would of been if those were shorter innings at bat. (Not that I am unhappy about the prolonged at bats) but I did wonder if it might have an impact on JV.

I think it did. I was not surprise he struggled in the 4th because of the long layover from our third.

3. The question is we have like 10 days or so before a decision has to be made. That is at least one more start by JV, He did show improvement this last outing. FB hit 95 once and 94 fairly often. That is improvement, but a extended times on the bench between innnings is not going be a good things for an old JV, for sure!
"only one thing is important!"
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Fudge.
AgSportsFan89
AG
Sucks to lose Scott at this point. Makes the pickup of Neris even bigger
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Of course they did
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Of course they did
Wouldn't have mattered either way, they're going to roll over regardless. We just need to continue winning and eventually Seattle will run out of runway.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs
AG
Caratini with another start at 1B.
gambochaman
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Severed spine
Hornbeck
AG
He'll be pitching in the ParaOlympics in 4 years.
houag78
AG
Would love to see Yordan break out of his slump today. Need him to be on a roll when playoffs start.
Beat40
Prosperdick said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Of course they did
Wouldn't have mattered either way, they're going to roll over regardless. We just need to continue winning and eventually Seattle will run out of runway.

Scherzer at least has some self respect to pitch well.
First Page Refresh
Page 1741 of 1741

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.