Southwest floating idea of dropping free bags

4,438 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by Bayou City
Four Seasons Landscaping
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Southwest Airlines Polls Customers on Changing Free Bag Policy

I bet they miraculously find out "80%" of customers don't like free bags either.

They're on the fast track to becoming Spirit.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
WTF !!

Way to go Aggie CEO, you're an idi…….. not smart
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
It's the last remaining thing that makes them distinctive. Seems like a bad call to me.
eiggA2002
AG
Who are the "customers" they are polling? I fly them a lot and have never seen any of these "polls".
BSD
AG
Probably frequent business travelers who don't check bags.
Diggity
AG
Hate to break it to you, but those bags aren't "free".

This would be an attempt to compete with the "Basic Economy" fares that the other carriers have.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Yes, we are all well aware of the "no free lunch" maxim and what they are trying to compete with on this. If I wanted to fly Frontier, Sun Country, or Spirit I would.

This is kowtowing to Elliot Management.
Bayou City
When an activist company buys your companies float you don't have much option but to listen and make those changes.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Sorry if my last sentence wasn't clear, but that's exactly what I was getting at.
Bayou City
SWA will still offer free checked bags but they will be moving that perk to airline affiliates card members like every other airline. The free checked bag perk was a revenue loser and handcuffs their ability to up charge. With airline branded credit cards providing that perk for over 50% of travelers, it's not really a huge differentiator any more.

SWA is essentially copying UALs playbook.
Four Seasons Landscaping
It's not a battle they can win.

They don't have first class, fly to 1/3 the number of destinations that United does, will never fly anything but 737s, and utilize secondary airports wherever possible. That doesn't even begin to address the budget airline stigma the brand has that prevents big three airline passengers from even considering them.

They're not morphing into United, they're morphing into Frontier.
Fins Up!
AG
Bye bye SWA. Looks like I'll be racking up more UA and AA miles.
Matsui
AG
Wow!
wangus12
AG
FWIW my wife works at SWA and is decently in the know. She typically knows changes before they become public

This is the first she and her team have heard of this
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Anybody want to dump their Southwest points let me know……
BSD
AG
Fins Up! said:

Bye bye SWA. Looks like I'll be racking up more UA and AA miles.

I have a companion pass and about a million miles on SW. once I exhaust those, I'm moving over to United. I'll probably go ahead and get the United card to start building up.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Bayou City said:

When an activist company buys your companies float you don't have much option but to listen and make those changes.

Not necessarily. Work for a fortune 100 that had a similar situation, and while it was years of hassle, we outlasted him and he eventually moved on. His ideas were not in the best long-term interest of our business
Bulldog73
AG
Regarding the assigned seating, they only polled former customers which is where their alleged 80% number came from. It's a bold strategy to poll former customers as opposed to current ones, but what do I know? I'm just a newly former customer.
txags92
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Anybody want to dump their Southwest points let me know……

How much you offering for them?
jh0400
AG
I'm looking at flights from Houston to NYC for the week after Christmas, and United is ~$100 cheaper for a flight to LGA. If this continues I'll probably switch to UA or DL full time.

Also, I don't understand the secondary airport complaint. For flying out of Houston, HOU is significantly easier than IAH. It's light on amenities, but being able to park in the garage and walk through security to the gate with no hassles is preferable to the **** show that IAH has become.
Four Seasons Landscaping
I wouldn't call it a complaint as much as a fundamental difference between them and the Delta/AA/United that people seem to think these changes are meant to compete with. They also don't have lounges like all of them, something that business passengers on the big three have come to expect, even if they're overrated.

Southwest isn't moving in the direction of those airlines; they're moving in the direction of Frontier and Spirit.
Bayou City
Frontier and Spirit currently are operating at a loss. They 100% are not trying to be those airlines.
Four Seasons Landscaping
There's a difference between saying they're TRYING to move in that direction and saying they ARE moving in that direction.

In your mind, how do these changes move them toward United/Delta/American and not the other direction?
Bayou City
UAL, Delta and AAL are all operating positive per route. LUV JBLU and Spirit run an operating loss per route. They 100% are not trying to be in that cohort. They're trying to fit a hybrid mold between UAL and their previous iteration of self. None of the airlines you listed are preferred by business travelers. LUV is trying to position themself as a business friendly alternative not a budget/value airline. Outside of business lounges, that's the direction. More amenities more up charges and less families.

They want to pick up the business traveler that flies once a week and pays for upgrades and eschew the boat load of people of Walmart and their kids that currently are their bread and butter.

Frontier changed their fare classes in April. LUV is not following their lead. What they proposed follows suit with UAL AAL and Delta far more than the new Frontier classes.
Four Seasons Landscaping
You keep saying what they want to do. Yes, we all know they WANT to move toward profitable airlines.
Quote:

Frontier changed their fare classes in April. LUV is not following their lead. What they proposed follows suit with UAL AAL and Delta far more than the new Frontier classes.
How so?

Southwest isn't offering first class. I know Frontier is blocking middle seats on two rows, but the new Southwest seating is a lot closer to that and Spirit than it is to the big three with their actual first class.
Wicked Good Ag
I will use my points up and a gift card i got for travel in 2025 then start looking at new carriers for future

It isnt a great deal anymore

But just got a email about companion pass promotion for three months
CDub06
AG
Thanks for the heads up. Cancelled and rebooked a trip I have for November. A bit extra (used credits), but I know I've got at least 2 RTs with my wife in that span.
austinag1997
AG
Four Seasons Landscaping said:

I bet they miraculously find out "80%" of customers don't like free bags either.

SWA is being pushed by new investors to maximize revenue by:

1. Paying for checked luggage and,
2. Moving to assigned seating.

They will lose market share with these moves.
txags92
AG
austinag1997 said:

Are we sure these new investors aren't actually shorts? Seems like they are trying to undo what made Southwest unique. Next they are going to go to a hub and spoke system.
Furlock Bones
AG
austinag1997 said:

yup. Elliott Management now owns a significant chunk of Southwest. They are going to do everything possible to scrap every penny. Kelleher's Southwest has been dead for a while. It is going to get worse.
Petrino1
Do customers really enjoy the cattle call boarding system of SWA? I purposely avoid SWA because of that. Its not like SWA is any cheaper than the major airlines either, I cant recall many times in the past 10 years where SWA was cheaper than United or AA flying out of Houston. Even their mileage redemption options arent that cheap compared to the other major airlines. I also prefer flying out of IAH vs Hobby because of the IAH lounges and food options.

Not sure what competitive advantage SWA has these days that would cause someone to choose them over another airline with similar or cheaper prices. Sure, I would choose them if they were significantly cheaper than the competition, but they typically aren't cheaper at all.
txags92
AG
Petrino1 said:

Do customers really enjoy the cattle call boarding system of SWA? I purposely avoid SWA because of that. Its not like SWA is any cheaper than the major airlines either, I cant recall many times in the past 10 years where SWA was cheaper than United or AA flying out of Houston. Even their mileage redemption options arent that cheap compared to the other major airlines. I also prefer flying out of IAH vs Hobby because of the IAH lounges and food options.

Not sure what competitive advantage SWA has these days that would cause someone to choose them over another airline with similar or cheaper prices. Sure, I would choose them if they were significantly cheaper than the competition, but they typically aren't cheaper at all.
I actually like it most of the time because I can pay $10-15 for early bird checkin and generally get a window or an aisle near the front of the plane, and most of the time can get an exit row seat with more legroom. To get those seats on any other airline is going to cost me $30-90 per leg. Their cattle call system is no different than all the "boarding group" lineups for United or any other airline. At least southwest gives you your place in line ahead of time so you can just walk up right before boarding starts and get in your spot in line.

I was on a United flight a few weeks ago where the gate agent came on and said "this plane has undersized overhead bins space and after the first 25 large roller bags, everybody else is going to have to gate check their rolling bags. They didn't even get through all of group 1 before they started gate checking carryons. So your position in line even in those first few groups sometimes matters and you can't just sit around until a couple of minutes before boarding before getting in line.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Their boarding tends to be more orderly than others that have groups crowding the gate. I'm usually group 2 on American and it's annoying to have to elbow my way thru, especially in airports with cramped gates. As long as i early bird or just check in at 24, I am always happy with my seat.
Wicked Good Ag
CDub06 said:

Thanks for the heads up. Cancelled and rebooked a trip I have for November. A bit extra (used credits), but I know I've got at least 2 RTs with my wife in that span.
Sweet looking for a quick cheap trip as i have possibly four trips planned for side gig during that time with another person
austinag1997
AG
I have flown SWA for years exclusively. Usually pretty short trips. Flying this week with golf clubs that fly for free... for now. Its a pretty good value right now.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.