weekend getaways in Texas?

2,186 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by 94chem
EagleCamden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have recommendations for great resorts or other long weekend getaways?
Wife and I want to get out of the Metroplex for a few days in mid October.

Gig'em!
country
AG
If money is no object look into the JL Bar near Sonora.
water turkey
JMac03
AG
I love JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country. Hyatt Lost Pines. La Cantera.
SupermachJM
AG
I've heard the Miraval Austin is really good
AustinCountyAg
EagleCamden said:

Anyone have recommendations for great resorts or other long weekend getaways?
Wife and I want to get out of the Metroplex for a few days in mid October.

Gig'em!

might be able to find an airbnb near round top/warrenton. They have there fall antique show around that time and it's fun to hang out and walk everything, drink beer, people watch, etc.
a.froman
AG
I personally don't know of any specifics places but couples love to B&B it in Fredricksburg for a weekend . Unfortunately the Hill Country, Austin and San Antonio areas and out around Big Bend have the best resort style getaways. If you are looking at staying fairly close and know the Omni at PGA is real nice just to unwind for a few nights
chick79
AG
Rough Creek Lodge in Glen Rose
Granbury
Fossil Rim
Naveronski
AG
JMac03 said:

We're at the Marriott currently. Son loves the kiddie pool/slides area. Rest of the resort is nice too.

I don't golf but can appreciate the scenery.
JMac03
AG
Naveronski said:

JMac03 said:

We're at the Marriott currently. Son loves the kiddie pool/slides area. Rest of the resort is nice too.

Don't forget to get the s'mores!
94chem
Come stay at my place in Crystal Beach. Water is still warm, storm season past, chill on the deck. I book direct and cheap.

airbnb.com/h/seahorse-ranch-crystal-beach-tx
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Fins Up!
AG
This!
EclipseAg
AG
If you are looking for something beyond the big resorts, here are a few weekend getaways we do every year/every other year:

Boerne (stay at The Kendall Inn, shop the Hill Country Mile, breweries and wineries)

Brenham (stay at Ann Street Inn, lots of good wine bars, etc, in downtown, close to Round Top)

Johnson City/Fredericksburg (this is a great AirBnB in Johnson City)

Galveston (plenty of places to stay -- you can stay beachside or Strand)
austinag1997
AG
a.froman said:

I personally don't know of any specifics places but couples love to B&B it in Fredricksburg for a weekend . Unfortunately the Hill Country, Austin and San Antonio areas and out around Big Bend have the best resort style getaways. If you are looking at staying fairly close and know the Omni at PGA is real nice just to unwind for a few nights

Fredericksburg is usually packed with people on weekends in October. You may as well stay in the Metroplex. Have to watch out for Oktoberfest also.
Naveronski
AG
JMac03 said:

Naveronski said:

JMac03 said:

Don't forget to get the s'mores!

Oh yes! Those were great too!

Really they did great on the service/hospitality side.
94chem
austinag1997 said:

a.froman said:

Fredericksburg is usually packed with people on weekends in October. You may as well stay in the Metroplex. Have to watch out for Oktoberfest also.

Austinites tend to ruin everything they touch. You start with a nice hill country town, and before you know it you've got streets full of 35 YO yuppies who are bored with life and their little kids and can't wait to drop $30 apiece of wood-fired individual pizzas and $200 boutique sweatshirts. Wimberley, I'm looking at you.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
EclipseAg said:

Galveston (plenty of places to stay -- you can stay beachside or Strand)

Seriously, give Bolivar a shot! The ferry lines are short this time of year. We stay at our place in Crystal Beach and go to the Strand for the day sometimes.
94chem,
Matsui
AG
Horseshoe Bay
Fredricksburg
Broken Bow
You can pick from a few staycation resorts in the Austin/San Antonio area
putu
AG
Give Horseshoe Bay Resort a try. Send me your dates and I'll see if I can get you a decent discount. We are pretty busy in October though. If you could push to November, we have our Wine, Dine and Jazz weekend Nov 8-9. Lots of great food, wine and music.

I would try to avoid the Austin area the first 3 weekends in October. ACL Music Festival, plus F1/t.u. vs Georgia on the 19/20th. HSB is just West of weird and shouldn't be impacted.

r mcleroy at h s b resort dot com
"Cal (9-3) vs. Texas A&M (9-3). On the list of rare sights in Southern California, a team running the option -- as the Aggies like to do with QB Stephen McGee -- ranks right up there with real breasts and 12 inches of snow." Stewart Mandel CNNSI
94chem
I still have the last weekend in September (we'll, actually the whole week), if anybody is looking for a cheap, quick getaway. Atm94unc98 at the google

https://www.facebook.com/Seahorse.Ranch.Crystal.Beach
94chem,
htxag09
AG
We did Hyatt Lost Pines a couple years ago and San Antonio Hill Country JW Marriott this year. Don't get me wrong, they are really nice and they do have great service and entertainment...

But dang they're expensive. Between crazy parking, over priced restaurants, etc., a 2 night stay at the Marriott in August ran us around $1,750. And we were flexible with dates so picked the cheapest option, so right when everyone just went back to school and during the week.
94chem
That's a lot. I can do a 3 day weekend with early check-in and late check-out for well under half that amount. Trump 2024 flags on the beach included, no extra charge. You can even get your 10 mile run at sunrise - just bring an old pair of Peg-40's.
94chem,
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.