Savannah - Charleston - Asheville

763 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by TyHolden
aggies4life
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Savannah - Charleston - Asheville from around early october to mid October.

Planning on flying in to Savannah and then hitting up Charleston and Asheville area. For those who have been - how many days is good at each?

What beaches between or near Savannah and Charleston are worth going to while in that area? Also anything else close to these two that is worth a detour?

From Charleston to Asheville - anything between this drive worth doing?

Anyone done the train ride in smoky mountains? Worth it?

Thanks!
csnole
Hilton Head is a beautiful island with lots of beaches. Also I've heard great things about Beaufort but I've never been there. My friends own the Anchorage 1770 Inn.
TMfrisco
AG
I love Savannah and Charleston, but a couple days in each is probably plenty. I may be in the minority, but I like the Gray Line Tours. You get a good overview of the city and then can go back and spend more time at the areas that interest you. Really depends on what you are interested in. Both have great food scenes and tons of history. If history is your thing, two days might not be enough.
Hilton Head is definitely a great beach option though I'm not sure what the weather/water temps will be like by mid October.
We went to Asheville for the first time last year and really enjoyed it as well. If hiking is your thing you can spend several days there getting on the Blue Ridge Parkway and hiking the days away. I would also go to the Biltmore Estate - quite a place. Tons of restaurants and breweries. Go to Biscuit Head for breakfast as many times as you can!
Great trip!
Fins Up!
AG
We've done the Smoky Mountain Railway in Bryson City. It was cool, especially if you have kids. I just really like that area.

Savannah is a fun town. Don't know about Tybee Island as far as beaches go. Everyone told us it was muddy so we didn't go out there.
Wicked Good Ag
TMfrisco said:

I love Savannah and Charleston, but a couple days in each is probably plenty. I may be in the minority, but I like the Gray Line Tours. You get a good overview of the city and then can go back and spend more time at the areas that interest you. Really depends on what you are interested in. Both have great food scenes and tons of history. If history is your thing, two days might not be enough.
Hilton Head is definitely a great beach option though I'm not sure what the weather/water temps will be like by mid October.
We went to Asheville for the first time last year and really enjoyed it as well. If hiking is your thing you can spend several days there getting on the Blue Ridge Parkway and hiking the days away. I would also go to the Biltmore Estate - quite a place. Tons of restaurants and breweries. Go to Biscuit Head for breakfast as many times as you can!
Great trip!
we did Grey line in Savannah as well years ago

I would suggest a Walking tour in Charleston with a tour guide. You get a great walk of the historic district and will see most of the top places to eat and can stop to look at menu quickly for suggestions although I would have a couple of places picked out and reservations already

Five days to me is ideal for those tow cities of Savannah and Charleston with maybe a stop in Beaufort in between at a bed and breakfast type place

If decision is between Hilton Head and Asheville to me no question Asheville...unless you are a golfer and then it is still Asheville but closer decision
TyHolden
AG
How are these areas for Christmas?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.