Story Poster
Photo by Andrew Kilzer, TexAgs
Texas A&M Women's Basketball

Aggies drop overtime battle at K-State, 71-69

January 4, 2012

Post-game thoughts

* The Aggies continue to have a tough time playing in Manhattan. It's a very tough place to win because of two factors: K-State has a great atmosphere and it's a community that strongly supports women's basketball. And, simply put, they have really good players. And tonight, the Wildcats' best players were at the top of their game. Brittany Chambers let the way by playing every minute and scoring a game-high 21 points. She found a way to get it done despite not shooting it very well from outside (2-of-9 from three-point range). The story, however, was point guard Mariah White. She posted 12 points and 11 assists to go along with five rebounds and three steals. Even more impressive was that White turned the ball over just two times in 36 minutes against A&M's pressure defense. She was the best player on the floor in this one.

Andrew Kilzer, TexAgs Consistency in Kelsey Bone's game will go a long way for the Aggies in Big 12 play. {"Module":"photo","Alignment":"right","Size":"large","Caption":"Consistency in Kelsey Bone\u0027s game will go a long way for the Aggies in Big 12 play.","MediaItemID":11731}
* It's not quite as eye-popping as the men's struggles, but the A&M women are not playing very consistent basketball. Just look at the individuals. You never really know where the production is going to come from in a given game. Tyra White is playing much, much better over the past few weeks, but practically everyone else has been wildly inconsistent this season.

Tonight, Kelsey Bone was very good (14 points, 10 rebounds, 7-of-10 FG) but she fails to show up as often as she puts together a great game. It's all part of K-Bone's development and improvement in conditioning and defensive play, and to her credit, she was very good tonight.

The key player that failed to come to play in this game was junior point guard Adrienne Pratcher. "A-Game" managed just 1 point and 1 assist in 18 minutes and committed 3 turnovers. It's Big 12 play now and while Pratcher has been very good for the most part this season, now is when it really counts and she has to bring her "A-Game" in this league if A&M has any chance to compete for a conference title.

* Sydney Carter is so gutsy. She's battled some nagging injuries but played nearly the entire game, and played very well for the maroon and white. Carter hasn't shot the ball well this season and needs to find her stroke as the Aggies move deeper into Big 12 play, but you won't find many athletes out there with the guts and grit of Syd Carter. I would take a whole team of 5-6 Carters and take my chances any day. She's a monster.

* A&M had K-State right where it wanted the 'Cats, holding a nine-point lead at the break. But what happened at Purdue last month happened again tonight ... A&M stopped scoring and allowed that to affect its defense. The 'Cats went on a 14-4 run early in the second half that tied the game at 43-43. From that point, it was a battle to the end and the two teams needed another five minutes to settle the score. In the extra period, Kansas State was just a touch better and nipped the defending national champs by two points.

* The Ags return home to face Oklahoma on Sunday. The Sooners are having a very good year but the game is at Reed Arena at 2 p.m. and A&M is looking to have a great Sunday afternoon atmosphere to make things difficult on Sherri Coale's group. Hopefully Sunday will be the day that Texas A&M "finds" itself for the first time in a month and starts playing the brand of basketball that allowed the Aggies to make a run last season and shock the college hoops world by taking home the grand prize. They are not that team right now, but things can change quickly. When you're as talented as this group is, all it takes sometimes is one great game to put it all back together.

Post-game notes

* For the ninth time this season, Texas A&M used the starting lineup of Adrienne Pratcher, Sydney Carter, Tyra White, Adaora Elonu and Kelsey Bone … It marked the 10th start of Bone’s Aggie career, the 13th career start for Pratcher, 83rd for White and 86th for Elonu.

* Texas A&M moves to 6-10 all-time in Big 12 Conference openers and 4-6 when starting league play on the road.

* Texas A&M is now to 7-13 in the all-time series with Kansas State and moves to 0-3 vs. K-State in Big 12 openers.

* The Aggies played their first overtime game since Dec. 20, 2007 at No. 22 George Washington and are now to 13-10 all-time in overtime games.

* A&M outscored K-State 22-7 in second chance points and held a 24-11 advantage in offensive rebounds.

* The Aggie bench outscored the Wildcats’ bench, 13-3.

* Bone tallied her 12th career and third double-double as an Aggie. It was also her second straight.

* White has now started in 70 straight games, a streak that started on Jan. 4, 2010 against Lamar. She has also scored double figures in 19 of her last 20 games.

* In just six minutes in the first half, Gilbert tallied 4 points, four rebounds and a block.

* Elonu dished out a season-high three assists and grabbed a first-half season-high seven rebounds.

* Carter had a first-half season-high four rebounds.

* Skylar Collins played a career-high 23 minutes and contributed 9 points on 4-of-4 from the floor and 1-of-1 from the free throw line, with two assists and two rebounds.

* Adaora Elonu added 8 points and nine rebounds.

Post-game quotes

HC Gary Blair

Opening statement…
"This team has been playing like this for a long time. Everyone’s circle on their calendar is when they play us. We have to respond. Getting to the Final Four, getting to the NCAA Tournament is not very much in our reach right now until we learn to play better and smarter. The smarter team won tonight. The team that executed their offense in the last five minutes of the game won tonight. We gave up 60 percent in the second half. We have to get better. I had four seniors on the floor. I’m frustrated as a coach and I have to teach better. Drills aren’t going to get us better. Film, basketball IQ and finding a heartbeat as a team is going to get us better."

On K-State’s Mariah White…
"Mariah White played very well. She’s not a jump shooter, she’s a driver, driver, driver and when everything was taken away she put the ball on the floor. We allowed her to get side-by-side and the kid just made a play (at the end). It wasn’t Chambers that beat us, it was White. Carter did an adequate job (on Chambers) for the game."

G Sydney Carter

On guarding Brittany Chambers…
"I’ve got to make sure I’m not taking any plays off. I know she’s going to be involved in every play, either she’s going to be a screen or she’s going to be the shooter. I let her get away from me on a couple of flair screens and she just knocked them down. I think I was doing a pretty good job in the first half. I was wearing her down a bit and she was running off screens and rushing shots off the dribble. In the second half, they were running more flair screens for her and she was knocking them down."

On K-State’s run to start the second half…
"I think that’s where we kind of lost the game. We couldn’t seem to capitalize and we just turned the ball over way too much. Me being a senior out there, I can tell that this team is just way different than last year. We don’t have a point guard and I’m kind of having to run the point. We definitely need our point guards in there running the show and Tyra and I need to knock down some shots. Their run was something careless on our part. We need to do a better job and clean it up."
Discussion from...

Thoughts: Aggies drop overtime battle at K-State, 71-69

7,221 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by dfleig
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Aggies drop overtime battle at K-State, 71-69
Gabe Bock
Sponsor
AG
Special thanks to Mac Resource Computers for their sponsorship of all women's basketball content produced throughout the season at TexAgs.com! Once again this season, all WBB content will be available free ... so feel free to pass around any of our women's hoops stuff to your friends.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Thanks for the article.

I think the key to this season is what Carter has to say. She said we don't have a point guard and she is having to move over to run point.

We must have pratcher focus and play in that zone she finds every now and then OR we need standish to grow up in a hurry.

When Carter goes to the one, we don't have a solid two.

HiddenAg2
Couple of thoughts:

1) There was no real atmosphere at KSU tonight as there were about 500 fans at the game and it was pretty quiet throughout. So not an excuse to lose because of this.

2) Although Bone had a nice game offensively, she was equally as poor on defense. Lots of "ole" moments for her in the lane.

3) The PG play was dreadful. They were so bad in running the offense and turning it over they were both benched and forced Carter to play the 1. Not good.

4) If it wasn't for Sydney Carter, A&M might very well have a losing record in the Big 12 this year.

5) This team is nowhere near as talented a last year's group and it's very obvious that we only have a few really talented players on this team right now. Hopefully next year's big freshmen class is as good as advertised because we desperately need some quick defensive-minded players.
charley67
I luv Carter, but she toots her own horn 2 much. Bone has sooo much potential but is overrated so far. Doesn't see open mates, doesn't pass well, receive well, block out and appears out of shape. Common Standish. Pratch may be fast but not quick. "O" will eat her up. I'd like to see more PT for Asserian.
cs69ag
AG
Carter had to play the whole game guarding Chambers and run the team at point while playing with a hot spot on her foot...no wonder she missed 2 free throws...she had to be exhausted!
JR69
AG
quote:
I luv Carter, but she toots her own horn 2 much.....

If taking responsibility as a senior is tooting her own horn, I say give the whole damn team brand new trumpets!
charley67
Take responsibility in practice, in the locker room, in the game, not on radio, not in newspaper.
cs69ag
AG
Not too many vocal leaders on some Aggie teams these days...Colson was an exception...Carter doing her best, but not sure she gets much help from the other seniors on the team...a lot of today's athletes think it is cool to just try and be a good player, but not say much.
Carter has had to go from a complimentary type player and best defender to being the leader...need Pratch and Lexi to step up their roles....tougher as under classmen, especially for a freshmen like Lexi who does not start

Leadership seemed to be lacking in football this year...team really missed Michael Hodges...sounds like Matt Davis, the QB fish recruit may be a vocal type guy...most teams need someone like that.
JR69
AG
quote:
Take responsibility in practice, in the locker room, in the game, not on radio, not in newspaper.

Pretty weak charley - she does all that and more, and always has. Trouble is, she has no help. There is nobody on this team that has given more during her time at A&M. I suppose you expect her to answer with silence when asked ON THE RADIO what she needs to do to (fill in the blank here).

[This message has been edited by JR69 (edited 1/7/2012 9:38a).]
dfleig
AG
Charlie67, please do NOT ever criticize Sidney Carter again on this site! She has been an awesome student athlete, one of the best ever in ANY sport at A&M. She has earned your utmost respect and if you don't get that, then you haven't been a serious fan of this team for the past 4 years.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.