Real Estate
Sponsored by

Texas Fair Plan

1,936 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by BBGigem
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To make a long story short I am relocating across League City in a few weeks. My lender got a bid on insurance for the new home including windstorm. Not knowing the guy I got a quote from my current broker as well. The difference came out to nearly $300 a month in favor of the lenders bid.

I did compare apples to apples and there are some differences. Deductible is 2.5% vs 2% and some other very minor details that would equate to less than pocket change per month. I found out the lenders quote was TFP...... doing very quick ignorant research it is very hit or miss on reviews. I fully understand you typically get what you pay for in life but $300 a month on top of todays interest rates can be a big deal to a family like mine.

Anyone out there have any feedback?

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

SteveBott
AG
You need to check to see if they are Cash Value or Replacement coverage. Cash value sucks and reimburses a fraction of replacement.

Pretty sure the Fair plan uses cash value only
Maverick06
AG
Check water damage coverages. I have TFP bc I couldn't get coverage anywhere else but they only cover $5k in accidental water damage.
SteveBott
AG
TFP is considered the "insurance of last resort" when you have been declined twice by market carriers. It has limited coverage and benefits.

But in today's market I think more folks will end up there. Especially Houston
500,000ags
AG
I have never heard of this TFP coverage and this is the second time it's popped up on this board this month. For those struggling to get home coverage, is this a regional part of the state like Houston only, or is this struggle across the entire state?
SteveBott
AG
State sponsored. But you have to be declined twice so Houston and the coast cities would be it's primary market

Since getting outright declined has not happened much until recently you now see them pop up as a carrier.
Maverick06
AG
I'm in North DFW and was declined by more than two providers before I had to settle for TFP. My coverage was declined bc I have a 12 year old roof.
Deats99
AG
Question on the roof, class 3 or 4 shingles? The age issue is why 2 of my agent friends steered me away from Class 4. They last too long and the roof becomes uninsurable.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Sea Speed
AG
Deats99 said:

Question on the roof, class 3 or 4 shingles? The age issue is why 2 of my agent friends steered me away from Class 4. They last too long and the roof becomes uninsurable.

This is so absolutely ass backwards. So ridiculous.
Deats99
AG
I absolutely agree, but once your roof gets to 10 years you're effed
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Sea Speed
AG
Isn't that with new plans and not worth existing policies though? At least I got that impression.
Diggity
AG
great for the roofers though.
500,000ags
AG
Sounds like we need less software / AI innovation and more roof innovation.
BrianDemarais
AG
As someone mention above, the main issue is that they cover a max of $5k towards Sudden and Accidental Water Damage, which would be from a plumbing or appliance leak. A typical home insurance policy would cover up to the full dwelling limit. The home should be insured at Replacement Cost Coverage though, or the lender wouldn't accept it
BBGigem
AG
Homeowners policies in Texas vary from company to company. The coverage limits may look the same but what the policy contract reads vary. There really isn't a way to compare "apples to apples". I like to say they are all fruit but one company sells an apple, another company sells a pear. Anyway, here is a link that helps you compare the policies themselves: Homeowners Insurance Comparison - Office of Public Insurance Counsel (texas.gov)

Good catch on deductibles as well as keep an eye on personal property limits. Many companies are adjusting how they handle roof claims based on the age of the roof. After a certain age, they may not pay replacement cost on them. Be sure to ask. Not 100% sure on how Texas Fair Plan handles it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.