Real Estate
Sponsored by

HOA - developer controlled

1,335 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by OnlyForNow
TXCityGirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have a good resource for HOA disputes and legalities? Our HOA is still developer controlled (in BCS). Their office sent homeowners an email this summer stating that they needed $600 more this summer than the invoiced amount due in January.
The demand letter cited additional expenses, but with no backup, documentation, annual meeting, etc. Past HOA meetings have been a disaster with this developer. I found the Texas Property Code online. Is there any other resource for these types of issues? The developer enjoys litigation.
Deats99
AG
It is always a **** show with declarants. But they do have to provide transparency and generally are required to cover shortages.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Rexter
Visit with Josh Benn in CS.
Heineken-Ashi
Rexter said:

Visit with Josh Benn in CS.
Seconded. Josh is top notch.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
OnlyForNow
AG
What do do the bylaws say about the board? Getting enough home owners you may be able to remove the developer.

Is this fee declared a "special assessment"?
ElephantRider
AG
Who is the developer?
TXCityGirl
Yes, the words "special assessment" were used in the email.
Developer is Rountree and I would 1000000% say not to do business with them.
ElephantRider
AG
Yeah, good luck with that.

I agree with your assessment about doing business with them...and I'll leave it at that.

FWIW, Rountree was just sued by Brazos County over tax issues.
OnlyForNow
AG
Get a super majority of the current homeowners and you can retake the board.
Diggity
AG
Doesn't work when the developer still owns a good chunk of the lots.
UhOhNoAgTag
Good luck if developer is Wallace Phillips. He is in everyone's back pocket. Best best to go to Houston or Austin.
OnlyForNow
AG
Depends on how the by laws are written, but since this is new development most likely means the legal language is pretty strong in their favor. My HOA restrictions are from the late 80s and I'm pretty sure no lawyer ever looked at them since their fairly contradictory, there are multiple spelling/sentax errors, and it allows the people to over throw the opressors.
Deats99
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Get a super majority of the current homeowners and you can retake the board.

Usually doesn't work because any intelligent developer would make his lots have at least a majority's worth of votes each
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
MsDoubleD81
AG
The ones in my neighborhood have a totally different name listed at the top than what our subdivision is. I think they just copied and pasted the verbiage. Our HOA is pretty useless and is still developer controlled.

They just take our money and get hissy if we ask what they spend it on.
ElephantRider
AG
UhOhNoAgTag said:

Good luck if developer is Wallace Phillips. He is in everyone's back pocket. Best best to go to Houston or Austin.

It's Trent Thomas.
OnlyForNow
AG
The trouble would be that you're gonna be spending your money to hire a lawyer and not the HOA's money.

Good luck!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.