Is Texas High School Football Superiority Becoming A Thing of the Past?

1,033 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by vin1041
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
" IMG Academy, the No. 1 ranked team on the USA Today Florida Network Super 25 and No. 2 nationally, was stunned by Corner Canyon (Utah) 35-34 on Thursday night."

"Corner Canyon, ranked No. 16 nationally by USA Today, scored 21 consecutive points in the second half and stopped IMG's two-point conversion attempt late in the fourth quarter to hold on for the win. IMG led 28-14 at halftime."

" The loss is IMG's first since falling to Miami Central in the 2022 season opener and snaps the Ascenders 18-game win streak."

"Corner Canyon four-star junior quarterback Helamen Casuga threw for 330 yards and four touchdowns, including three touchdown passes to five-star receiver Jerome Myles."

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2024/08/23/high-school-football-no-1-img-academy-stunned-by-corner-canyon-35-34/74916207007/

///

Really surprised because it seems like the top rated high school teams are from Florida these days. And California. And private.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Texas velvet maestro
Texas produced the most players for the 2023 NFL season, with 187 players on NFL rosters, followed by Florida with 178 players and California with 173 players.
UTExan
Texas velvet maestro said:

Texas produced the most players for the 2023 NFL season, with 187 players on NFL rosters, followed by Florida with 178 players and California with 173 players.

So aggregate-wise, Texas produces tons of quality players. Just surprised that no Texas high school is up there at the top. Corner Canyon is a public school system here.
Edit to say Duncanville and DeSoto are up in the top 8.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
BohunkAg
AG
I think other states have more schools that are "football factory" high schools than Texas does.
Texas velvet maestro
BohunkAg said:

I think other states have more schools that are "football factory" high schools than Texas does.
Yes they do. and we'll see if Utah's one powerhouse stays near the top. suburb of salt lake I'd guess.
BillYeoman
Utah should stop recruiting Texas then since we suck at high school football.
UTExan
BillYeoman said:

Utah should stop recruiting Texas then since we suck at high school football.

Oh, no, Bill. We typically have 12-17 Texans on board.
12thMan9
AG
UTExan said:

" IMG Academy, the No. 1 ranked team on the USA Today Florida Network Super 25 and No. 2 nationally, was stunned by Corner Canyon (Utah) 35-34 on Thursday night."

"Corner Canyon, ranked No. 16 nationally by USA Today, scored 21 consecutive points in the second half and stopped IMG's two-point conversion attempt late in the fourth quarter to hold on for the win. IMG led 28-14 at halftime."

" The loss is IMG's first since falling to Miami Central in the 2022 season opener and snaps the Ascenders 18-game win streak."

"Corner Canyon four-star junior quarterback Helamen Casuga threw for 330 yards and four touchdowns, including three touchdown passes to five-star receiver Jerome Myles."

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2024/08/23/high-school-football-no-1-img-academy-stunned-by-corner-canyon-35-34/74916207007/

///

Really surprised because it seems like the top rated high school teams are from Florida these days. And California. And private.
Interesting. A group that follows HS sports for a living has 3 TX schools in the top 8.

https://www.maxpreps.com/widgets/video.aspx?videoid=bbc4b247-1282-4f6f-9288-b8d6efc87ec4

Bad post.
Ronnie '88
BohunkAg
AG
I was just listening to a radio show this morning where a guy from Florida was talking about IMG Academy. They actually have three teams. One for each tier of prospects. Even their third tier team has guys that go D-1. And these guys come from all over the country. I don't think that qualifies as a "Florida high school."
Texas velvet maestro
saw highlights of this game's ending. The florida QB gave it away like he had money on utah.

Anyway in his comical quest to make utah relevant the op is making a mountain out of an aberration.
UTExan
I remember the days when Odessa Permian was ranked #1 nationally most years. Now it's IMG or Bishop Gorman. Mater Dei or other Catholic-related schools. I guess it goes to privatization of schools, which probably should have been the focus of the thread originally.
BohunkAg
AG
UTExan said:

I remember the days when Odessa Permian was ranked #1 nationally most years. Now it's IMG or Bishop Gorman. Mater Dei or other Catholic-related schools. I guess it goes to privatization of schools, which probably should have been the focus of the thread originally.
Bishop Gorman is a football factory too. Kids come from all over to play there.
Texas velvet maestro
I remember Skyline in Dallas, a public arts magnate.. the art of football
UTExan
BohunkAg said:

UTExan said:

Bishop Gorman is a football factory too. Kids come from all over to play there.

Vatican figured out a new way to reverse declining numbers through sports recruitment, perhaps.
Texas velvet maestro
vin1041
AG
It's money!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.