Home Improvement
Sponsored by

*** Pre-Emergent FAQ ***

102,255 Views | 368 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by Prince_Ahmed
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How long do y'all typically wait after laying down fertilizer/herbicide before you let pets in kids back out into the lawn
bam02
AG
I'd think as long as it's watered in pretty good and then dried out it would be fine.
El_duderino
Usually the next afternoon to give it time to dry from the evening before.
wangus12
AG
Sounds good. Banking on some rain the next 48 hours in McKinney because my sprinklers are out of commission from some busted pipes from the freeze that I haven't fixed yet
Southlake Ag
AG
That time of year - especially in DFW
El_duderino
Not even close with these temps
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Southlake Ag said:

That time of year - especially in DFW

You're safe waiting with as hot as it is. Then it'll be effective further into spring.
FincAg
AG
From now and for probably another 3 weeks is my guess.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Neil says not yet

https://neilsperry.com/2023/08/winter-weed-prevention-an-update/
El_duderino
Yeah we're probably a month behind normal for app timing. I'd normally be spraying my lawn this weekend, but it's looking like October 1 for the first application this year.
FincAg
AG
Good to know
El_duderino
Yeah just checked dfw area, and soil temp is still at 100 degrees. I'm hoping for decent rain chances in the next couple weeks to be able to time the app with the rain
Southlake Ag
AG
I agree. I used Neil's old schedule. He sent out an email on Thursday and said "hold your horses".

Will probably be at least another week, but most likely two weeks.

Good news is that I have my product in the garage and ready to go.
Cromagnum
AG
Gonna be a bad spring weed season with all the destroyed lawns from heat, drought, and chinch this summer.
El_duderino
At this rate it'll be at least a month behind normal.
agdoc91
AG
Neil's latest update says to apply in North Texas by September 10th to be effective. Given the high temps forecasted for next week, think I will wait closer to the 10th.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
What's the best one to use in college station st Augustin? I've been using some cheap stuff and it was useless the last couple cycles. Need to switch? Brand and the granules vs spray?
El_duderino
I've been spraying for 2-3 years and it's miles better than granular.

What have you been using and do you use the same pre emergent in both the fall and spring?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I've been using generic dimension granules spring and fall. I hit a clearance sale several years back and got some 50lb bags for $5 each. I have a half a bag left so it's time to change.
TexDill15
AG
El_duderino said:

I've been spraying for 2-3 years and it's miles better than granular.

What have you been using and do you use the same pre emergent in both the fall and spring?

What product are you buying to spray? I need to try something different. The Poa Annual & Nutsedge has kicked my ass and about taken over a whole area of my lawn.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Pre-emergent probably isn't going to do much for nutsedge. Get you a post-emergent like sedgehammer. Treat every2-3 weeks. It takes a couple weeks to really notice, but it's very effective. Prepare to battle it at least a couple of summers though.
El_duderino
Specticle/Simazine/prodiamine. Specticle is by far the best pre emergent money can buy as it has no known resistance. I put down a 1/4 rate application in April and have maybe a couple spurge and a tiny amount of sedge. I'd spray certainty to take care of the sedge, but I don't want to stress the grass out any more than it already is with 0 rain in 3 months.
ktownag08
AG
Just applied the Barricade and Fall Fertilizer this weekend in Houston area. Seems on time this year.

Do it before the cold front comes if you haven't!
CLB2008
AG
ktownag08 said:

Just applied the Barricade and Fall Fertilizer this weekend in Houston area. Seems on time this year.

Curious why? Is it because the projected rain will help it?
chickencoupe16
AG
CLB2008 said:

ktownag08 said:

Curious why? Is it because the projected rain will help it?
Winter weeds germinate when soil temps fall below a certain temperature (55?). The front with the rain will drive temps down and is hopefully the start of seasonal weather.
El_duderino
I try and get mine down before soil temps hit 70 in the fall and the poa starts germinating. Applied 2 days ago and should get watered in this week with the rain right before overnight temps fall to the mid-low 50s
AggieOO
Putting mine down today
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Mine was put down and watered in yesterday.
ktownag08
AG
Poster above nailed it. Presume this is the start of the cooler weather so soil temps will start to decline.

Usually it's been recommended to get this done before first true cool front of the year which is upon us.
water turkey
Didn't get mine down before the rain. Will have to wait until this weekend.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Is barricade still the rec for Houston? Want something I can grab at Ace
water turkey
Dill-Ag13 said:

Is barricade still the rec for Houston? Want something I can grab at Ace

Yes-also fall fertilizer and fungicide
ktownag08
AG
Yup, Ace carries the Nitro Phos products!
Ken Adams
AG
We had new Augustine laid in April and it did well over the summer. It looks like Neil Sperry says to skip the pre emergent for its first winter cycle. Is there anything to do going into fall? Can't seem to find great info on new lawns. Dallas area.
tlepoC
AG
I think this fits in this thread vs new but can anyone help me out with identification of a weed? I am horrible at identifying green things. This round clumpy grass has taken over my yard. Found a seed head but can't match it to any online pictures.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.