Home Improvement
Sponsored by

*** Pre-Emergent FAQ ***

102,253 Views | 368 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by Prince_Ahmed
Baby Billy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Take a look in here

https://aggieturf.tamu.edu/turfgrass-weeds/
tlepoC
AG
Thanks. I'll go with KR Bluestem based on that.
El_duderino
That **** is the devil
Cromagnum
AG
Have to wait for my lawn to dry out (cant believe im saying that) before I can put down preemergent now. Got over 8 inches of rain in 3 days.
AggieFactor
AG
So who is treating this weekend in North Texas as the last frost of the season and getting ready to start all their Spring fertilizer programs? Who has already started it given the temps the last couple weeks? Already starting to see my Zoysia greening up in the full sun areas here in East Dallas.

FYI still in the first year of growth for the sod so still not using pre-emergent which is why I am not referencing that.
Aggie71013
AG
Guessing it's about time in Houston too. Likely have had our last freeze and that normally occurs in March.
agdoc91
AG
This week's to-do list from Neil Sperry's email newsletter (February 15th):

"Deep South Texas apply pre-emergent granules Dimension, Halts, or Balan to prevent germination of crabgrass and grassburs. Repeat 90 days later for full season of control. These are safe on any type of lawngrass. In Central Texas your time will come first two weeks of March. Far North Texas apply last two weeks of March. These pre-emergent products must be applied before weed seeds germinate."
El_duderino
I definitely wouldn't wait another few weeks to a month to put down Pre E anywhere in Texas. 5 day soil temp average is already 52 up in dallas
lawless89
Put down my pre-emergent last week in College Station. Then this week did a full yard aeration and then rolled on compost. My St. Augustine was already coming out of dormancy and I knew I needed to get started!
Cromagnum
AG
Got all mine sprayed down the last couple of days. Time to fertilize and work on getting the weeds in control.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Got Barricade and fertilizer down yesterday. And brought the irrigation system back online. Reallly hoping I don't have to resod half my front yard, however I went scorched earth on it last Summer with weed killer and knocked the d!ck out of my St Augustine. I created a much bigger problem, but we'll see how well it bounces back this Spring.
Mostly Peaceful
Getting close to that time of year again and I've got a question for the experts. I put down bermuda seed in the spring, and there are several areas where it did not come in very well. Sperry recommends applying pre-emergent the first half of September, but I would like to put down some more bermuda first once temps are back to the low 90s. Am I going to screw things up if I wait until late October to put down pre-emergent? I'm just south of Burleson in case that makes a difference.

Also, any good seed recommendations? I used Scott's previously and have since learned how foolish that was.
chickencoupe16
AG
If I were you, I'd skip the pre-emergent this year and maybe even next year's first application. At least for the areas you're putting seed down in. A good, thick lawn if the best prevention for weeds and I wouldn't do anything to hurt the chances of the bermuda seed. Get back on the schedule after the patchy areas are in good shape.
tgivaughn
AG
https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/epa-issues-rare-emergency-ban-weed-killing-pesticide
IMHO and am sticking to it
10andBOUNCE
AG
You're probably 10-20 mins away from me. I did roughly 15k square feet of bermuda by seed the last couple of years. I'm in no way an expert but have definitely picked up on a few things. Seed I got was from Hancock Seed; always germinated nicely for me and the customer service has been good. You basically need to water the mess out of it to get it to fill in quickly. I was watering roughly 3x a day the first couple of weeks and then slowly dialed it back. I would recommend also skipping the fall pre-emergent.

Some areas didn't fill in great the first year or so. A lot of this was due to what was under the dirt - rocks, builder debris, etc. I have a lot of hot spots in my front yard I still need to do the screw driver test on and see what might be there. It's never ending how much crap a builder leaves and grades over. I partially blame myself. This year I have focused on spoon feeding my back yard (area I mostly care about) with high nitrogen every couple of weeks and carbon products in between. Beyond that, I committed to mowing low and often all summer. It's really come in thicker this year. So moral of the story is that it may be sparse your first year or so, but no need to worry.

My current issue is all of the KR Bluestem weeds I need to eradicate, but that's gonna be a tough one. I still haven't found a pre-emergent that's been super effective for me, but was able to find someone selling off part of their Rezilon, so will give that a try the next few applications.

gabehcoud

nm just realized this post was from february
Mostly Peaceful
I dug up a 12 volt battery out of my yard the other day. Never ends.

I appreciate the replies. I'll check out Hancock.
ktownag08
AG
Does the Randy Lemmon lawn schedule work for Bermuda? Have a new place with this type of grass and have zero familiarity with taking care of it.
Prince_Ahmed
ktownag08 said:

Does the Randy Lemmon lawn schedule work for Bermuda? Have a new place with this type of grass and have zero familiarity with taking care of it.
The Randy Lemmon lawn schedule works to dump a ton of expensive product on your lawn, whether you need it or not.

Get your soil tested, then follow the schedule from a reputable source, rather than a radio jockey with a communications degree. Turns out A&M has pretty good information!

http://publications.tamu.edu/TURF_LANDSCAPE/PUB_turf_Maintaining%20Bermudagrass%20Lawns.pdf

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.