Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Down to Stud 'Renovation' Process and Tips

10,252 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Sea Speed
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to start tackling this apartment renovation and this will by far be the biggest job i have done. I want to make sure I do things in order and take any lessons learned from folks here so I dont go too far off in one direction then realize I stepped on my toes.

This apartment is kind of funky and I wouldn't hate design input either. The apartment will be for friends and family who are coming to visit on our new property, and we will put it up as a STR as well because of tax benefits. Highly doubt it gets too much action that way.

Right now I believe the best course of action is to get the electrical all squared away and move any outlets or lights as necessary. Then drywall then floors and then trim. I feel like I should get all of that completely done and THEN tackle the bathroom, starting with the shower, followed by vanity area. How does this sound?
Sea Speed
AG
On the design front, there are 3 corner areas that were previously conditioned space and one that was not. I was thinking about making a little kids nook in the lower corner one with a twin mattress on the floor that can be slid in and out. Most of our friends have little kids and it is really the only use for this space I can think of. Weird? It is a lit area.
jeffk
AG
I'd see if you can get both the bedroom and bathroom ready for drywall and tackle that step all at once. Especially if you're going to hire it out. While you're planning and moving electrical for the bedroom, do the same for the bathroom (maybe there's some plumbing that needs changing too?).

Just my two cents.
Sea Speed
AG
There are two other spots in the corner that I really only think can be used for closet space or storage. I wish I could put a door on one and have it be a pack and play area but the lack of air circulation pretty much rules that out. I dont think there is a practical way to make that work. Any out of the box thinking there?

jeffk
AG
Louvered door or curtain partition?
Sea Speed
AG
Man that louvered door may be the ticket. Thanks for that. So simple. Maybe a fan in there as well? Idk. I wouldn't mind putting my kid in there but other parents are a little more uptight ha. Thanks.
jeffk
AG
You could throw a switched ventilation fan in the wall somewhere too while you have it down to studs.

We've napped our kids in closets with just a cracked door before, but yeah, we're not worriers.
Sea Speed
AG
jeffk said:

You could throw a switched ventilation fan in the wall somewhere too while you have it down to studs.

We've napped our kids in closets with just a cracked door before, but yeah, we're not worriers.

Yea I was thinking about that. There is no space for one of those fans though. Exhaust wouldn't work because the other side ofbthebceuling is the roof so there isn't really anywhere for the air to go and I dont think I want to go through the roof. I'll start looking at options that direction though. Good idea.
mts6175
AG
I know you said tackle the bathroom later, but while the walls are open I'd make sure your plumbing rough in is where you want it.
Sea Speed
AG
Thats a good point. I will definitely look at shower changes. I think there isbreally only one place for the sink and toilet to go, but I definitely need to assess the shower.
Gary79Ag
AG
And don't forget to protect all electrical and plumbing thru studs with No Nail Plates before you sheetrock!
aka The Lavaca County Legend
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Step 1: Double your budget.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I think the above poster's suggestion for a vent fan was in the wall between the conditioned space and the closet areas to improve circulation between the two. Not out the roof. Combined with the louvered door, would probably circulate a lot of air.

If you're going to use those spaces as a little sleeping nook, maybe add some insulation in the walls for sound-dampening as well?

Maybe some coax and ethernet drops while you have it all open?

Honestly, if I had that space, I'd try really hard to make one of the nooks a hidden storage area with a "built-in" shelf for entry.
Sea Speed
AG
Good call on the insulation. I'm not sure what you mean by hidden built in?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Something like this. Built-in just meaning that the door itself looks like a built-in rather than look like a piece of furniture against the wall. There are kits you can buy for these.

Sea Speed
AG
Wow that would be very legit and add some sophistication to something I kind of envisioned being more utilitarian. Nice.
JP76
That electrical is screaming amateur hour. Needs to be nailed to to the center of the studs and not just floating everywhere. Or did you pull the staples because you are redoing some of it ?
Sea Speed
AG
I have not done anything yet. The previous owner did all the demo and thus is what I am stepping in to day 1 so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised if some have been pulled as there are a few junction boxes that have obviously been removed, but I haven't looked at it very closely.
Sea Speed
AG
So I would assume I can remove this footer here to make another little storage area as this doesn't seem to be doing much of anything here.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Now might be a good time to look into alternatives to window unit ac's. Maybe a mini split. Maybe two. Also take a look at insulation above the ceiling. Garage apartments are always hot. Always.

Depending on how much bathroom work yall are doing, your might want to do that first, that way the guys aren't tracking dust and mess into your new construction. Will also give you more time to think up ways to spend more money.
Sea Speed
AG
It is 600 sf or so so 2 would be overkill but that is an interesting thought and I had not even considered it.
combat wombat™
AG
You could also do a Murphy bed in a low cabinet in the nook, right under the ax unit. You could probably fit a queen bed there.

This one is 36.6" tall. And there are a LOT of options out there.
Sea Speed
AG
Wow I did not know they made them like that I had only seen them in the large size where they are on the wall.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Looks perfect for a 2 night guest. After 2 nights on that thing they are going home for sure!
combat wombat™
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Looks perfect for a 2 night guest. After 2 nights on that thing they are going home for sure!

Like I said, there are many other variations. You can probably find one with a reasonable mattress.
Claude!
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Sea Speed
AG
We have a couch that folds in half and has a pull out part that makes it a queen sized bed and then we put a 4" memory foam topper on it when we have some guests and I won't lie it is pretty comfortable.
Sea Speed
AG
So one thing I am really wondering if I should upgrade is the water heater. Currently a small tank, but an on demand water heater sure seems like a good idea. There are 2 faucets and a shower in there but I dont really think people will be doing any major cooking in the kitchen so I cant imagine demand will be too terribly much. Per their own chart, the Rheem 11kw hester would work, but if they are anything like gun safes I feel like it would be underpowered.

https://a.co/d/j4WWvs8
JP76
Is the current tank heater a 220 v double 30 amp breaker in the panel ? If so it is probably only a 10 gauge wire

That rheem will require a 50 amp breaker and a six gauge wire

Also does this apartment have its own electrical panel ? Or fed from the main house panel ?

You may be pushing it by installing a heater that draws more amps
Sea Speed
AG
It has its own panel in the garage and running wire will be pretty easy due to the fact that there is nothing really in the way of the run. The panel and the spot for the heater are probably 10 feet apart at most.

ETA i can't recall what the wiring situation is but I will double check.
JP76
What size panel is on it now ? What is the main breaker ? 100, 125, 200 amp ?

Does it also have a full kitchen ? Washer and dryer ?

Also electric tankless are not very efficient. It says up to 2.68 gpm. If you try to shower while running a washing machine or dishwasher that small of heater may not keep up.

I framed a cabin that has this same unit installed on it and it works ok but it also has a 200 amp electrical service.

How do you plan to heat and cool it?

Sea Speed
AG
No there is a bathroom sink, shower and a sink in what will be a pretty spartan kitchen area. It is exactly what their little graphic says it should be able to handle, but if it is anything like a gun safes advertisement, it would barely be able to run a single faucet
Sea Speed
AG
I'm going to redo all of the plumbing with pex-A. Buddy talked me in to it.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Just curious, what made you go PEX-A?

I'm no plumbing expert, but I've run a fair amount of PEX-B. I've read into both, and there are some trade-offs, but PEX-B certainly seems more prolific today.
Sea Speed
AG
My buddy has the expanding tool and some other parts that will make my life easier.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.