Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Down to Stud 'Renovation' Process and Tips

10,296 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Sea Speed
BenTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

My buddy has the expanding tool and some other parts that will make my life easier.
That helps.
Sea Speed
AG
Plumbing in apartment done. Old shower area had plumbing for bathtub and/or shower so I deleted one drain and set of piping. This was my first time running pex so made some mistakes and certainly could have run it better but I'm happy with it all things considered. Had to move both drains for the kitchen and bath sink to accommodate moving the line up of the bathroom sink to be middle of the wall instead of the left side.

Only thing that is a little concerning to me is the plastic part of the plastergaurd on the shower rough in valve seems wonky after i put it back in after mounting it. Anyone have any experience with that?

Sea Speed
AG
Of course i say it is done and the 90 for the kitchen sink drain exploded when I tried to get the cap off to put the threaded fitting on it.
Sea Speed
AG
Also huge shout out to the Aggie GM and the staff of Moores in Beaumont who were a tremendous help while I was getting this plumbing job done.
Win At Life
AG
Any of that electrical around your bathroom on a GFCI?

Also, virtual all new electrical in residential needs to be AFCI, if you are going by latest code.
Sea Speed
AG
I will be putting in new outlets in every single box including gfci in the kitchen and bathroom. I am going to run a 2 burner cooktop on its own circuit and same with a garbage disposal. Have a bit of work to do on the electrical side.
terradactylexpress
That pex doesn't seem supported at all
Sea Speed
AG
I'm going to go back through and support it all tomorrow. Baby steps with three kids out of school for summer.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Why do you have two outlets right on top of one another?
Sea Speed
AG
I am guessing one was for the garbage disposal but it wasn't labeled as such in the panel. The kitchen countertop would separate them. I believe we will be moving both but I cant recall specifically.
Sea Speed
AG
Been getting after it for the last few days and i am almost done with the electrical. Changed some of the electrical up so now the cooktop is on its own circuit and the bathroom outlet is on its own circuit allow for significant draw including plugging in a space heater if necessary. Also have the microwave and fridge on their own circuit as well now.

Put two fans in to the additional sleeping area places and added the boxes for the sconce lights as well.

Additionally I added several outlets and moved several others.

I can not decide if I want to run some wire to put an outlet on the end of the future peninsula. I am not sure if we are going to have open or cabinet peninsula but it would be good to have power there I think. I could always run it under the apartment and then come up through the floor later in reckon.
Sea Speed
AG
Also swapped out the overhead fluorescent lights with some shallow fans with lights to get some circulation since the room is long and only has the AC at one end.

I also added the shower niche while I was doing some additional framing to get it off my floor.

BenTheGoodAg
AG
Roughing in wire now would be my call.
Sea Speed
AG
Agreed. It was something that I had just started pondering today.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Don't forget to paint the ceiling. A fresh white coat really makes everything brighter and just feels clean.
Sea Speed
AG
Yes we're definitely doing that. Wife wants to headboard the entire ceiling so I am fighting that.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I don't even know what that is. I think I am a better man for it.
Sea Speed
AG
Auto correct. It was supposed to say bead board.
Sea Speed
AG
So looking to get drywall done next week. Is there anything I should address before that that I may have forgotten?

I am adding a small well, adding bracing for a TV, done with plumbing, nearly done with electrical, putting up new insulation.

Surely I am forgetting something and could certainly use another POV before I screw myself.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Cat 5. I don't know how far this is from the main house, but if you can run cat 5 from the apartment to the main router it would help. You could put in an Eero or similar in the apartment so you have good wifi there. If you are doing it, add a cat 5 drop behind the tv so you can stream better.
Sea Speed
AG
Its detached and all wiring is underground between house and garage so that's a no go but I'll have a mesh node in here so should be ok. We stream fine in the home so should be ok here.
AgLA06
AG
Sea Speed said:

So looking to get drywall done next week. Is there anything I should address before that that I may have forgotten?

I am adding a small well, adding bracing for a TV, done with plumbing, nearly done with electrical, putting up new insulation.

Surely I am forgetting something and could certainly use another POV before I screw myself.
Take photos of everything when done before closing up. Dimension with tape measures from nearest point is helpful later when needing to locate a plumbing, electrical, blocking issue.

Also, in case of selling, having photos that show you did insulation / utilities to code can be helpful.
Sea Speed
AG
Was talking to my wife about plans and as this thread shows I haven't worked on it in a while so I completely forgot that I was supposed to build a wall behind where the peninsula is going. Facepalm and add it to the list.
Sea Speed
AG
I also realized the door to the bathrooms framing was added to make it a 24" door and wasn't supporting anything so I took it out to put in a 30" door. Only rub now is that the frame around the door will not be a simple 2x4 width so the trim is going to be a little awkward.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I would add blocking in the wall for towel racks, toilet papers holders, etc that you plan to mount on the walls. Gives you more flexibility for hanging and you're not bound to the stud.
Sea Speed
AG
Great idea and just started on that.

Finished the little wall the kitchen cabinets will go up against.

Whoop Delecto
AG
Sea Speed
AG
Interesting on boric acid. I spray my whole place with bifen it or xts and don't have much issues, but can't ever fight bugs too hard.
Sea Speed
AG
Ok I have a dilemma. I want to install a 28" door but the frame is wider than a 2x4 so it will be funky. Anyone ever done that before? If I took an 1/8" off of a 2x4 I could fit one on both sides so that it is a normal jamb. As it is now, I could fit a 2x4 on one side and the other side of the door will be against a jamb that is about an inch too wide. I REALLY do not want to downgrade to a 24 inch door.
Gary79Ag
AG
Install "No Nail" plates wherever plumbing or electrical runs through studs...
aka The Lavaca County Legend
Sea Speed
AG
You know you've got little kids when you're using a Crayola marker to mark your cuts.
Sea Speed
AG
Wow one of my t lex fittings is leaking and I repaired it and it is still leaking. Must have a gouge in it. Back to the store. Oddly enough one of my pex brass ball valves is leaking too. Not sure what to think about that other than I should have charged the line months ago when I actually did the plumbing.
Sea Speed
AG
Drywall

Sea Speed
AG
Man this Wagner airless paint sprayer is awesome.
Sea Speed
AG
Got the place painted and installed a couple of the lights. Next up will be cabinets and then flooring. We have friends with a bunch of kids so I added fans that take air in to that little cubby back there which will have a twin mattress as well as another small room that would fit a pack and play for a baby to sleep while giving parents the main room. There are also lights in both areas. We wanted to maximize the space and have room for friends with several kids so this seemed to be the best way to go about that. Can't wait to have houseguests have their own space! Be a few more weeks until I can put the cabinets in.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.