Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Down to Stud 'Renovation' Process and Tips

10,307 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Sea Speed
BenTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking good. Lot of progress in a short time
Sea Speed
AG
Leggo My Elko
AG
Do tell.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Leggo My Elko said:

Do tell.
Have you ever done a 'down to the studs' project? Here's a roadmap of this project for reference.

Sea Speed
AG

Leggo My Elko
AG
Sea Speed
AG
When I built that little wall I very obviously was not laying close enough attention. It's ok though, they will stick out an extra inch and a half and I will put a trim piece in the cabinets in the other wall and move them down, but I definitely thought I was going to be ripping out drywall and cutting an inch off the 2x4s on that little wall.

Here's what it will look like.
Sea Speed
AG
And to make the other side with the sink base that will now be sticking out past the wall, I will make a little decorative built in so the cabinets and wall are back to lining up, similar to this.

Sea Speed
AG
For a little more clarification, the built in shelf will go on the wall to the right here where the cabinet is sticking off so it will look like the cabinets take up the whole wall again. Not ideal, but better than having to redo that wall. Oh well, lesson learned.
Sea Speed
AG
Just some trim work left on the cabinets.

jaggiemaggie
AG
Maybe you did but can't tell from the picture, but curious why you didn't replace the original aluminum single pane window?
Sea Speed
AG
Tbh it didn't even cross my mind. I probably still could as I haven't trimmed it out yet. Hmm.
Sea Speed
AG
Also for people with experience, would you lat down sheathing over that subfloor for LVP or just go straight for it?
jaggiemaggie
AG
Might not be a bad idea, cheap(ish) update and less mess now than later
rilloaggie
AG
Sea Speed said:

Also for people with experience, would you lat down sheathing over that subfloor for LVP or just go straight for it?

https://a.co/d/7LWwiLG

I put this down under my LVP. HD sells rolls that are basically the same but blue plastic and claim anti microbial properties. Mine is installed on concrete and they definitely provide a tiny bit of extra padding. Might cut down on noise on a second floor install. I'd double check the installation info of whatever flooring you bought to make sure it doesn't void any warranties or anything like that.
Sea Speed
AG
I've got a moisture barrier underlayment, but the sheathing would ensure a purely flat surface, just not sure if it is necessary.
Sea Speed
AG
The window is double paned, I had never paiduch atte ruin to it and just checked before I went down the rabbit hole on replacing a window.

Sea Speed
AG
So here's is how I solved my "don't know how to measure before I build a wall" problem, which actually isn't much of a problem because pulling those cabinets forward actually gives more height to the above counter space due to the slope of the ceiling.

Added a 2" trim piece to the non sink side and a 3" trim piece to the sink side. That gives me a 2inch overhang on the hall side of the sink base, which is where I will put that built in shelf area I posted a pic of before, which really will add a little bit of customization to the apartment. You should be able to get a better idea from the photos.

billyjack2009
Be sure when you pick cabinet and drawer pulls that they don't protrude so much that the left most drawer on the right cabinet can't open due to the right most drawer on the left cabinet. Maybe there's more space there than I'm seeing but it's something to consider.
Sea Speed
AG
Oh yes well aware, but the only concerning one is a false front on top so shouldn't be an issue anyways.
Sea Speed
AG
Flooring is done. Added a pad and moisture barrier and sure glad I did as it makes walking around much more pleasant.

The little crawl space that is lit has a fan that blows air from the main space in to it and we will have a little twin bed down there as a kids hideaway. The dark crawlspace will be storage, and I will be installing a light down there, but no way to put a fan in. Need to figure out a good way to kind of section it off.

Picked up truly 6" tall primed pine baseboards yesterday for just over $1 a linear foot. If I would have bought the whole pallet they would have been less than $1. Incredible price.

Sea Speed
AG
Also got the AC installed and dammit boy I wish I would have done that sooner but a little suffering builds character.

Sea Speed
AG
Learned to wallpaper in the absolute easiest possible space known to man.

Sea Speed
AG
Made one bad cut at the top so now I get to add a piece of trim.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
A wise man once told me stuff like this is "one of the inevitabilities of being handy and having a wife". Sure looks like this counts to me.

And it looks good. Nice touch.
Sea Speed
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

A wise man once told me stuff like this is "one of the inevitabilities of being handy and having a wife". Sure looks like this counts to me.

And it looks good. Nice touch.

That dude is an absolute genius.
Sea Speed
AG
I was dead sick last week and wife and I were out of town last weekend, then our dog died so first time getting up here in a while. Fit a little bit of trim work in today. We decided to not put doors on the entry way space so the place feels more open. Will have some kids seats and the like in there to create some separation from parents.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.