Home Improvement
Sponsored by

AC Capacitor Replacement Questions

1,808 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Troy91
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Was wanting to have a spare capacitor or two on hand for my 15 year old (new unit to me) York unit just in case. Opened the panel this morning and was surprised to find two capacitors. Is the oval one just for the fan? Never seen two in my previous units.

Anyway. Went to supplyhouse.com and was going to buy these two to have on hand. Is Titan an OK brand or just more cheap Chinese garbage? There is Mars brand but on backorder

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Titan-Pro-TRCFD605-60-5-MFD-Round-Dual-Motor-Run-Capacitor-440-370V

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Titan-Pro-TOCF5-5-MFD-Oval-Motor-Run-Capacitor-440-370V

BenTheGoodAg
AG
From an EE perspective, seems strange. Maybe it came that way from the factory, but I have my doubts.

Bottom capacitor is "dual run", so it can serve both the compressor (60uF - H terminal) and the fan (5uF - F terminal). Appears like this is only wired to serve the H terminal (black wire). It looks like they abandoned the 5uF side and installed a dedicated 5uF for the fan. Functionally, either wiring method works.

Speculating, but could just be what the tech had on hand when replacing a capacitor. Maybe there were originally two separate single run capacitors and the bottom one was replaced with a dual run. Or maybe they had repeated failures in hot summer conditions, and separating the two will run a little cooler and increase the lifespan. I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I'd look for a USA made replacement if you can find it (AMRAD?), should be a minor cost increase.

I could be wrong - An HVAC expert could chime in and educate me.
EMY92
AG
One is a start capacitor, the other is a run capacitor.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Do I need both?
UmustBKidding
This is an obvious replacement situation. Looks like the 5mfd terminal on the combined capacitor is missing or broken. This may be because the run cap (for the condenser fan) failed and they replaced it with what they had on the truck. The pipe strap bracket give its away. But I am not a fan of the combined units myself. If the fan motor fails many replacement, on some motors are wired differently and the cap has to be wired to internal tap on the winding and you cannot use the one in the combined unit. So in your case I would buy a 60 and a 5 mfd preferably with 440VAC rating, and the appropriate bracket if they don't match the original parts. I also would buy a replacement contactor/relay that is just to the left of the 5Mfd cap.
I personally don't buy the gold plated no molecules from outside the US parts like amrad, not because they are bad, but because they are just gouging with the price. I have never had to replace a replacement I have installed and they typically are $7 mexico parts.
Yes you need both, 60 is the start cap for the compressor, the 5 is the run cap for the fan motor.
TheMoneyMike
AG
Having two isn't uncommon. The oval one is for the fan. You can replace it with a dual capacitor for both the compressor and fan or keep them separate is fine too.
AgResearch
AG
That looks farmerized...doubt that's how it came from factory.
Dill-Ag13
AG
My A/C requires a 45uf capacitor, I've replaced it with a 45/5 and have a 45/7.5 on hand as a spare. Just using the one side. Likely a replacement and they used what they had.
Dr. Venkman
AG
You can google your condenser model number and get it straight from the horse's mouth what should be in there.

Titan is a good brand, but get Titan HD which is made in the U.S. I believe Titan Pro is made in China.

You could maybe source them cheaper at an local HVAC supply.
jt2hunt
AG
TheMoneyMike said:

Having two isn't uncommon. The oval one is for the fan. You can replace it with a dual capacitor for both the compressor and fan or keep them separate is fine too.
TruService HVAC
Sponsor
Based on the image it appears that your fan motor has been replaced and the technician elected to install an independent capacitor for the fan. I would be curious to know what the compressor side of the dual run cap reads. It could be that the fan side failed and caused the motor failure. In cases like that I replace the dual because if the fan side failed the compressor side isn't far behind, seen it too many times.

As an AC contractor I'm obligated to tell you not to buy a capacitor and call me when it fails! lol.

But as a jack of all trades myself if you're mildly competent then I support you keeping one on hand. I'd buy a dual run and when the time comes put them all back on one. You'd cut and wire nut the brown/white fan wire and put the brown on the fan terminal. Titan is imported junk but would be fine on a unit of that vintage and especially to get you out of a bind.

Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Well crap. I ordered the Titan HD USA made brand yesterday, both types. Thanks for the wiring instructions. Will refer back to this when needed. I only do a little DIY. I know when I'm about to get in over my head. When I reach that point will definitely give you a call.
TruService HVAC
Sponsor
Good deal.

I have no experience with the HD USA made. We only stock Amrad and we have had great success with them.

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Well crap. I ordered the Titan HD USA made brand yesterday, both types. Thanks for the wiring instructions. Will refer back to this when needed. I only do a little DIY. I know when I'm about to get in over my head. When I reach that point will definitely give you a call.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
So I received what I ordered yesterday. All the numbers and the shapes are the same. But the new ones are like half the size of the old ones. Does that matter since the numbers are all the same?
UmustBKidding
Numbers matter size doesn't as long as the will fit the enclosure
Troy91
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Numbers matter size doesn't as long as the will fit the enclosure

Words to live by.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.