Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Master bath remodel thoughts?

2,321 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by dubi
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bam02 said:

You'd still want something screening/obscuring the window, though, right?
The existing window opening will be closed off leaving only a narrow horizontal window at head height.

Green would be the new window.

bam02
AG
I need to really discuss the window situation with our contractor. That's facing the street so I don't want to get into matching brick. We don't have any other contrasting materials like stone or other color brick on the house. And it's a pretty old acme brick.
htxag09
AG
bam02 said:

You'd still want something screening/obscuring the window, though, right?

It would depend on the height of the window and what's on the other side. This is the shower of our new house. The two windows on the back wall are just clear. No issues with the houses behind us seeing into any part of the bathroom. The window on the side has frosted film because there's a two story home next door that could potentially see in from a second story window.

cab559
AG
These numbers seem pretty good to me for that size bathroom.

I don't want to de-rail this thread but I'm looking to fully gut our upstairs hall bathroom and received a quote for $39k (turnkey). While a smaller space, this is all new custom cabinetry/trim and requires moving plumbing, electrical, and all new drywall. Will be a completely brand new bathroom when done.

My jaw almost dropped to the floor but I think this must be the going rate if you want something custom and done correctly (similar to OP, I have used this contractor before and inclined to use again).

Am I crazy to think this is acceptable? Last time I remodeled something was 2020 so if I thought this would have cost ~$25k, $40k must be the going rate now.
chick79
AG
I did a full remodel of my house starting in 2017 and we finished in 2020 (a month before Covid hit). We dropped $175k on everything. My general contractor told me a couple of months ago if we were to do this now, we'd be looking at close to 300k. Supply chain issues, labor shortages and Biden inflation are the main reasons.
dubi
AG
cab559 said:

These numbers seem pretty good to me for that size bathroom.

I don't want to de-rail this thread but I'm looking to fully gut our upstairs hall bathroom and received a quote for $39k (turnkey). While a smaller space, this is all new custom cabinetry/trim and requires moving plumbing, electrical, and all new drywall. Will be a completely brand new bathroom when done.

My jaw almost dropped to the floor but I think this must be the going rate if you want something custom and done correctly (similar to OP, I have used this contractor before and inclined to use again).

Am I crazy to think this is acceptable? Last time I remodeled something was 2020 so if I thought this would have cost ~$25k, $40k must be the going rate now.
Have you considered a remodel that uses the same layout? Then you don't have the issue of moving plumbing and electrical.

cab559
AG
Yeah - doesn't work as we are improving the space for two boys to share.
dubi
AG
cab559 said:

Yeah - doesn't work as we are improving the space for two boys to share.

My kids shared a 5 x 8 bath in a 1960's house and survived the experience. We updated it, but to the tune of $2,500 for new cabinets, fixtures, and tile and hubby did all the labor. We did not have the space to make it any bigger so it was a make do situation. Older homes present a real challenge.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.