Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Back door suggestions

1,487 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Kenneth_2003
gabehcoud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've installed self closing hinges for when the kids leave the door open.

This has helped, however there's still the issue of them opening the door and standing there for absolutely no reason holding the door open.

Thinking a tasteful electric shock after say 5 seconds might do the trick. Was thinking a small solar panel would suffice for power but need advice on how to rig the timed shock delay. TIA
ComeAndTakeIt
Ha… I put the self closing hinges on our doors when the kids were young. Maybe spray them with a water gun if you notice them loitering in the doorway.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
tgivaughn
AG
Well, you might try something like this
https://www.tahoebearbusters.com/bear-deterrents/electric-doormats/

gabehcoud
I get your sense of humor pal! hahaha
There are times when such thoughts pass by then the kids do something angelic ....
IMHO and am sticking to it
BrazosDog02
AG
What on earth is going on with this forum? We got people trying to lock their kids in their rooms and others trying deliver electrical shocks and punitive consequence.

Seriously, what the hell? Maybe spend less time trying to figure these things out and more time with basic parenting. Even going back old school like my dad in the 80's would be better. He'd ask me one time about the door being left open. Then he'd tell me one time. The third time, he's putting a belt on my ass because at that point the lecture part of the instruction was over.
Picard
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

What on earth is going on with this forum?

I know, right? Can't believe this forum has let the thread title go unnoticed so far.

tgivaughn
AG
Love this
exactly what my grandma would be thinking
but she had to survive the Great Depression ...
IMHO and am sticking to it
BrazosDog02
AG
Picard said:

BrazosDog02 said:

What on earth is going on with this forum?

I know, right? Can't believe this forum has let the thread title go unnoticed so far.

GD! How the hell did we miss that? Good catch! Should go downhill pretty quick now.
BrazosDog02
AG
ddp
mefoghorn
AG
Well, as long as the electric shock is tasteful . . .
javajaws
AG
mefoghorn said:

Well, as long as the electric shock is tasteful . . .
some people like more voltage than others!

Seriously though (well, not seriously) - you can use an aquarium controller to:

1. monitor the door open/close state
2. start a timer to delay turning on a designated device via either a relay controlled outlet or a 0-10v DC trigger.
3. To then turn on some device to deliver the shock with a voltage/amperage of your choice.
4. And then turn off such device after either x amount of time or whenever something else happens (like the door closing or a water on floor sensor triggering when your kid pees on the floor from shock).
Kenneth_2003
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

ddp
You prognosticate the thread goes downhill with a ddp... I mean the options here are plentiful

As for OP... good old fashioned action and immediate consequence based punishment is called for.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.