Home Improvement
Sponsored by

locking room door from outside

1,151 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by BrazosDog02
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any better ideas for being able to lock a kid in their room?

Doesn't look like the handle hardware I have can be swapped to have the lock button on the outside.

My best idea as of now is a bolt latch into the door frame.
agnerd
AG
Never seen a handle that couldn't be swapped.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
One-sided door knob? I have fear about a fire emergency and my kid being stuck in their room.
BrazosDog02
AG
Have you considered building a tall tower and then putting them in the top?
PleaseNoL01
My kids are teenagers now, but when they were little we put a door jam type thing on the top of their door. They could still open the door enough to call for us if they needed help but not enough to get out. We bought it at Babies R Us I think so there might be one on Amazon now.
Sazerac
AG
These are lever handles with the pin lock on the inside. Perhaps there is a way to swap the internal little lock piece to the other side but I can't figure it out.
gabehcoud
My parents locked my little brother in his room when he was 4 or 5. 30 years later the hole he kicked in the door is still there. It worked though

I absolutely would do it for my twins if the wife would let me. (pick your battles)
coolerguy12
AG
Take everything off and just put it back the other way. And don't listen to the haters, we did the exact same thing for 2 of our 3 kids.
BQRyno
AG
There are contraptions that lock the handle in place. I'll find a link.
BQRyno
AG
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07RVGYRL6?psc=1
Sazerac
AG
We have similar. The 4 year old has been undoing those for over a year.

I figured out how to reuse the handset. Didn't realize the cylinder catch latch could be spun around when you switch orientation of the main lock.

Still afraid he's going to put a hole in the door, or just destroy the handle in the process.
bam02
AG
As a kid we just had the little hook and eye hardware (like you might have on and old house screen door) screwed into the door and frame.

Worked for me. That **** was devastating to me. I'm sure I could have busted out but I knew better than to try.
AgResearch
AG
Don't do this.

There are better ways to get a kid to stop leaving their room at night.
BQRyno
AG
Different kids react to different things. Never needed one for my oldest. Did it old school. He figured it out. My daughter didn't. We finally had enough and tried the door lock and after the first night we had 0 problems. She doesn't even try to leave her room. She just had to know that she didn't have an option. Maybe don't be so quick to judge methods. I'm positive every parent here has done things others wouldn't approve of.
Whoop Delecto
AG
chickencoupe16
AG
AgResearch said:

Don't do this.

There are better ways to get a kid to stop leaving their room at night.

I can't say for certain that there aren't better ways but I do know for certain that it only took 15 minutes of crying on 1 night for my daughter to figure bedtime out.
dtkprowler
AG
We had to flip the handle on our kiddo as well after a lot of hard battles. Was the first night of telling her it now locks, and about 5 minutes of crying and the war was over. Never had a problem again. We did keep it up over the next few nights just in case it didn't sink in. What we didn't tell her, is that we would go unlock it right after she fell asleep. We didn't want her locked in overnight in the event of emergency or nightmare or whatever, just when she was fighting going to sleep.
BrazosDog02
AG
I wanted to be a tough parent like my old man. We didn't do locks. You went to your room and you stayed there until given further instruction or you got an ass whipping that was worth remembering.

When my kids act up and they get attitude and bow up or raise their voice, I'm the kind of person that finds it funny and then o can't help but chuckle and then all of my power as a disciplinarian is down the drain. I'll laugh at a funeral and am most easily amused. It's really not great when trying to be serious.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.