Home Improvement
Sponsored by

AC Duct Plenum Question

520 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by Bonfire97
Bonfire97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone know if it is OK to install a new duct collar to the back wall of the HVAC "supply box"/plenum? That is, on the end of it, where the squirrel cage blower is blowing directly towards.

Or, can you only have ducts leaving the sides of it so all the blowing air hits that back wall and reflects backwards to pressurize the box?

Thanks in advance.
Jason_Roofer
As my handle indicates, this is well outside of my realm. However, having dealt with issues in the past while remodeling, i have run into this. It is my understanding that this is not an acceptable means of adding a duct. In fact, even when coming off perpendicularly, the duct is supposed to be a certain distance from the end of the plenum. It is my understanding that you will end up with a crap ton of air and pressure that direction and everything else will suffer. Again, take my commentary with a grain of salt, but that is my understanding that it's not OK.

I believe there is an 18" requirement from the back of the wall and the idea is that pressure should build from there to the front to each of your branch ducts. I think....
Bonfire97
AG
Quote:

I believe there is an 18" requirement from the back of the wall and the idea is that pressure should build from there to the front to each of your branch ducts. I think....
Thanks, and that would make complete sense. I think I am just going to see if I have a slot I can cutout further away from that back wall so I keep a good pressure buildup in there.
ukbb2003
To piggyback, your longest branch runs should be closer to the end of the plenum, while the shorter runs should be closer to the blower.
88agswin
AG
Ditto what Jason said....do NOT put in on the end of the plenum opposite the blower....never.....never.....never!!
[URL]http://wiseguyscooling.com [/URL]
Bonfire97
AG
Thanks all for the replies. I really appreciate the help.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.