Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Septic system options

1,050 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by OnlyForNow
Ags_2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am building a house and need a septic system. If given an option to do traditional vs aerobic what is better?
Bonfire97
AG
If you have option to go gravity-fed, then 100% go that route. All the other options (low-dose, aerobic) require maintenance. Those really should only be used in poor soil permeability situations, IMO.
Ags_2002
AG
I am in very sandy soil, 20+ acres, and nice elevation change. So thinking traditional will be allowable.
Furlock Bones
AG
definitely go traditional.
Bonfire97
AG
You should be in great shape then. If your septic contractor tells you otherwise, find someone else.
tgivaughn
AG
Turn back the clock a few decades please so I can elect NOT having any septic pumps whatsoever! UGH
IMHO and am sticking to it
The System
AG
I've had an aerobic system for 8 years. No issues other than needing the tanks pumped every few years. I have a maintenance contract that runs $250/year. They come out quarterly to inspect and add tabs.
OnlyForNow
AG
Pretty small fee but you're extremely lucky.
UmustBKidding
Many counties require aerobic even when soil conditions would be fine with much simpler systems. When we built my house we were set to install a low pressure dosing system and no one even knew what one was.
You might ask what is even allowed. Not sure in this county they even know what direction effluent flows.
Courtesy Flush
AG
Septic contractors will almost always say that an aerobic system is required. I saw a question asked on here once about the jurisdiction of county authorities to force someone to put in an aerobic system. I understand and agree that a land owner should not allow their sewage to run into the ditches, but why should the county be able to tell a land owner that they must install a system that treats the sewage differently if ultimately it is all contained on the land owners property?
OnlyForNow
AG
It's not really about "treating" sewage differently. It's about how to get rid of effluent (treated, but brown) water.

Easier to say that aerobic systems won't get water off property via the sprinkler system, harder to say with a leech field or pump system.

I think it stated innocently, and is now just an extra fee the county gets (and now wants) for managing paper work.

Think of it like converting your garage into livable (air conditioned space), never tell anyone until you're ready to sell your house because you'll be taxed on the additional AC'd square footage.
Courtesy Flush
AG
You are right. I did not mean treating as in the sense that it is treated from a sewage treatment perspective. Bad wording on my part.

I just meant that a landowner should be able to decide whether he wants to utilize a conventional or aerobic system on his own property as long as it does not affect his neighbors. He should also disclose what type of system is in place when the property is sold. I question what authority the county has to force a landowner to spend $15,000 on an aerobic system plus all the additional maintenance and repairs just because they deem the soil has too much clay in it.
OnlyForNow
AG
Whole heartedly agree with your main point.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.